Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Trail Gator bike towbar
  • beamers

Anyone on here using one of these?

http://amzn.to/Jy8Gbr

Any good?

justridemtb
    Free Member

Excellent. I’ve used one off and on road. Even when fully loaded off road touring

Bregante

I’ve used one to tow both of my kids (separately) over the last 3 or 4 years the only issue is that its ruined the paint on tne head tube on both of their bikes.

beamers

Mmm, anyway of preventing the head tube paint damage?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Yep, used it a lot, even trips round a few trail centres. Just make sure you fit it correctly, seen loads of them fitted badly and the child’s bike leaning to one side.

heihei

Used one recently for the first time and thought worked pretty well. Not light mind, but does the job for a pretty low cost.

big_scot_nanny

johnikgriff – Member
    Yep, used it a lot, even trips round a few trail centres. Just make sure you fit it correctly, seen loads of them fitted badly and the child’s bike leaning to one side.

Wot he said, but again, we have also used for the last 4 years for kids 1 and 2, and will continue to do so for kid 3 in time. They are excellent, work well in execution. Only downside is finding the right “saddle tilt”, as when the wee one’s bike is hooked up it tilts the whole thing back alot.

Apart form that, magic!

Kev

antigee

allow plenty of time to set up – not to be done when trying to pack or set off

DezB
    Free Member

I once ejected my kid onto the road when the headtube fitting on his bike wasn’t done up tight enough. Luckily it wasn’t a busy road…

My Trailgator is going spare if you’re down south. Free to collector.

rugbydick

I binned mine, as I found no end of tightening the attachments would stop mini-me from eventually leaning to the side.
    For me it seemed more like a case of poor design than being badly set up.

I bought a Follow-Me tandem recently and that is outstanding for towing the little ‘un.
    Expensive at £200, but if I look after it, I expect to get get most of that money back when it’s no longer needed.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Yes, no leaning problems yet, old innertube to prevent damage. Little one loves it and I can feel when she’s pedalling. Got ours 2nd hand.

simonjf63
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether they can be used in conjunction with a child seat? I’ve got a Hamax, but with three children (4yrs downwards) and two adults we need to double up on one of the bikes. I’d like to give the 4yr old a bit of freedom to cycle as far as he can, with the option to hitch him up when he’s had enough, but also carry the 9 month old one in the Hamax at the same time

I_did_dab
    Free Member

It could work with a top tube mounted child seat but not a rear one as the trailgator clamps to the seatpost.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

It’s about 10 years since my youngest was on the back of one of these.
    It worked fine and gave the opportunity for the little one to ride unaided for as long as they wanted to, then to be hitched up and towed home when they ran out of steam.
    They WILL lean-over though, it’s not poor set-up, it’s as a result of the cumulative effect of the tolerances in all the joints and extensions. Off-putting but not a big problem.

beamers

Cheers all, most helpful.

Spud

Bit of a PSA, bought one before Easter for half price from Rutland Cycles. Not sure if they still have them for that price.

matt_outandabout

I found no end of tightening the attachments would stop mini-me from eventually leaning to the side.
    For me it seemed more like a case of poor design than being badly set up.

This. Proper tag along is much better, they work!

omatthews
    Free Member

@ecky-thump. Glad you said that because as far as I can tell mine is set up as well as it can be but there is definite lean on the kid’s bike. The attaching bracket seems to have a mm or so of give and that is enough to cause a lean. Mine has always done this. Maybe @johnikgriff has some words/tips about how he avoided that.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Impressed that there are people having good results with these, I’ve never seen one that looked even slightly reassuring. Although I’m assuming that the people I see towing bikes with stabilisers just haven’t read the instructions 😉

takisawa2

I’ve seen some right shoddy set ups. Get it all aligned right, do all the bolts up TIGHT, & they are excellent. Used ours for the daily commute for year or two. In fact I only took it off for the final time last night.

Bunnyhop

We used ours for a couple of years with our nephew, then sold it on. However hubby always took his allen keys on any trip just to tighten things up if needs be.

Yes it did have a bit of lean.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Trail Gator bike towbar’ is closed to new replies.