Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • trail centres for kids?
  • ianv
    Free Member

Which centres might be suitable for younger rider?

Criteria is:
    good descents and singletrack if possible
    easy climbing
    play area
    cafe

Any scottish ones match the criteria? what about Keilder?

Thanks

auricgoldfinger

I would’ve thought Glentress would be your best bet.

ji
    Free Member

Not Scotland, but my kids (8 and 10) enjoy Sherwood. If you have older kids (over 12 I think) there is also a Go Ape there.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Mabie has a lot less climbs on its blue route than Glentress. I found the blue at glentress was practically the red route without spooky woods. Granted the descents at the end were great but i think you had to pay a little too much in the way of climbs to get there.

Mabie on the other hand has gradual gradients all the way which are easily doable. Not as exciting on the way back down.

All depends on how old your kids are. I am looking at it from my 6yr olds pov

ianv
    Free Member

He is 5 but is pretty handy. He managed the blue adventure route at sherwood and the green at Gisburn last weekend.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I would say my advice is correct then. Glentress blue would be a hard shift for a 5yr old to manage.

Or you could do what i did at glentress. I borrowed a tagalong and did the blue. A good workout for me and he enjoyed the thrill of riding the berms and drops at fast speed. Only had to bail on one main climb and could quite easily of managed the red.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Llandegla in North Wales is excellent and meets all that and more – but probably a bit far!

Gold
    Free Member

The green route at Ae is nice and easy, it follows the river so no big climbs. Not done the blue there so couldn’t comment on that one.

Keith.

2tyred

Second Ae – my 4yo loves it there. Very child-friendly.

I’ve been wondering which of the others might fit the bill, with the same criteria as you’ve set out. Kirroughtree has a great playpark and nice cafe, but I’m not sure how the riding is for wee people. Some of the blue descents at Glentress would appeal to my lad, but there’s too much climbing involved for him at the moment.

garnyam
    Free Member

Newcastleton red route is excellent for learning a kid to ride singletrack. Good cafe in the village also.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘trail centres for kids?’ is closed to new replies.