Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Trailraker 1.95 best mud tyre ever???
  • mud-monster
    Free Member

I Love them!!! SO Good! do you know of any better? ❓

njee20
    Free Member

They're nowt special IMO, Mud X thrashes it as an all round winter tyre, whilst the 1.5" Schwalbe Blark Shark is wildly superior in proper mud. TRs lack the side lugs to be any good in anything other than mud, but are too wide and prone to clagging.

Both also weigh less, and work better tubeless!

timber

Maxxis MOFO's?
    great on mud, liability cornering on wet tarmac

mud-monster
    Free Member

njee20 – will have to give a 1.5" Schwalbe Blark Shark go sometime, stick one on the back and a half worn trailracker on the front may be a good combo!?!

thefallguy
    Free Member

Tr's are ok, just seem a bit slow rolling compared to mud x's, they prob have more traction in really sloppy sections but I think on balance they are less accomplished overall

foureyes
    Free Member

off camber, a TR is astounding. i remember when i first got them i was blown away but i think the mud-x feels less sketchy on the wet stone. both are amazing really arent they

br
    Free Member

Trailraker last year, Mud X this – TR better for real mud, but Mud X better as a 'winter' tyre.

boblo
    Free Member

I like em for Peak mud and clag. The sidewalls are a bit fragile when it gets rocky but as a real winter tyre for real winter conditions, they are ace. I don't use em in trailcentres or rooty stuff though so they may be crap at that…

In what way are Mud X's better and in what conditions? Sorry that sounds a bit arguementative… just want to know why I should change when my TR sidewalls finally pop… 🙂

tommytowtruck

I found them brilliant in deep mud but a bit too squirmy on rocks and roots and haven't used them since last winter. Having a go with Kenda Nevegals which seem a decent all-rounder so far.

njee20
    Free Member

Mud Xs are much more rounded than TRs, so they work far better on rocks/roots etc where TRs just skip off.

They're also designed to run tubeless, I use mine at 20-25psi a lot of the time, gives tonnes of grip in most conditions.

As I said before though, if you're only going to encounter proper clag (think Mayhem or SiTS) the Black Shark is a better option.

Nick

I love my TR 1.95s

muddyfoxcourier
    Free Member

You are all wrong , of course .
    Conti cross country 1.5s .

nonk
    Free Member

conti edge are ok as a not totaly mud tyre.

psling
    Free Member

Biggest problem with naming the best mud tyre 'ever' is that they don't make mud the same all over the country 😕

mud-monster
    Free Member

Conti cross country 1.5s was thinking about them for the single speed. they ok on road?

igm

they don't make mud the same all over the country

Perhaps we need European standard mud? Quick someone ring Brussels…

boblo
    Free Member

what tyres for riding through brussels and other brassicas?

jimmy

trailrakers are awesome. winter trails can be ridden with summer confidence. mm-mmmmmmm.

Eldrik
    Free Member

The Maxxis Medusa in 1.8" eXCeption flavour is also better in really sticky mud a la Mayhem/SITS too, and weighs less than the 1.95" TrailRaker too, I think….

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Tootled around today for a few hours on these:
    Medusa 2.0 LUST up front
    Half worn trailraker 1.95 that I haven't got round to ghettoing on the back.
    The mud was mostly either frozen or drained though, but they've been happy in the rest of the winter slop. They roll pretty well too.
    I've used Mud-x's as well. They're fantastic as a winter trail centre tyre but only OK in deep loamy mud. Piss weak sidewalls though.

FuzzyWuzzy

Constant riding through gloopy mud then TR's are very good but for more typical winter riding (i.e. patches of mud, some rocks/roots, hard ground etc.) then Mud-X's are far better IME.

clubber
    Free Member

Exactly what FuzzyWuzzy said – I replaced my TRs with Mud-Xs a couple of years ago. I ride them through the year now – they even work well enough in the dry.

nickc

I use tr my regular riding mate uses bonty mud x we both seem to manage in the winter ok

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Another to echo Fuzzy wuzzy's comments here. Trail rakers are just a bit too mud specific, resulting in them being to osketchy on wet rock and roots for me.

The Mud-X is much better for all other winter conditions, except for thick, loamy mud, where it lacks the penetration of the taller tread that the trail raker has.

I mourn the loss of the mighty IRC Mud Mad TBH. That was better than either.

psling
    Free Member

I mourn the loss of the mighty IRC Mud Mad TBH

Curently got a pair [F & R specific] on one of my bikes; great here in the FoD in the wet, non-claggy mud we get. Bit hairy on wet grassy cambers though 😯

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Conti 1.5's or Black Shark muds (although sadly discontinued now) are awesome when its really sticky & roll pretty well too-just not comfortable.
    Maxxis Medusa 1.8's for me as a compromise

z1ppy

TR's ace through proper mud, but by god I wonder if there really worth it as their so draggy everywhere else!
    Couldn't imagine using one on the front though, mud-x up front here.

whyter

Prefer my TR 1.95s to my old Mud Mads. Much more consistent traction.

The Mud Mads were good for making ghetto ice tyres, though. Every knobble had a pre-drilled hole in the top 🙂 Must have been from the moulding or something.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I've been happy with 2.1 TRs on my H/T for most of the past 12 months, even on the rockier stuff ….BUT…. the sidewall gave up at the weekend on my back tyre "in big style" and I was faced with a walk back from the foot of Dubbs to Ambleside 😳
    TR sidewalls in std form certainly would not inspire me with sufficient confidence to go tubeless.

2 off MudX currently on order – will try these as ghetto.

STATO
    Free Member

Conti cross country 1.5s .

HA!

What you want is a 1.3" Hutchinson cross-comp…

benjag
    Free Member

I would say that 2.2 maxxis wetscreams have ultimate mud grip.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Once more you are all wrong……the best and ONLY mud tyre is one off these.
    (http://www.dirty-pages.net/images/nieuws/14_1247685183.jpg)
    dugasts are and tubs are the way forward..nothing compares 20 psi and jobs a good un.
    Bruce

GaryLake
    Free Member

Anyone want a pair of one ride old 2.1 folding Trailrakers? £35 the pair…

imp999
    Free Member

All you Mud-x lovers – What is the difference between these and ACX's I like running?
    When I looked I could barely tell them apart.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Spacings are a little wider, sipes are diffrent on the new ACX. On the older AC and ACX, the only difference was the spacing. Still got a set of half decent ACs in the garage actually – they're good too.

italspark
    Free Member

i like the 2.1 tubeless better as i can run them at low pressures with a larger footprint

Saccades
    Free Member

irc mudmad for the schloompy stuff as opposed to the clouty/claggy stuff.

Shame they don't make them anymore, or appear to have a direct replacement either.

muddyfoxcourier
    Free Member

Mudmonster , yea . The conti 1.5s will take a bit of pressure and roll ok . I've used em for a cycloX -ey race I did , ( HTN 1.5 ) , and they were ace.I was on a cannondale Rize BTW . Bonkers combination.
    Then ,I used em for a few months hoofing about up Rivi on my HT. Great .
    Only on really rocky drops were they a bit too skinny , I thought .

I run em with Latex tubes , which puncture less , apparently .

Oh , I have a nearly new set of IRC Mudmads , too . Bit heavy . DHs.

No

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Just gone from TRs to MudX and have to say that in thick, deep mud, the TR is better, but overall, the Mud X suits mixed conditions and general winter use.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Trailraker 1.95 best mud tyre ever???’ is closed to new replies.