Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Traildogs
  • jake.66
    Free Member

Can anybody suggest a good breed for a trail dog. I was thinking something like a collie or collie/lab cross?

glenp
    Free Member

You want something bred to run all day and be endlessly obedient. A collie would be ideal I'd have thought.

I'm just getting our Labrador/Standard Poodle cross to run with the bike. She's coming up to nine months now. Need to be careful about not running them into the ground though!

scruff
    Free Member

Dalamtion. Can run all day flat out but have a very strong will so ignore most attempts at obedience unless you use cheese as a bribe.

happysnapper
    Free Member

I'm looking at getting a collie for bike duties too. Also look at springer and other crosses. glen is right though, don't overdo the exercise in the first year while they're growing or they get hip and joint problems in later life.

ART

There was a massive long thread on this the other day – do a quick search. 🙂

Mog
    Free Member

Jake.66 – I have a collie/lab x who comes everywhere with me. She loves it. If I get out my road shoes, she's not interested but trainers or mtn bike shoes come out and she's at the door, ready to go. I didn't take her out much when she was a pup (now 5 yrs) so eased her into it but she was dead easy to train – in fact I never really trained her on the bike. Lots of training off it and she was used to following from running. Great with our new baby and old cat too! Just take it easy on them in the summer months.

jake.66
    Free Member

Great cheers guys. I reckon I might try and find the collie/lab (corridor. I used to have one and like Mog said she was great on the bike with no training. However I never really did any distance with her so didn't know if they had quite enough stamina. Although that said with two slipped discs at the moment a bloody chihuahua could outrun me 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is it fair to suggest you're only allowed a trail dog if it knows to keep to a predictable path on the trail and doesnt drop dog eggs?

Mog
    Free Member

Jake.66 – mine's good for around two and a half hours straight through. I think the longest we've been out for is about 4-ish hours (slightly lost in the Yorkshire Dales). Plenty of breaks and not going crazy and she was fine. We rescued her from Cardiff pound so quite lucky to find a collie/lab x there. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Coffeeking – as a dog owner and mtn biker I think you're spot on to suggest that. Badly controlled dogs and inconsiderate owners annoy me as much as the next man (probably more!).

Lucas
    Free Member

I'll repeat what Mog has said. We have a 1.5 year old Lab/Collie cross called Elmo. He's great when I'm on the bike runs just behind me. The futhest we have done is about 10 miles so far. He will even run next to on the lead too, I've not trained him to do it he just does. He's got hte best of both breads, intelligence of the Collie adn nature of a Lab. Really friendly and great with our 8 week old baby, submissive to all other dogs which means no fights.

My brother has his sister and she is just the same. They have both been for a 7.5km run with me tonight with no problems and still have the energy left to play with each other all night.

69er
    Free Member

I've got a lurcher , he's just a fantastic trail dog. He is very clever, pretty fast, obedient and can run for hours. I s/s everywhere (I don't think geared bikes are fair competition for dogs) and he's done up to 30 miles with me. He's great on the lead, really chilled around the house, and doesn't fret if you can't take him out first thing.

I would say choose your breed carefully, but the majority of a dogs behaviour is down to the treatment it gets from its owners. And if you get a pup consult your vet on the appropriate time to start extending his/her exercise time. Your rides should always include planned water stops and don't forget some treats for energy….

Good luck!

anagallis_arvensis

lurcher

pretty fast

mines bloody fast and is only 7 months!!

scruff
    Free Member

My dogs faster than your dog.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Traildogs’ is closed to new replies.