Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That must be a new thing, or a special offer.

I just saw somewhere that the cadence sensor was part of an offer.

I was attracted to the Neo because of the rocking motion it had, and when I set the Kickr up I suddenly thought that I might have made a mistake and should have waited for the Neo, as the rigidity of the back end made standing feel funny.

But I had also considered before I bought it that the Kickr has a central brace and two side ones that you level so it might afford a bit of rocking if you didn’t lower the feet all the way.

Sure enough it did but I wondered about the long term effect of the impact of the side arms touching the ground.

So I looked in my hifi accessories draw and pulled out some sorbothane feet and have put them under the two lateral feet (feet wound up fully and sorbothane gorilla taped) and also under the front contact point of the central brace.

The back part of the stand still contacts the ground and there is a uber-slight tilt backwards because of the sorbothane pad under the front foot of the central brace – but this flattens out once I get on the bike.

So the amount of motion laterally is not as much as when the feet were just wound up, but there is give because of the sorbothane and standing up feels pretty OK, and not alien to when normally cycling.

It might compromise the power readings and I may take them off later when more used to the trainer, but the feel seems better to me than the raw Kickr.

The Kickr is also on a Kickr mat, so that might also help the feel.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Had a right slump this week, no motivation, did 2 sessions last week then 110 miles on Sunday then nothing this week, didn’t go out on Thursday nor today, when I had the chance, nothing on the turbo either

The turn in weather hadn’t helped, missing the whole summer feels like I’ve ridden an endless winter, with only bad weather to come if that makes sense

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Right, re-newed the subscription and plan to kick things off again next week. (One of the best features of TR is the ability to shut it down and start it up again with all your data still in place).

Had a complete summer away from competitive cycling and just concentrated on running so I expect to see my FTP drop through the floor before it slowly rises again to somewhere approaching respectable.

Love it that this thread is still going, I find very inspirational 8)

Kryton57

I plan to start next week also – 2 weeks late. Did 70k with some club members today and struggled badly. No power and panting like a dog on heat on the climbs, 40w / 15% less average weighted power than pre illness ides. It did feel good to be riding though. No muscular pain so I know the issues are aerobic.

I really don’t want to start with an FTP test 😐

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Bought a platform for the top of a camera tripod to hold the laptop on – loaded up Zwift and did a bit of some california route.

Think I am going to use TR though – want some shorter, more focused stuff. Zwift said that it will be having structured workout from November (I think).

Made a bit of a mess with the Suunto mini move stick – installed the Suunto software, then the TrainerRoad USB drivers, and the TR couldn’t see any ANT USB device.

So I uninstalled the Suunto and TR stuff and then put the TR stuff back on, then it was OK.

Then I went through pairing stuff up in TR but it couldn’t see the Kickr. That appears to be because I paired to the power meter first, which I shouldn’t have done as the Kickr is the power meter, so as soon as I unpaired the power meter it could see the Kickr.

Tried to get the Suunto ANT dongle to work on my Nexus 10 as it doesn’t have BLE, but I think I need to root it to install software to let it do it, and the same with the options to enable BLE.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice set up.

Extra marks for an extension lead directly under the where the pool of sweat will occur 😯

Kryton57

Shocking.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Extra marks for an extension lead directly under the where the pool of sweat will occur

Noted – but I haven’t finished yet – I have some fans to mount on the walls and so the extension will take a different path, or be a different one.

The ceiling and walls are a bit cluttered but once I have mounted the fans I was thinking about suing those wifi plugs, then I can fire them up as needed from my phone which will be on that mount on the handlebars!

On Zwift how do people keep making comments – aren’t they suppossed to be riding – are are they using voice recognition ???

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Just thought I’d chirp in and give a thumbs up to trainerroad.

I’ve always known how effective trainerroad / turbo training can be but I’ve always ridden outdoors all year round so never really got into the swing of a turbo plan or similar.

I broke my collar bone about 7 weeks ago pretty badly so I’m not going to be able to ride outdoors for the rest of the year. I started the short power build a few weeks back and I’m really getting into it. I did the sufferfest FTP test and was pleased to see I’m still in pretty good shape considering I’ve been off the bike for almost a month.

Once I’ve finished this 8 week plan I’ll move onto the XC short track plan.

I’m already 100% sure I’ll be fitter than I’ve ever been before after this.

Roll on next years XC races, I’ll be ready to dish out some pain like never before!

Haze

On Zwift how do people keep making comments – aren’t they suppossed to be riding – are are they using voice recognition ???

There’s a mobile companion app, doesn’t work for me but I assumed they were using it.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of the correct ANT+ dongle adapted for a lightening ipad / iphone socket?

I’ve got the old 15 pin(?) iPad so the dongle just plugs straight in but I understand I need an adapter to use it on a newer device with the lightening socket?

Thanks

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve not seen a dongle with a lightning plug which would be a tidier solution and odd seeing as the lightning connection has been around for a while now. I think the only current option is to buy one of these which is about as expensive as the actual dongle:

15 pin to lightning adapter

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Thanks, thats what i’m looking for. I bought a cheap adapter but it only works for charging and doesnt seem to recognise the Ant+ dongle.

DanW
    Free Member

Nice setup TurnerGuy 😀 I really like the camera tripod idea. My laptop sits on an upturned bucket, how’s that for posh 8)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nice setup TurnerGuy

Getting some docking stations for the laptop so I can move it between the main setup and the bike setup easier, without having to unplug so many cables, plus I can lash the dock on to the top of that tripod table so it is more secure.

Had my first go yesterday – determined that I need more fans and I shouldn’t wear H/H Lifa long sleeve tops as they are too hot.

Got the Wahoo fitness app going on the phone on the bars as well so every minute a female voice tells me my averages for that minute.

Will start on of the base (sweet maybe) plans on TR after a few more goes so the shock of a FTP test doesn’t kill me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I have mounted the fans I was thinking about suing those wifi plugs, then I can fire them up as needed from my phone which will be on that mount on the handlebars!

Now that I like!

Are you not using the PM to control the Kickr then? Be interested to know how well that works.

Had my first go yesterday – determined that I need more fans and I shouldn’t wear H/H Lifa long sleeve tops as they are too hot.

😯 Topless turbo for me!

I really don’t want to start with an FTP test

Kryton… get on with it! 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Are you not using the PM to control the Kickr then?

PM?

At the moment I have just be playing with Zwift, so that has been controlling the Kickr – I have been running the Wahoo fitness app and letting it record a workout, but it’s not controlling anything.

jam-bo

just about to reactivate my trainerroad sub. anyone seen any promo codes around?

mrblobby
    Free Member

TurnerGuy, you can get TrainerRoad (and maybe Zwift too) to control your Kickr based on output from your Power Meter instead of the power the Kickr measures. Quite a few threads on other forums complaining about the variability of power measured by the Kickr and using this as a solution.

Kryton57

I have nagging trapezius pain and I’m sure its becuase I’m looking down at my laptop which is balanced on a footstool about 18″ of the ground.

That tripod has given me an idea to rectify it though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

This is the tripod table I bought :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001T9J9JE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

There’s a manfrotto version as well :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-183-Aluminium-Attachment-Projectors/dp/B000KZDWQ4/ref=pd_cp_421_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NJ5EYW5ACSGVX51AKEZ&dpID=41nrAea9yfL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL70_SR70%2C70_

Several complete stands on Amazon as well, but their reviews were all a bit here and there.

My laptop is a heavy Dell Precision M6600 17 inch and the table is not ideal as it is slightly too small and has a ridge around the edge, but it seems stable when everything is done up tight, and when I have lashed my docking station to it is should be better.

Kryton57

I’be been riding. I still have a slight sore throat.

An 8 min test will be fine…. right? Should I knock it down a few % top account for 4 weeks off? Or leave it at prior FTP?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Tripod table with docking station gorilla taped on (didn’t really need the lower taping):

17inch Laptop securely held :

Garry_Lager

Back on TR and in the spirit of optimism, I gave revolver a whirl this evening. My God it was hard 🙁 Managed to finish it just about.

Felt like a boss last time I did it, as well. Might have to work back up to that one.

sweaman2
    Free Member

An 8 min test will be fine…. right? Should I knock it down a few % top account for 4 weeks off? Or leave it at prior FTP?

Do you honestly think you’re still at the same level? If not I’d knock it down as otherwise I can forsee a real temptation to go out hard and fade away over the 8 minutes.

My last ftp was too long ago and I know I’m not even close so I’ll be easing myself back into it in a couple of weeks. I think especially with some of the sweetspot work that being slightly under is no bad thing as it’s a long way to racing season (for me at least)

Kryton57

Well, what a mess that 8 min test was even though I knocked 5% off my pre-illness FTP. . I lowered the % for the second 8 min becuase I couldn’t cope with the watts for the first and based on that last interval x 2 -10% I’ve lost 12% of my FTP over 5 weeks of virus badness. Sigh.

I spose I have 4 months to get back up to speed….

ferrals
    Free Member

Did carpathian peak earlier. Quite liked it, but need to do the FTP test started of at 200, then increased % effort to 120% but still don’t think that was hard enough. Good to practise trying to cycle at a specific power, which I’m finding harder than expected!

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I’m new here. Just had a lightbulb moment. Did FTP test (for first time ever) at weekend and have now just completed Downward Spiral with my personal power numbers (on TR). For past six months id been doing the videos based on my assumed power output.

Now I get why people love the stats. No hiding hey!!

Garry_Lager

Do you have any power data from when you were just riding on feel? Be interesting if you could see how your perception matches up with the numbers.

Start of revolver is funny,
    10 – I am destroying the earth with my speed
    9 – flat out sprint
    8-4 – unfortunately for you we’re not going to be spending any time here today.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

GL – no data at all. Before I did today’s session I was wondering if it would now be too hard etc. Whilst it was harder, it wasn’t that much harder which I guess is down to the fact it’s based on my FTP test. I think that was my lightbulb moment – the cleverness of the personalised power outputs and how motivating they are. I guess I’m sounding like a newbie now!

Haze

Over two workouts my Stages is averaging 9% lower than the Virtual Power.

I’ve always suspected I’m right leg heavy so could be that, although this obviously assumes TR’s power curve is spot on for my trainer (unlikely?).

Anyway, week 5 of Sweet Spot 1 and it’s all very comfortable. Hoping I can match my current FTP using the lower readings off the Stages for my next test, feeling good but seems like a set back!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Power trainer curve very unlikely to be spot on. Also I’d be very surprised if it’s consistent over the duration of a workout. As a turbo warms up it’s likely that the resistance will drop. Mine drops quite significantly over the first 20 minutes or so (as in 3 or 4 teeth on the rear cassette to maintain the same PM measured power) then more gradually for the next hour or so.

whitestone
    Free Member

Did the 8 minute FTP test tonight. First test for 6 months and it showed! 😳 FTP increased by a massive 3 Watts.

bumpy
    Free Member

I’m planning on getting started with one of the base plans next week but I’m still really undecided about which one to go for.

I’ve got reasonable base fitness at the moment and will be racing in the Brass Monkeys series over the next couple of months in the 4h category.
    My aim for next year is to try and get a couple of decent results in 12h solo races, probably 24:12 and another one later in the year.

Do you reckon I should be looking at the Traditional or Sweet Spot base plan? I’ll be doing the Mid-Volume 1 or 2 depending on which type of plan I go for.

whitestone
    Free Member

I think it depends how much time you have got available – Sweet Spot if you don’t have much. I think the Traditional base look fine if you can stand (sit?) for a long time on the turbo, but they weren’t for me.

Haze

As a turbo warms up it’s likely that the resistance will drop. Mine drops quite significantly over the first 20 minutes or so (as in 3 or 4 teeth on the rear cassette to maintain the same PM measured power)

So as the resistance drops the PM figure decreases as there’s less stress in the crank…speed and VP remain constant but you need shift up to increase the load on the cranks and restore the balance with the PM…maybe even reduce cadence to maintain the speed/VP reading?

DT78
    Free Member

Just spent 30mins setting up my kickr and comparing with the stages readings. At a fairly steady indicated 200w on the kickr in ergo mode the stages was showing 185w. Last time I sat on a stationary bike that showed balance I was 48:52 right leg so this is about right. Going to run both pms in parallel for a while till I get a decent idea of the link between the 2 as it will mean my FTP will be a fair number of watts different measured on the turbo vs the stages.

Hopefully my first taste of trainerroad tomorrow night now I’ve got it set up.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So as the resistance drops the PM figure decreases as there’s less stress in the crank…speed and VP remain constant but you need shift up to increase the load on the cranks and restore the balance with the PM…maybe even reduce cadence to maintain the speed/VP reading?

I had to read that a few times… but I think yes!

Using today’s session as an example, rests between intervals were…

mins 0-10 221W 26.8kph
    mins 30-40 227W 28.3kph
    mins 65-75 225W 29.4kph

So same power more or less but the wheel speed increased by almost 2.6 kph. If I went by virtual power I’d either be going too hard at the start or too easy at the end.

DT78, can you set a scaling factor on the Stages? Could do that on a single sided Vector to address any imbalance. Mine isn’t that constant but it was a handy feature to bring it more in line.

Kryton57

Mine does the same after 5-7 mins, I put it down to the fluid in my fluid trainer warming up and changing viscosity.

Haze

Cheers, yeah it took me a few times to think it through!

I’m due a retest soon so sticking with VP until then.

Will be interesting to see how it all fares with the Stages, I can’t honestly say I’ve noticed a drift but I guess working off a PM will highlight it.

And maybe the shortfall will encourage me to work on any imbalance…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.