Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Trail Centre Trains?
  • tjr666
    Free Member

Ok so pretty new to the whole trail centre thing…closest I have come so far has been Delamere Forest. Was contemplating Lee Quarry, but can do that any day of the week…is there any others that I can get to easily on the train, I don't drive! Oh yeah I live in Glossop…

hp_source

Off the top of my head, betwys-y-coed has a train station and that's next to the Marin trail and about 4-5miles if that from Penmachno. I guess it's far from a direct route though.

Gisburn has a station too, although again I don't know how often/easy it would be.

:edit: just google mapped gisburn/the trail centre… it's a fair old ride away 😀

kimbers

its a bit of a problem with all trail centres if you ask me

i know they cant all be right next to kings cross but it would make sense to have train access to a biking centre

tjr666
    Free Member

Yeah this is my problem, don't get me wrong, theres nothing worng with a short ride to the place (I am going to Lee Quarry for the first time tomorrow and its an 8 mile ride from Todmorden) its nice to make a day of, but some of them are well remote for non-drivers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Machynlleth has a train station, and easy ride to the Climaxch and other trails. Not sure how regular the trains are, mind you!

uplink
    Free Member

There's a station at Cymer just about on the Afan trails
    thankfully it was converted to a pub some time ago 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

Barmouth is pretty handy for CyB. Hamsterley is OK from Darling, Durham or Northallerton. Laggan is close by the line, I forget exactly which station, there's one handier than Aviemore.

crazy-legs

The scenic beauty of Port Talbot station isn't far (about 8 miles) from the Afan trails.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

It's that pesky car culture that is getting in the way of humanity again. Part time riders, full time drivers…

Now clearly, trail centres need to be in areas with good riding ie. the middle of nowhere. But I would have thought that some provision for alternative transport at some point in the planning process of choosing areas to develop should have been discussed. Bus links, areas with good potential near towns, that sort of thing. As it is, you mostly need to drive. Ironic…

I don't know if you've heard of http://www.bikebus.net and I realise they are not close to you, but maybe there is a similar thing nearby?

uplink
    Free Member

As it is, you mostly need to drive. Ironic…

not sure it is – aren't most of the centres there to promote tourism rather than alternative transport?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Healthy outdoors activity riding the perfect alternative transport machine… Yep, I'd say it is ironic that people drive to do it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed they are. They are about riding bikes, not about saving the polar bears!

That said, there does seem to be a slight disjoint, as more people would be able to get there/benefit from the trails if they were easier to access by train. Maybe one idea would be the sort of bike-taxi-bus thing that I spotted in MBR the other day, operating up at the Stanes. I forget the name.

LoCo
    Free Member

Crosskeys station 5 mins from Cwmcarn

miketually
    Free Member

Hamsterley is OK from Darling(ton)

Yep – only 16-ish miles by the direct route or 22-or-so by the more pleasant route that I use.

uplink
    Free Member

Healthy outdoors activity riding the perfect alternative transport machine

I'd say that a modern trail bike is more like a piece of sporting equipment – it is to me anyway, I wouldn't dream of using it for transport per se

scruff
    Free Member

Cannock Chase is pretty near Rugeley and Hednesford train stations.

http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/directions.php

Trekster

Spoke to a chap last week who had travelled from Chester to Dumfries by train for £16.
    He then rode out to Mabie.
    You can also do the same to get to Ae.
    You could if like him you have a trailer cyle over to Dalbeattie and stay there for a night and bike back.
    If you were to stay in Dumfries you can then get the train up to Sanquhar, do Drumlanrigg and either get the train back or ride back over the hills.

Another "proper" option is to get the train to Sanquhar and ride back over the hills, 50+mls!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Trail Centre Trains?’ is closed to new replies.