Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Trail centre etiquette
  • zaskar
    Free Member

On a second lap I was knackered at Cwimm Carn and had loads of riders shout on your left so I slowed and kept ride (pedalling still) no probs.

I don't mind as I don't want to get in the way but I only move as I know I'm knackered and why should I ruin their lap after I've already sprinted past others on my first session?

I don't mind slower riders and overtake when there is room with a quick thanks. I don't expect them to stop unless they are holding 20 riders up.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

I think you'll find the usual rule is:
    the more body armor and the bigger the boingly bike the more you ride like a joey and try to bully families/slower riders out of the way on lesser graded routes and then loudly proclaim any riders that overtake you on climbs as jey xc race monkeys who can't cope with mans terrain like wot you do.

You'd go faster and hold less people up without that massive chip on your shoulder. You gay xc monkey.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also, why spoil someones fun going downhill when you're on a climb and could probably do with a short rest?

ARE YOU MAD! climbing is ace. If you're not trying to vomit a lung then you're not going hard enough. Jeez the youth of today just want instant gratification without earning it.

lol do you know how hard it is these days to get a good uplift organised on trail centres, FC lock the bloody gates (and I used to take the dog with me)

tazzymtb

"You'd go faster and hold less people up without that massive chip on your shoulder. You gay xc monkey. "

LMAO, fantastic response you lardy, armor wearing girlies blouse 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As an armour wearing lardy arse I'll give you a 10s headstart

tazzymtb

there is only one way to sort this:
    One xc monkey of dubious sexual orientation (apparently)
    One fat boy in armor with delusions of grandeur
    3…2…1….

in style of Harry Hill

FIIIIIGHT!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

name the hill!

andrewh
    Free Member

As a racer I'm pleased to say I've never been passed while trainig at a trailcentre. 😆 I don't think there was a huge queue behind me either, I know the sound of faster riders coming up well enough.
    Never really had any problems passing people either, most tend to move over pretty well straight away. Just relax if they don't, it's not a race, just drop back to give them a gap if it really is too narrow to pass so you can do the fun bits fast and then pass on the fireroads.

tazzymtb

hows about a 30 mile loop across the clwyds lots of ups and downs? I'll even bring on of my big bikes so I don't have a hill climb advantage 😉

tazzymtb

TBH honest trail centers are a great laugh. I've never understood the whole grrrrr thing that goes on with some riders. If you want to go really fast wait for a quiet day/time/ gap in the slower riders or even better put your money where your mouth is and compete, at least that way you know everyone is up for going as hard as possible.

If I want a fast ride I go out super early so as not to see/bump into many folks, that way I can meet up with mates later for a more chilled out ride after getting my "proper" ride in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tazzymtb

got the same principle really, it's my fault if I catch someone so my bad.

If you catch me uphill then if i'm still riding bide your time, as soon as I'm off go for it:)

I do put my money where my mouth is did a season of pearce races then after coming back from Oz did 3 DH's in the real mans hard tail cat. The beard helped despite Si Paton mocking its aero properties.

This year its the mega bring it on and for one day i'll run you all over!!

tazzymtb

mikewsmith- respect fella, my sphericals are not big enough to do the mega! Isn't it nice to know that regardless of the xc/downhill/freeride etc.. bollox that goes on it's all just really about twatting around on bikes 😀

Matt-P
    Free Member

Been out with my fiance and seen some real idiots, covered head to toe in armour, squeezing past on narrow bits of red routes and scaring her to death – if you're that hardcore go ride the black…
    I would say slower rider let the faster ones past at a safe point, faster riders make your presence known with a friendly call and then wait to come through – it's not a race.

james
    Free Member

"but thats not a right at all. The climber has the right of way"
    What?!
    This is all well and good as a 'discussion' on what would ideally happen, but in reality there are no rules?
    You (as a cyclist) should only give way to walkers (and horses?)(quite why that rule is there I don't know, its not like cars have to give way to walkers (regardless)? )

aP
    Free Member

Cyclists give way to walkers and horses on bridleways because it's written in the relatively recent law which created the right for cyclists to use bridleways.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Descending a Munro on the bike walkers/bikers always give way to the uphill..at trail centres you just have to go with the flow and accept that people of mixed abilities will be on the trail, plus at weekends they are going to be busier. I tend to ride DH more and I'm used to passing and being passed by riders…from my experience riders there is a much more positive attitude at the trail head and on the hill.

I to have noticed the agressive attitudes and bad manners of some riders at GT on the last few occasions when riding at the weekend. They are the minority but will spoil the experience for many! 🙁

robob
    Free Member

i tend to find barreling up to somebody as fast and as quitely as possible, then whacking the brakes on as late as possible and buzzing the back tyre whilst shouting "rider on the right" particularly effective. works best with particularly nervous or beginner riders.
    if you can manage to tut, and maybe a bit of a skid as you go past your status of "trail god" is assured.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My mantra is " if you can't be fast be wide"

Just cos you is all young and racy does not give you the right to pass me. Pah. I woz riding these trails when you were in nappies

Trekster

mikewsmith – Member
    if I catch someone on a section of trail I will slow or pass if I can safely, I try not to pressure people, If I set off to close behind and catch I generally stop and give a gap, have a word with myself for being stupid and setting off to fast.

What really gets me pi55ed off is when I try and leave a nice gap and someone cuts in front of me on a section, I will always explain but they are always too fast/busy/important to wait so I set off and explain to them how they are not fast and should have waited (trying to let the hub click as much as possible to show how little I am pedalling)

Ditto

These same "fast/busy/important" types also have the same attitude when the get to the centres bikeshop/cafe.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Trail centre etiquette’ is closed to new replies.