Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,012 total)
  • Training and diet talk…
  • cinnamon_girl

Got to laugh at these ‘obsessives’. 😆

Having once been an ‘obsessive’, ie running 6 days a week with the odd twice in a day, I’m glad I saw the light.

Along came a bike … 🙄

mcboo
    Free Member

THM thanks, will look at Karvonen

iDave
    Free Member

Interesting, my comments on training when on the paleo diet seem to have been taken on board.

In what way? Missed that bit (seriously)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mcboo – its very simple, I explained it on previous page.

Instead of simple % age of max HR

Take Max HR minus resting HR
    Then take % ages
    Then add back the resting HR

Really simple. You can put on a spreadsheet to adjust for changes (lowering 😉 ) of RHR

Solo
    Free Member

Running is so simple, it’s horrid but there’s so little faff.

My OS will not permit running

However, I do have….

😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C’mon Edukator – show them all that you’re a good guy.

My guess is that you’ll say…

Cut back on swimming as I can’t make up that much time there… however I’m rubbish at it so I’m desperately trying to sort out technique.

Increase the running – this is now my top priority.

Rest some more.
    Please 🙂

Solo – what is OS?

We’re not obsessive C-G.

Solo
    Free Member

Interesting, my comments on training when on the paleo diet seem to have been taken on board.

In what way? Missed that bit (seriously)

iDave.
    I’m just trying to ignore him.
    Like I couldn’t have come to my conclusion before he turned up.

I replied to your e-mail.
    Did you get it or are you still having e-problems ?.

CG.
    You mention the bike.
    Have you managed to try the road bike ?.
    Lovely weather lately for a gentle spin.
    😉

matt_bl
    Free Member

I think Edukator has called win on this. Everyone else should record it as a ‘loss’ and report back here next week for re-training.

Matt

Solo
    Free Member

Solo – what is OS?

Operating System.
    I used a computer based, Jamie style, analogy for my objection to running.
    Oh, but, Jamie is the running man.
    Oh, my bads.

Thanks for trying, but running is probably out, except when I run about with nephew once in a while, kicking a ball about on the park.
    I can still out sprint him, but I’ll not have the upper hand for too much longer.
    In a year or two he’ll speed up.
    But I’ll still be giving 100 percent.
    😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There were plenty of triathletes on TriTalk who followed the Paleo Diet (including IMers). There is a whole thread on it if my memory serves me correctly.

iDave
    Free Member

I think you’ll find you’re wrong there THM, edukator knows these things. You can’t live let alone compete without generous amounts of bread pasta and potatoes.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Can we talk about tri-training instead of diet, for a few posts at least? C’mon Edukator, learn me up good.

Jamie
    Free Member

Operating System.
    I used a computer based, Jamie style, analogy for my objection to running.
    Oh, but, Jamie is the running man.
    Oh, my bads.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I cant tell whether that is serious iDave or a joke, but I know that you and Edukator don’t see eye-to-eye judging from the other thread!!

But if anyone is interested this was one of them:

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81488&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

TSY – you must be the first triathlete that doesn’t stress time in the bike as top priority!! You cant win a tri in the swim but you can certainly lose one!!

[damn, I am trying to wean myself off triathlons and TriTalk!!]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

THM – it’s by far my strongest discipline currently. Plus, I’m not going to win… so therefore, can’t really lose. Just want to do my best!

Jamie
    Free Member

You really should be doing more training if you ever want to win, TSY.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ah, I see. It was my weakest (cycling) and still is and that was a drawback especially on HIM etc. Now I am a new convert to my bike and do much less running.

Jamie – actually that seems only an average schedule for most age groupers (sorry TSY) – no chance of winning off that (again sorry TSY)

[edit for the post below – OK iDave, its a nice swim and ride to a 10k running race !!!]

iDave
    Free Member

bike for show, run for dough…

Jamie
    Free Member

bike for show, run for dough

Nice National Bread Week reference!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I might buy a French Stick tonight, just like I celebrated national pie week.

THM – I’ve been saying that for ages about my training volume… it really isn’t a lot!

Solo
    Free Member

bike for show, run for dough…

I like my bike.
    Its about 11 years old, I bought it in France while I was working there on the Mk 2 Focus.
    has quite old spec stuff on it.
    But its still around 9 Kg and I love to use it.
    Ali frame, MTB pedals, 105 gear set.

Solo
    Free Member

Does this explain the lactate thingy ?.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TSY – one reason why I never went beyond HIM. The required volume for a full IM is just too much to fit in with family and work (at least for me) and I had no interest in plodding round a full IM.

HIM is much more do-able with reasonable performance and great balance between speed and endurance for my age (ie 45-50). Just so stupidly expensive!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

THM – I know a couple of guys who do IM. One who’s reasonable at it and is just naturally gifted, the other not so but gets up at 4am for training rides and has a job that pretty much allows him to be in the gym allday… not for me ta.

cinnamon_girl

Solo – why are you so anti-running? I’m sorry that I’m so useless – wussed out of riding the road bike but had op around 10 days ago. I dunno. 😕

Solo
    Free Member

Solo – why are you so anti-running? I’m sorry that I’m so useless – wussed out of riding the road bike but had op around 10 days ago. I dunno.

CG.
    I’m not against anyone else running, but I don’t.
    I use to enjoy a sprint, but the long stuff was difficult even as a young skinny streak of a teenager.
    Also, I just found it to be soooo boring.
    In my limited experience, the only time during adulthood I could run, was about 10 yrs ago after my apendectomy.
    I was sub 11 stone, very thin and lean after a short stay in Hopsital.
    Then I found I could run with little effort at all.
    But still found it boring.

I only asked about the bike to give some constructive encouragement.
    Just give it a gentle pootle on a quiet road, may be make it a reward journey with something nice at the end.
    Be good to know that you’ve managed to get back to using your road bike.
    Post Op recovery permitting.
    How are you then ?.

cinnamon_girl

Solo – running needn’t be boring, you just need to mix it up and treat each run as a session. So one day a week was an off-road hill session, another day was endurance, another was mix it up with sprinting between lamp posts, bit of track work etc etc.

Off road is the best especially at this time of year when there are bluebells to be admired, birdsong to hear, lambs gambolling and the British countryside is to be enjoyed. 8)

No bikey for around 2 months, quaffing pain killers and anti-inflammatories still, without much relief. Thanks for asking though. 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

Hmmm, I was running with a girl from my club at the weekend helping her do her last long before London Marathon this weekend (go Lizzie!!) we did 10 and a bit miles at 8’40 min/miles and were talking happily, HR…66%

THM is spot on!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sooooo…

I’ve been doing a bit of research into porridge…

Seems to score low on GI and II and high on satiety. I’ve been eating 120g or so a day probably at times when I would’ve snacked on bread or maybe chocolate.

Is there something better that I could eat, why?

IanMunro
    Free Member

What
    Chocolate Eclairs

Why
    Taste nicer.

I have porridge too each day, but mainly because there are never any Eclairs about.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You should buy more eclairs!

I reckon that Cadbury’s Eclairs mixed in with porridge might actually work, hmmm.

emsz
    Free Member

I don’t think I could move if I had 120g of porridge. LOL

Honey or golden syrup is the important question 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

80g for breakfast emsz and another 40 in the evening or blended in a smoothy.

Ummm, I’m out of golden syrup so I mix it up with…

Peanut Butter & banana
    Honey
    Dried Fruit and Nuts
    Plain
    Or on Friday I had it with custard and grated chocolate.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Microwave porridge with a creme egg or two put in for the last 20 seconds
    food of champions (on iDay off of course) 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mini-Creme Eggs!!

I was going to add some galaxy caramel the other night…

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve been doing a bit of research into porridge…

Seems to score low on GI and II and high on satiety.

Made with water and a pinch of salt, or with full fat milk and golden syrup? 🙂

Day 1 of iDiet in the miketually household: I had bacon and fried eggs for breakfast and the Mrs had the same but with added mushrooms and tomatoes (and less bacon).

iDave
    Free Member

don’t forget veg too – spinach, asparagus, broccoli, all work with egg/pig combos

miketually
    Free Member

Just found another iDiet-friendly recipe on Stone Soup for a lentil-based tabbouleh.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Right energy geeks, what do you think of Super-Starch?

http://www.generationucan.com/pdf/technical-breakthrough-sports-innovation.pdf

Personally I associate Super Starch with some Daz washing powder advert, but maybe it really is 100% awesome! ?

Solo
    Free Member

Well. I popped to the gym mid morning.

I hit the bike and the free weights.

First thing I’ve had to eat today was lunch.
    Chicken breast, tuna and a flippin scotch egg.

Will I crash and burn this afternoon ?.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,012 total)

The topic ‘Training and diet talk…’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM