Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Trails round Pirbright/Deepcut….
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

…..I'm assuming the restricted areas round these parts are easily identifiable (red flags/fences etc) so it would be pretty hard/stupid to accidently end up in the 'danger area' being shot at 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, you'll be fine. There's a shedload up there too. Are you local?

http://www.tunnelhilltrolls.co.uk

(the area you're talking about is Frith and/or Porrigepot Hill. Tunnel Hill is the next one along!

Regualr evening/weekend rides and all sorts of other shennanigans

hilldodger
    Free Member

Thanks PP,
    Have just moved to GU21 and it looks about 4-5 miles from me along the canal, so it makes them my local trails I guess – will take a pootle over there sometime and when more settled in mebbe check out some group rides.
    😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. I see. There's a helluva lot of singletrack in that area, and there's other areas to ride to – Minley Manor, Ceasars Camp in Aldershot, Hawley Woods/Yately Heath, Ash Ranges….

I'm going to start doing Friday afternoon (5.30, on my way home) rides round TH/PP/FH soon if you're around at that time?

16stonepig
    Free Member

hilldodger, I work in Brookwood, and sometimes go off along the canal to Tunnel and Porridgepot after work.
    It's actually perfectly possible to do a big loop taking in some of Swinley Forest as well, staying mostly offroad.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Hmmm, just spent lunchtime GoogleEarthing and the possibilities are looking good 😀

Pete, I usually finish early Friday (4-ish) so I may be able to do Friday afternoons…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm in for Friday afternoons as well! Although probably not this Friday as i've the afternoon off so will be playing in Swinley.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There's an absolute shedload to ride round there. I'm leading a ride up there in a couple of months, and although I know all the trails, I'm usually following someone else so I need to get out and learn it for myself…. I'm going to start tomorrow.

I'll be coming up from the Ash direction. Whereabouts do you come in from?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

it's rubbish, don't bother 8)

theotherjonv

another GU2 rider here happy to show you round.

GU21 – you on Goldsworth Park?

unclejimmy
    Free Member

guys, if youre doing any rides round that way drop a thread on the forum before or soemthing if you'd be so kind!!

im a GU21 boy, i use the canal everyday for work, its be good to see whats hidden in them there trees!!

hilldodger
    Free Member

GU21 – you on Goldsworth Park?

😀 yup….

Ewan
    Free Member

I'll be riding at the weekend, based in GU22, so just up the canal from you. Give us a mail at ewan at ewanpanter dot co dot uk if you're bored.

rootes1

Thanks PP,
    Have just moved to GU21 and it looks about 4-5 miles from me along the canal, so it makes them my local trails I guess – will take a pootle over there sometime and when more settled in mebbe check out some group rides.

welcome to GU21! yer those woods are easy to get to via the canal… though watch for walkers worth getting a bell

though doubt i'll be out as i have tiling and a ceiling to finish!

theotherjonv

Canal's better for going back when you've knackered yourself out on TH / Frith / Porridgepot – it's flat and even the locks are with you.

I used to do a loop from GWP that took me up to Bisley, around the bottom end of Chobham ridges, into Lightwater / Qinetiq and up to the top corner by here.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=490681&y=160745&z=115&sv=490681,160745&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=766&ax=490681&ay=160745&lm=0

Then turn left for TH/FH/PP or right for Swinley.

ParkerMan
    Free Member

Tunnel Hills Trolls are the guys for this area, but tend to do most of their riding mid week, and at nights. Not too bad if you have the lights (you'll still need them to get home at the very least even with the lighter nights).

I live very close to Tunnel Hill, and reckon I've got this area cracked – certainly to make a 2 – 3 hr loop, depending on speed.

If anyone fancies it, let me know and I'd be happy to lead a ride.

pants
    Free Member

Get orff my land you lot!!!!! Army Only!! By kind permission only.

The Wardens and Police are starting to take names of MTBers with a view to prosecution as NOBODY is aloud off the main tracks etc.

This is mainly due to illegal Jump/Trail Building and Arsonists!!

Been Warned!!!!

shortcut

Not that good anyway.

theotherjonv

Cap'n Pants – you serious?

pants
    Free Member

I sure is, the MOD are looking at fencing all land off, like Sandhurst Ranges and Pirbright Ranges, access by booking and invitation only.

gee
    Free Member

Does this also affect the usual trails at Tunnel/Frith/Porridge? There aren't any signs about.

shortcut

Just been txting Pants. Seems serious.

pants
    Free Member

The signs are all over the place, take a look and have a read of the big white and yellow signs scattered all over the place and at the main entrance points on TH/PPH/FH

theotherjonv

so how recent is this? I didn't see anything at PPH last sunday?

pants
    Free Member

The signs have always been there, but no one bothers to read them! They are going to be enforcing it V shortly, a special team of Police on Quads/Mbikes have been training on the DERA test track and the MOD wardens have been on Cse's etc.

I know it sounds harsh but the MOD have had enough of the Land abuse which goes on and it seems to be on the increase.

ParkerMan
    Free Member

What do you mean land abuse ?

I've been going up TH for a while now, and I have't seen anything that I would call land abuse. I know there's been a fire up near Frith (?) today but surely this hasnt been put down to some tw#t playing with matches already ?

And what, if they are going to put a stop to MTBing would you be prosocuted for (I dont read the signs either – sorry) ?

allthepies
    Free Member

Hardly ever see wardens on Ash Ranges / Tunnel Hill and as for the police being interested – yeah right!

cinnamon_girl

Si – you mention Sandhurst, where exactly please? There are some bridleways over the RMA side plus the odd cheeky trail

Thank you so much … aaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

The signs are circa 1980s and require people to stick to the main tracks (probably due to risk of unexploded ordnance). In over 18 years of riding the area I've only once been "told" I shouldn't be there and that was some ex-army numpty walking his dogs.

cinnamon_girl

Are we talking MX'ers here?

pants
    Free Member

LAND ABUSE=: Riding your bike off main tracks. Starting Fires. Dogs off Leads. Digging and building jumps. Dropping Litter. Building trails. I could go on.allthepies you will see them one day!

Its been in the pipelines for some time,(fence) its all about Money, No Civvies on MOD Land means NO Court Cases and No payement for putting fires out etc..

allthepies
    Free Member

I wait to see said police bombing round on quads/MX's bollocking middle aged blokes riding around on mountain bikes 🙂

pants
    Free Member

Oh yes I forgot those people on M/bikes..Maybe you will get stopped by some numpty regulars and hopefully by myself LoL!!!!

Its all about Litigation and MONEY!!!!!!

rootes1

Some of the jumps and drops etc have been built by the army cycling club

allthepies
    Free Member

pants – so you're for chucking bikers off the army land ? 😯

pants
    Free Member

No Jumps and drops! Only Bridges etc and they are official

cinnamon_girl

So the Troll Bridge stays?

But dogs off leads? That's a bit OTT surely?

allthepies
    Free Member

If it's about litigation then someone could easily hurt themselves on the ACU bridges. OK for ACU to build, not OK for kids – Double standards ?

theotherjonv

I've always adopted the approach on MOD land that if a path exists, it's usable. To prevent people riding on 'heritage' trails would be very harsh imho. But equally I can see that further extension of the trail network can't be allowed to continue unchecked; nor can widespread building of jumps and shore.

Twice I've actually discovered fires and called the brigade out. One on the top of Ash Ranges nr the clay pigeon ranges. And one on Barossa. I reckon they should give me an official armband and I'll do fire patrols for them.

As for littering. majority seems to be flytippers, or tonnes of empty AB Biscuit wrappers (surely no-one eats those?)

If we get stopped can we mention we're all friends with pants??

pants
    Free Member

NO cos it keeps getting me in trouble!!!

CG. Dogs are supposed to be kept under control at all times!!!!

NO double standards at all, they are insured for Military use only!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Trails round Pirbright/Deepcut….’ is closed to new replies.