Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Trail centre etiquette
  • trout
    Free Member

Having just waded through the dogs thread it got me wondering about rider etiquette .

should the slower rider get out of the way or is it up to the faster rider to get past when he can safely

AndyP
    Free Member

the latter. It ain't a race.

Haze

6 of one, half a dozen of the other?

firestarter
    Free Member

i would have thought the faster rider slows til the slower one can safely move aside to let the faster one pass

thats what i always do when they catch me up 😉

billybob
    Free Member

depends on the rider in front.. if they are proper mincing then they should pull over – like on the road when there's a big queue of traffic behind a tractor…

project
    Free Member

The slower rider will one day be the faster rider.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I tend to get out of the way – If I can safely. Partly 'cos I hate someone following me, It make it a lot easier and safer to overtake if you co operate. Its the faster riders responsibility to pass safely when they can.

epicyclo

If he's faster he should be more skilful too, so passing shouldn't be a problem.

If he can't pass off the line, he's not really fast.

I had this demonstrated to me nicely at the SSWC when a group of us were passed by Kelli Emmet who wasn't even on the track but bounding from rock to rock completely offline.

(BTW I always move over if I hear a rider coming up behind)

tazzymtb

I think you'll find the usual rule is:
    the more body armor and the bigger the boingly bike the more you ride like a joey and try to bully families/slower riders out of the way on lesser graded routes and then loudly proclaim any riders that overtake you on climbs as jey xc race monkeys who can't cope with mans terrain like wot you do.

iggs
    Free Member

lol, if they're in my way I really appriciate it if they can allow enough room to let me past. I don't see the problem in that, I'd expect to do the same for someone faster than me.

firestarter
    Free Member

epicyclo i too did some moving at sswc 😉

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I usually let faster riders pass as soon as i can.

markfu
    Free Member

If i'm following a slower rider i'll politely ask/tell them that i'm coming past, if they don't like it i'll just hang back until they're off that particular section. If someone fast is coming up behind me i'll get out of the way, but if someone buzzes my back tyre, then they ain't getting past, it's rude. If you want to get by someone, tell them, quite simple really.

JRTG
    Free Member

yep if you are a proper mincer it's best to move over ASAP, however if you are medium-fast, find a safe place and keep and eye out whos on the trail.

If you see some fast guys, let them head off first and follow, may be able to use their lines and get quicker too.

The worst thing is when mincers insit on barging in front and never move with no place to overtake.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if I catch someone on a section of trail I will slow or pass if I can safely, I try not to pressure people, If I set off to close behind and catch I generally stop and give a gap, have a word with myself for being stupid and setting off to fast.

What really gets me pi55ed off is when I try and leave a nice gap and someone cuts in front of me on a section, I will always explain but they are always too fast/busy/important to wait so I set off and explain to them how they are not fast and should have waited (trying to let the hub click as much as possible to show how little I am pedalling)

singlespeedstu

The worst thing is when mincers insit on barging in front and never move with no place to overtake.

Not much of a rider if you can't even pass a mincer then. 😉

bowglie

I'll pull over & let faster riders past if i hear 'em, or if I'm closing up on a slower rider I'll hang back until there's a safe convenient place to pass. Can't stand these selfish w*****s who try and pressurise slower riders out of the way. If some f****r buzzes my back tyre his bike is gonna get shoved up his arse sideways!

househusband
    Free Member

…if she's got a nice lycra-clad bum I'm more than happy to just hang back and enjoy! 😉

JRTG
    Free Member

S-stu, I bought a ray gun, can blast anything out the way now…… 😆

on a side note, what do you think for giving way up or down a trail when you meet someone? I've always though give way to the decending rider as they have busted a gut to get to the top to ride down?

tazzymtb

can i just add on behalf of the gay forum users

"if he's got a nice lycra-clad bum I'm more than happy to just hang back and enjoy!"

singlespeedstu

JRTG – Member

S-stu, I bought a ray gun, can blast anything out the way now…..
    So you're trying to say you have a special gun that you only get out when there's mincers about. Does this "gun" have a purple end on it? 😯 😉

trout
    Free Member

Sound about right what about natural stuff and the rider who is struggling up the tech single track and the rider bombing down ?

JRTG
    Free Member

oooooh stu, you bought one too! they're great aren't they! unfortunaley mines only a small one.

singlespeedstu

unfortunaley mines only a small one.

Does it not get bigger when you rub it…

james
    Free Member

""on the road when there's a big queue of traffic behind a tractor… "
    They removed that rule (3 cars qualifying as a queue) a few years ago"

"what do you think for giving way up or down a trail when you meet someone?"
    As much as possible I think both riders should try to get out of each others way, people who climb with their head down wandering from one side of a trail to the other is a pain (as are walkers who do the same)

"rider who is struggling up the tech single track and the rider bombing down"
    If its climbable it can't be very difficult in descent to stop/start (or descend it)
    Though its usually as much a pain to break up the flow of a descent as not being able to clean a climb. If the person descending is clearly out of control then the climber might want to get out of the way for their own safety

JRTG
    Free Member

yes it does have that feature, and a safty sleeve for the end.. very cool

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sound about right what about natural stuff and the rider who is struggling up the tech single track and the rider bombing down ?

You should give way to the uphill rider in my view. If you're lucky enough they might stop to let you hammer past, but it's easier to stop and restart going down than going up.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…people who climb with their head down wandering from one side of a trail to the other…

… desperately trying to clean that climb they've always struggled to do, only to be bullied off the trail by a loon hairing down towards them with gravity on their side

househusband
    Free Member

Where's Glupton's 'dust' when you want it..?!

djglover
    Free Member

Having ridden Afan once on a mid-summer weekend I vowed never to again, it was a traffic jam of novices. Coed y brenin never seemed as bad, but it's more remote. Have only ever ridden Cwmcarn and Afan on an evening since.

I hasten to add that when I caught them up I stopped and waited for a gap and didnt overtake, but it didn't half take the fun out of it!

james
    Free Member

"desperately trying to clean that climb they've always struggled to do, only to be bullied off the trail by a loon hairing down towards them with gravity on their side"
    I was trying to refer to non-b@stard climbs, though didn't really say so
    If it was bad enough to need to wander across the whole width of a trail rideably wide enough for both to pass if both keep to one side then perhaps (I'm sure there'll be instances where this doesn't happen) the descender may be happy enough to watch the climber attempt it (eg steep section near top of Jacobs ladder)

backhander
    Free Member

Slower rider should get out of the way WHEN ITS SAFE but it's up to the quicker rider to make the slower one aware that he's there (in a polite way obviously).

t-p26
    Free Member

Go midweek when its quieter!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

JRTG – Member

on a side note, what do you think for giving way up or down a trail when you meet someone? I've always though give way to the decending rider as they have busted a gut to get to the top to ride down?
    OMG – this one degenerated in a right row last time.

downhill gives way to up. You can restart downhill so much easier than you an uphill. Balk someone climbing and they might never get a restart.

A polite climber will move over to let teh dowbhiller past – but thats not a right at all. The climber has the right of way.

JRTG
    Free Member

if it's been done look away! last thing we need is a riot :oops:. we should love each other and be courtious where ever posible, but what do you all think is the best trail centre grips? surely that can't be controversial and much less boring than what tyre? 😯

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I always let a faster rider pass at the earliest opportunity and expect others to do the same for me if I catch them up.

I can't keep riding knowing I'm holding someone up. Its wrong.

Also, why spoil someones fun going downhill when you're on a climb and could probably do with a short rest?

General rule I follow and hope others do too, always give way to the faster bike, up or down.

tazzymtb

Also, why spoil someones fun going downhill when you're on a climb and could probably do with a short rest?

ARE YOU MAD! climbing is ace. If you're not trying to vomit a lung then you're not going hard enough. Jeez the youth of today just want instant gratification without earning it.

JRTG
    Free Member

everybody love everybody!

tazzymtb

everybody love everybody!

STW daisychain? surely that's wrong on many levels!

bassspine
    Free Member

TJ +1

downhill gives way to up. You can restart downhill so much easier than you an uphill. Balk someone climbing and they might never get a restart.

A polite climber will move over to let teh dowbhiller past – but thats not a right at all. The climber has the right of way.

Also: be excellent to each other.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Trail centre etiquette’ is closed to new replies.