Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Trail Centres
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Not a troll or a rant more a question.
    My mate just posted a compilation video of several trail centres he’s been riding (I haven’t ridden them so can’t really comment apart from what I saw).
    The thing is they looked, well, errrrr dull. It was just featureless, smooth singletrack apart from inners which looked rocky and fun.
    What’s the appeal with them to “seasoned” mountain bikers?? Surely the rocks of the peaks etc are more of a challenge??
    As I say not trolling, just genuinely interested.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

You don’t need to think about riding them. Makes a days riding when you can’t be arsed…achievable.

anto164
    Free Member

Best thing about trailcentres, you can go there with mates, have a laugh and finish off with a hot coffee at the end of it with somewhere dry right in the carpark.

If you want to have a good ride, that’s more tech, then go to the trails that aren’t ‘trailcentres’.

Trailcentres also cater for all kinds of riders, other places with single trails aren’t so.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    montylikesbeer

It’s the same difference between real free climbing and indoor walls in my view. Trail centres have their place , but for Me I like open trails , each to their own though.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Well for one thing you can usually go as fast as you like without bumping into walkers/horses/dogs…..usually.

meehaja
    Free Member

yeah. trail centres are a bit motorway IMO, but, if you’re going to drive a long way, with a mixed ability group, it sucks when weather kills a ride, while trail centres are usually all weather, also no risk of getting lost, less risk of good downhills ruined by people coming up singletrack.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The warm smug glow that only comes from passing people on ‘big’ bikes on ss/cx/road/pennyfarthing/unicycle (delete as appropriate).

monkeychild
    Free Member

The warm smug glow that only comes from passing people on ‘big’ bikes on ss/cx/road/pennyfarthing/unicycle (delete as appropriate).

😆 Ah come on! No trolling!!!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

One thing you have missed – they are good FUN!

djglover
    Free Member

They have changed a lot, its all berms and tabletops, where as it used to be about Singletrack. This was OK when the likes of Mabie and AE were the only ones in the country, but now every centre seems to be going that way and its just dull. Also I am getting old and lost all my skills… 🙁

singlespeedstu

Ah come on! No trolling!!!

He’s not trolling. Just telling it like it is. 🙂

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I think trail centres have there place. As said, to go with a group of mates & have a nice ride then food & drinks.
    They’re prescribed fun, go here & have x amount of fun etc.
    They’re a bit like out of town shopping malls, not much soul but offer something for most people.
    I’ll do one every 2-3 months, much prefer natural stuff.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s no gates to constantly have to open and close, no requirement for map/compass/guidebook, good as a bad weather option. I can’t understand people who only ride trail centres tho.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I quite like a couple of camping trips a year to afan or cyb with “the lads”. Bike, beer and camp fires, what’s not to like. As said they have their place.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I do not troll 😕
    Actually I’ve ridden the same trail centre 5 days on the trot this week (no car)….admittedly the riding to and from there was the best bit and I did’nt actually ride much of the built trails in the order or direction they were intended but thats not the point.

loddrik
    Free Member

Trail centres are great, as is riding natural terrain, feel a little sorry for anyone who cannot appreciate them to the extent they avoid them.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

Rorschach – Member
    and I did’nt actually ride much of the built trails in the direction they were intended but thats not the point.

Ah…..I see

monkeychild
    Free Member

Trail centres are great, as is riding natural terrain, feel a little sorry for anyone who cannot appreciate them to the extent they avoid them.

I don’t avoid them completely, I am off to the monkey trail on Weds. But I don’t solely ride them I much prefer natural riding. I just don’t get riding trail centres all the time.

Suggsey
    Free Member

They have their place but can in my opinion be a bit monotonous. They are only boring if you make them boring-ride them as fast as you and your bike can and I am sure you would still get an adrenaline rush. pootle and there is no reward.
    For me I too would rather ride natural trails- preferably that I have not ridden before so you dont know whats coming. Having said that one of my favorite ‘trail centre’ rides is Llandegla’s best bits with The Masts Loop thrown in, ridden with mates and some back wheel buzzing.

Garry_Lager

They tend to be in good places to ride overall – in most cases they’ve grown out of spots that were popular for mountain biking going back years. So going there and just sticking to a red route or something wouldn’t be my cup of tea, but if you mix up a selection of trails, probably including stuff that’s not waymarked, you’re normally looking at a good ride. They’re also great if it’s lashing down with rain all day.

It’s not so much that they lack challenge – you can usually find that if you want to go looking for it off the marked trails a wee bit, it’s the feeling of wildness / remoteness you get out in the hills proper that you’ll never replicate at a centre. That’s just the way it is.

anto164
    Free Member

Best bits tbh, are the trail centres that you find extra additions that are natural that go outside of the trail centre.

Good example is the masts loop at llandegla, gives you a good mix of trail centre riding, and techy/more natural riding

emac65
    Free Member

Usually find people who are pretty cack at riding avoid them,ime anyway….

Oh & this post pops up about every 3-4 months or so & has done for the past 10 years that I know to……….

GlitterGary
    Free Member

emac65 +1.

They are what they are, great fun and if you have a few hours to spare, you are guaranteed a decent ride.

Nothing more, nothing less.

retro83
    Free Member

Most riding looks a bit shite on helmetcam

grum
    Free Member

The thing is they looked, well, errrrr dull. It was just featureless, smooth singletrack apart from inners which looked rocky and fun.
    What’s the appeal with them to “seasoned” mountain bikers?? Surely the rocks of the peaks etc are more of a challenge??

Here’s a crazy idea, why not try actually riding a few and decide for yourself? Videos tend to flatten/smooth stuff out – sometimes they are actually dull, but then so are bridleways.

As above – I generally go to them when I’m with a mixed ability group, sometimes people need to hire bikes, and it’s good for people to be able to hang around and get a coffee etc.

That said, I’d ride the last bit of the Climachx trail over most bridleways.

Rorschach
    Free Member

B.A Nana…..I see what you did there 😆
    Obviously those two statements should be taken in isolation 😳
    I do actually quite like hammering around ‘after hours’ knowing I’m the only one in the forest….being ‘naughty’.

anto164
    Free Member

Most riding looks a bit shite on helmetcam

So true..

For example, Fort William WC DH track which looks fairly tame in this vid..

Rode it last weekend and it takes some balls to ride some of those rock gardens. And also there are plenty of suprise 4/5ft drops to flat. Looks LOTS more calm and sedate on film than it does when you’re the rider.

kimbers

since kimbers jr came along ive realised how great trail centres are;
    my opportunities to ride are few and far between i need something i can ride whatever the weather, i know exactly how long itll take me
    and to liven them up just pedal faster
    i also like the fact that at places like landegla there is a freeride area a pump track as well as trails
    trail centres go through cycles after a surfacing they are bmx track bermtastic a few years and braking bumps and erosion make them more technical and demanding

singlespeedstu

Usually find people who are pretty cack at riding avoid them

I usualy find a lot of people who ride them are pretty cack at riding. 😉

nickegg
    Free Member

Some people are desperate to somehow ‘define’ the riding they do….others just ride what they like, when they like.

I find it hard to believe that the haters out there have finished a lap of a trail centre and don’t recall smiling or enjoying it once along the way!

grum
    Free Member

I usualy find a lot of people who ride them are pretty cack at riding.

I usually find people who like to brag on the internet about their superiority are pretty cack at riding.

singlespeedstu

I can’t see any bragging myself.

Just observations from a few people.

I usualy find people that don’t ride much are pretty cack at riding and lacking in humour though. 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

I usually find people who argue on the internet over semantics are pretty dull.
    sstu’s got a point tho.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“Just obserations.”

I find people who brag about riding on the Internet are pretty rubbish at writing.

😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tj’s gonna be along in a minute so make hay before he pwns the lot of us.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I like trail centres (well I’ve only ever done Cannock cus Sherwood doesn’t really count!), you get a few hours of riding, without faffing trying to find trails, and I’m not that good a rider, so I still find it a challenge to do all the “obstacles” especially at speed.

But each to their own.

singlespeedstu

I usualy find that people who don’t argue on the internet are pretty cack at pointless internet arguing. 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

Usually find people who are pretty cack at riding avoid them,ime anyway….

Really?? That’s an interesting point. How do you come to that conclusion??

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I really like Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie. There’s loads more rock and shit than on a lot of natural trails and even the likes of Glentress are great fun for the occasional spin.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’re thinking-empirical evidence+sound reasoning=logical conclusion…..FAIL.This is the interweb!!

There was’nt too much shit on the trails when I was there.Certainly not as much sheep poo as there usually is on my local trails.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Trail Centres’ is closed to new replies.