Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • trailside tools – Leatherman ?
  • iainc

Having just purchased one of these lovelies off the classifieds, for general use, I am wondering whether it's worth lugging around in my camelbak for bike duties. Can't really think of many times i have felt the need, and it's not the lightest of things. Thoughts ?

cheers

clubber
    Free Member

I don't have one and can't say I've ever had a situation on the trails where I'd have actually used one…

Jamie
    Free Member

Thoughts?

I am hungry.

….oh and don't bother lugging the leatherman about. You will never need it. Topeak Alien or something you will actually use.

alexpalacefan

Think back over the trail fixes you've had to do, or even seen done. Do any of them justify lugging that thing around?

I used to carry one, and the only thing that was ever useful was the pliers, I never used the fish scaler or wood saw! So, I got a tiny set of pliers, which I still carry, and the multi tool sits (un-used!) in the glove box.

APF

z1ppy

I lug mine around, along with the kitchen sink*, but it gets used 'very' infrequently. In the years I've had it, it been used maybe once a year, if that, BUT when I have needed it nothing else i carry would have done the same job…

*: I've been stranded once due to a lack of kit, I don't intend for it to happen again 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have a leatherman blast i got as a gift from my mates for my 18th

never leaves my camelback , pliers are handy – the saw is handy for those bits of wood that need a help out the way of the trail – low hanging branches …. takes a while but done correctly is kinder to the tree than snapping it ! the knife is handy for trail side food bought at the shop – of course you dont need these features at trail centres and i could survive without them but its handy.

my leatherman and my sks travel tool box both very handy – usually for fixing other peoples bikes 😀

snowpaul
    Free Member

ok,

I have had one for years – its mostly with me on big / multi day rides.. I agree that most of the stuff you will never need…

However in its defence it has been used to adjust gears / change gear cables whilst cycle touring in iceland – and also when we split a nice alloy easton tent pole = leatherman saw / file was used there to fix it…

Have used the pliers on trail rides to straighten chainrings and to help bend mech cages back…

Best bit is using the knife / pliers on the tyres to dig out / remove stubbon thorns / flint / glass which you cant get enough purchase on to use your fingers… or maybe i am just weak…!

Also used the file to smooth off burred chainrings… the best bit is prob the pliers…

I do like mine – the scissors / knife are handy when camping etc but less so ' on the bike '

paul

warpcow
    Free Member

What Z1ppy said. I never needed one until I did, and had to walk 15km home in the middle of winter because I didn't. I haven't needed it since, but always carry it just in case. If I didn't carry it I'd have some kind of knife anyway (something I do occasionally have use for), so the addition of pliers is fine for me.

MS
    Free Member

Dont have a leatehrman but have a cheap imitation. Used the pliers and knife of numerous occasion. Never leaves my pack

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not needed. its just an extra and heavy gizmo. You spend hundreds to lose a few grammes off the bike then carry loads of tools? A decent multitool is all you need

Once I used a pliers off a set – very unusual circumstances in that we had bent a chainring on the tandem – it could have been done with a rock to hammer it flat but pliars was easier. Never had the need otherwise

iainc

thanks all – pretty much confirming what I thought ! I carry a multi tool and chain tool and a wee penknife as standard, so think the Leatherman can be for car/camping duties 😆

clubber
    Free Member

It's a question of what's reasonable really – Years ago when I did my first Polaris, we massively overpacked on tools but half way through the first day when my chain jammed between the cassette and hub and no amount of pulling/swearing/kicking/etc would free it, I was really glad that I had my Pamir Hypercracker (remember those?!)

Of course, I'd never carry that now and I've never had a problem since but…

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I take a Gerber Suspension tool on most long rides and have to say I've used it loads of times. Pliers have come in handy on a number of occasions for dealing with cables, thorns / flints stuck in tyres, dodgy chain rings or for bendin stuff back that got twisted after a smash 😳 etc. Have also used the saw on a few occasions to do a bit of light trail maintenance. Knife has been used to prise off bearing caps etc, and for picnics of course!

Having said that I take only a very minimal multi tool (specialized EMT) and a separate chain tool, so all in all, the weight is probably no more than something like a Topeak Alien, which I personally find really difficult to use.

trail_rat
    Free Member

weight only matters in a race …..

convienance is paramount 😀

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I only really carry my Leatherman Supertool When touring/camping as it's a bit heavy and my topeak tool does the job.

I've had it for about 7 years. It cost me £25, £1 for every year of the guarantee. Sent it back once for a broken tool and they replaced the pliers and cleaned/sharpened all other tools.

Aidan
    Free Member

Since I got caught out with having hands too numb to pull my worn brake pads out of the caliper, I've always carried a Leatherman.

Since then, I've frequently used the pliers to do brake pads and remove thorns etc from tyres. I've used the scissors for cutting toothpaste tube for tyre boots and (on long trips) my nails. I've used the saw to cut grooves into makeshift poles for setting up a tarp. I've use the file to de-bur other peoples geared chainrings. I've opened a beer or two with it 🙂

It's pretty heavy, but I carry it any time I have my Camelbak or I'm going multi-day.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

weight only matters in a race

This is not true.

Carrying heavy stuff about and labouring harder on climbs and technical terrain means its less fun and will shorten the distance you can go. You'll also be less maneuverable and more sweaty. All these factors, IMO make MTbing a less enjoyable experience.

Yes you've got to carry kit to be safe and deal with any issues that may arrise, but kit choices like the leatherman have to be made on balance of probability surely? There are some interesting attitudes stated above, like 'I had this one thing happen once ages ago. For every ride since then I've carried this stuff around although I've not used it' The chances are that you won't again, or the need for it will be so rare that its worth accepting the consequence?

Is this just a kit thing?

I personally don't carry one, but then, I only carry a pump on day rides and a single CO2 cannister for 5 or less hour rides.

DezB
    Free Member

Pliers needed to remove stubborn UST valves, that's about it. I've got one that you can get allen key adapters to fit. HAven't got round to buying them yet though.
    Does annoy me when mags lump Leatherman tools in with multitools on a test, then give the Leatherman 10/10. It's not the same thing!

snowslave

like trailrat says. I really don't give a toss about the extra weight, it's a useful bit of kit.

I carry mine all the time, most people I ride with carry something similar. I've used the knife/scissors to bodge blue peter fixes involving inner tubes, duct tape and trim zip ties etc, including fixing a massive rip in someone's tyre in t'Alps. Pliers are obviously useful for loads of applications as stated above. I've had to cut a snapped spoke off when it was unbudgable. Last night my front brake locked on and refused to budge, used the leatherman to get the brake pads apart so I could at least pedal up the hill.

I've also stabbed attacking panthers with one.

endlessride
    Free Member

I always carry mine, for the pliers / wire cutter and the knife. I guess we need a lightweight set of pliers. Any ideas?

simon_g

Can't believe people quibble over weight (what, 200g tops?) in a pack that itself weighs 600g+ and filled with water and other essentials will be 4kg+.

I have a Skeletool CX which is 140g for a decent pair of pliers, a good knife and screwdrivers (that my regular bike multitool doesn't have). As said, you don't think you need it till you need it and it's come in handy a lot.

By the same token, I carry a space blanket with me – bought for an adventure race but it doesn't exactly weigh me down and if I (or someone I'm riding with) need it, they'll *really* need it. Again, as a proportion of total pack weight it's an utterly un-noticable amount.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i certainly find my bike hands loads differently when i stick my leatherman in my pack and my survival bag ……

there is so little other than food in my packs for my long rides that it really doesnt matter … dont even put water in – thats why bottles were invented – much easier to fill from streams

bike weighs under 22lbs and me 168lbs so maybe thats why i dont notice it

clareymorris

I carry mine all the time and it has been used many many times (Pliers, knives, file, tweezers, scissors), indepecndantly or in conjunction with a multi tool (allen keys only). I carry a seperate chain tool too. I like tools that actually work properly, not just because they are light!

AlasdairMc

I've got a Skeletool CX, and it gets carried whenever I'm riding beyond walking distance either from my house or my car.

I've used it and a multitool to strip down a seized hub, so I definitely consider it worthwhile.

Whitesnake
    Free Member

Never leave home with out mine.

null

Trail side wine sipping with Hors d'oeuvre never been more civilised! Plus a spreader for caviare! 😀

Pulling thorns from the tyres another good reason

stumpy01

I carry mine since converting to tubeless, as I tightened up the valve collar with them & no way it's coming off by hand.
    I have got some small pliers that would do the job (and are lighter), but they don't fold into a small rectangular block; instead they snag on stuff, invariably open out in my pack & are a niusance (although an elastic band around the nose of them would probably solve that).

I should really wear it on a belt instead of sticking it in my bag to make me feel more like McGuyver, but it would probably dig in a bit.

clareymorris

Mine is pink with my name engraved on it too…….(I lost my last one!!!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

simon_g – Member

Can't believe people quibble over weight (what, 200g tops?) in a pack that itself weighs 600g+ and filled with water and other essentials will be 4kg+.

Two points – how much money do folk spend to save 200 g off their bike?

I never carry all that stuff anyway. I carry a bottle ( two occasionally) a multitool. spare tube, pump, sram links. under a kilo the lot! all clipped on the bike

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Gerber Clutch here – pliers good for ust valves etc as above. At 59 grams – well worth it.

Is it better to strap tools etc to bike or carry in pack? I prefer any weight in pack on an MTB as I'd rather weight to help with weight transfer when I want to, rather than just adding to bikes weight and hindering its manoeverability (unless you have a bad back and can't carry a pack). Opposite on road bike as manoeverability not such an issue, better for me to keep pack off back to help keep cool/comfortable.

I'm surprised TJ above made such a schoolboy error.

rubberneck
    Free Member

SODS LAW……..

pinches
    Free Member

AlasdairMc – Member

I've got a Skeletool CX, and it gets carried whenever I'm riding beyond walking distance either from my house or my car.

I've used it and a multitool to strip down a seized hub, so I definitely consider it worthwhile.

I carry a skeletool as my only multi tool. You can get an allen key selection as an expansion to it. I think the majority of multitools are tat. I carry the skeletool and a chain breaker and thats it.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Used mine mumerous times, usually to extract blackthorns out of tyres, sort out a bent mech hanger and also to remove stuck pads. The knife also proves useful for cake divvying duties.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lesanita2 – Member

Gerber Clutch here – pliers good for ust valves etc as above. At 59 grams – well worth it.

Is it better to strap tools etc to bike or carry in pack? I prefer any weight in pack on an MTB as I'd rather weight to help with weight transfer when I want to, rather than just adding to bikes weight and hindering its manoeverability (unless you have a bad back and can't carry a pack). Opposite on road bike as manoeverability not such an issue, better for me to keep pack off back to help keep cool/comfortable.

I'm surprised TJ above made such a schoolboy error.

Better to have it on the bike for most things. More efficient ( you don't wsate energy moving the weight of the bag around), more comfortable, less total weight, lower COG.

Kahurangi

My leatherman is dead useful.

It has..

snipped zip ties
    removed stubborn thorns
    removed seized valve lock nuts
    filed away part of a broken rear mech that was damaging the spokes
    trail pruning
    removed brake pads and helped fit them

wouldn't go on a big ride without it.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘trailside tools – Leatherman ?’ is closed to new replies.