Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • trail dog training
  • dale
    Free Member

got a new to me 7 month old lurcher (greyhound/staffie/collie cross)We have been out for five rides (6-8 miles)in the last ten days.Toby (the dog) is doing fine, runs about 10 yards back, doesnt break sweat but I suspect paws are a bit tender.Riding Callderdale so lots of grit stone whats the best way to bring him on ? do you carry a first aid kit for the dog ? sling in case he brakes ? The vet who owns lurchers and rides mountain bikes said he would be capable of 30 miles plus any info would be great.

Trekster

getting a bit p`d orf with people and their trail dugs. Nearly ran over a couple yesterday. Noticed the runners are getting in on the act now. Not a fan given the pain and suffering re slashed paws that I have witnessed around here 🙄
    You also have to remember that farmers are entitled to shoot a dog that is not on a lead whilst in a field full of sheep or cattle 🙄

sambob
    Free Member

Cotswold in Betwys-Y-Coed had some dog shoes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sit.
    Stay.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ive got a 5 month old Siberian Husky hes awesome, i took him out a few times on the lead then off the lead and he dosent run away at all, so took him on the bike and tried that and he kept up with me, and now ive done it a few times hes used to it, see how he is with ur bike etc, make sure hes good off the lead or at least trained off the lead before u start riding with your dog 🙂 in my bag i take a bowl for his water and a few doggy cookies, that’s all ya need really, any more questions u can email me chris_mbuk@hotmail.com 🙂

Russell96

Don’t do it on a busy trail on the weekend, love animals and don’t mind riders out with their dogs, it’s amazing to see some of the speeds dogs can get up to, one rider out with their dog mid-week on a trail is going to be mostly safe/fun for everyone concerned. But as an example taking a big fat stupid black Lab out round Llandegla on a Saturday morning is going to cause carnage.

69er
    Free Member

And 7 months is young to be running the dog hard. Lurchers are sprinters not endurance dogs, so be wary of going too far. Keep an eye on his pads, take water and food.

He must respond immediately to your voice if you’re going anywhere near other riders, I’d build up very gently.

But most of all go easy on him physically, he’ll literally bury himself keeing up, you have to set the workrate and distance. My dogs prefer steady singlespeed pace 😉 .

andyl
    Free Member

Got to 7 months and immediately had alarm bells ringing.

Get some advice from someone with very good medical knowledge of dogs or preferably Lurcher specific before you do some permanent and crippling damage. The dog is still growing at 7 months.

As for training:

Build up gradually on the lead. Use two tied together so you can always shorten or lengthen it at required. Dog should be being walked on your left anyway so ride with it on your left. That way if you need to take your hand off the bars to control the dog you can still use your rear brake – being pulled while hitting the front brake will cause you to go over the front.

Get the dog used to running on the lead near the bike. It is the most important skill as you will need to ride with it on the lead in busy areas or on the road (preferably with the dog on the grass verge).

Also make sure it is fully controllable.

Then start riding with it off the lead when there is no one else around.

Take plenty of water and snacks for the dog or ride where there is cattle/sheep troughs.

Back on the lead around wildlife for obvious reasons.

Build up slowly when the dog is old enough. Be aware of the surface you are on. Watch the dog for signs of tiredness. Have a doggy injury plan just in case, humans get helicopters and land rovers, you need to get the dog home by yourself.

Enjoy your days out together.

Andy

agree 7 months is too young. Dog not developed yet.

Need to be able to control the dog off the bike first so lots of practice of Sit, Stay, Come & Heel. Dog needs to be on the money with these off the bike first – then easy to get the dog to heel on the bike. Mine normally drops right behind my back wheel when obeying heel. Also very satisfying seeing the re-assured reaction of other trail users when she sits straight away when asked. I also do practices to remind her every now and again. Poorly trained dog – no excuse.

Paws – lots of walks on concrete to toughen up

bwaarp
    Free Member

also for anyone else. Don’t do this with Springer Spaniels, the mental cases that they are.

Springer Spaniel – “What’s boss doing on this weird contraption….wait where’s he going….hang on let me catch up…..I’m gonna overtake the ****…thinking he can out run me…the bastard…..caught him…..oooooh loook a pheasant….ATTACK!!!….screech BANG!”

devs
    Free Member

I have a lurcher trail dog. He is awesome. Some points from the above. 6-8 miles with a 7 month old dog is criminal, you are running the risk of damaging him for life. 1-3 miles at the end of one of your rides please, just to get him used to running with the bike. Build up distance gradually after a year to 14 months. Take water if you know that there is nowhere to drink on the route. Stay away from food. Lurchers suffer from crease and it can be lethal. Do not feed before, during and for a while after exercise. Axl (my dog) is good for 20 miles which he does with ease but I’m reluctant to take him further. Voice control is essential as has been said, as for the haters, I feel sorry for you living where it’s become an issue. I take axl because he’s the only other trail user half the time!
    trekster you are in need of a hug or something.

sworks1
    Free Member

Dogs on busy mountain bike trails (like llandegla) is irresponsible. It’s dangerous for the dog, and other riders.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d love to go riding with my Springer, but there’s too much road to get to any trails, and there are also loads of sheep 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

Sambob: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0046SIIM4/ref=asc_df_B0046SIIM45970834?smid=A16QHM3PHKT0YO&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0046SIIM4

Trailer on roads, lock up somewhere secure at the trails and come back the same route. Can’t help with the sheep though but your springer ‘should’ be fine with them anyway.

Springers are fine but you need to pay attention and don’t stop.

I would like to try a pointer (english one). We nearly had a rescue one and I think I could train it to be better than the springer and could do more distance with it than the springer as it has longer legs and would be a bit less bonkers.

I have let Lottie do a bit too much once when out with friends on Black Down so had to put her across my shoulders can carry her for a bit. Bit of a rest and she was back on full speed again for a quick loop round Burrington Coombe.

Milkie
    Free Member

The vet who owns lurchers and rides mountain bikes said he would be capable of 30 miles plus any info would be great.

Change vets, if he didn’t tell you 7 months is too young.. He’s obviously thinking about the £ signs as your dog will be screwed when 6+ years old..

As for training, it is the same as you would train for your bronze/silver/gold citizenship awards.. You’ve done those haven’t you? No point in trying to ride/run before you can walk!

Andy-R

chris_mbuk – Member
    ive got a 5 month old Siberian Husky hes awesome, i took him out a few times on the lead then off the lead and he dosent run away at all.

Wait until he sees a few sheep – I’ve never known a Siberian that can resist them or, for that matter, be trusted off a lead.
    None of mine were ever (intentionally) loose but on the rare occasion that one was, sheep were irresistable – luckily no sheep were ever harmed but it was a near thing once or twice.
    Even out with a well trained team in front of a rig or sled I always had to keep my eyes peeled for possible “distractions” like sheep, rabbits or small poodles……..

Five months is young for him to be doing any serious mileage although I used to have mine pulling a tyre round at that age to get them used to some kind of load before actually putting them in a team.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yo andy, yeh there was one situation where he saw 2 sheep and legged it so i rode away so he knew he had to come back, if i walk away from what he sees when off the lead he comes back to me, but i know what ur saying, he can be good but when he sees other dogs he can tend to run off but if you keep going he eventually catches you up so tis not too much of a issue

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘trail dog training’ is closed to new replies.