Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Trail Bike with Single Ring
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Thought I would try and hammer this out again. I have a ransom with triple ring set up, I use the granny and the middle ring but harldy use the outer ring. I think it is 22/32/44.

Would I really miss the extra gears if I went single and put a 36 on? just like the idea of getting rid of 2 rings, a mech and a shifter and put something like an LG1 on… (I used to run single on a demo 8 and other DH bikes but never on a trail bike)

Would the chainline be ok in top and bottom gear?

Any thoughts or opinions?

akira

Chainline fine but it doesn limit you a bit on big gears, you need a wide ratio rear sprocket and if you use the granny ring a lot maybe consider a 34t.
    It is good but I do find myself pushing rather than pushing myself.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ran my commuter as a 1×9 – no problems with getting all nine gears – for offroad you will need some sort of chain device for sure.

will a 36 ring give you a low enough gear for climbing? It wouldn't for me but big hills and old and unfit = granny gears a must

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

im old and have a nackered body so yes I need the granny's

I will check my rear cassette later and post the spec… its just an idea at the moment to save weight and reduce bar clutter.

Clubber – I know I would get on with a 2×9 in theory but that defeats the object for me just loosing 1 chainring

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Hijak

Crash did you check that race face cup??

cheers

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I run a 1×9 on my Prince Albert. I use it regularly on Surrey Hills and have done Scottish and Welsh trail centres as well as Snowdon on it with no problems.

I have the cable and front mech so if I was ever to go to the peaks or something I'd put that back on.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If you only use the 22 and 32 replacing them with a 36 seems like an odd choice, why not just keep the 32, strip everything apart from the front mech, use it as a chain device with limit screws, and see if you like it for a couple of rides?
    No expense, easily reversed but still de-cluttering the bars and losing weight of granny and big ring.
    Assuming you can remove big ring without fussing with washers or shorter chainring bolts and stuff.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

rudi sorry I will tonight 🙂

I may try a ride and leave it in the middle ring and see how it goes if all is well i will strip the lot off and replace with a chain device!

freeridenick
    Free Member

I run a PA 9 speed as well, with a home made inner plate to keep the chain on.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I use a blackspire blackguard and stinger with a bashguard.

Oh, 32 ring as well. The gear ratio's been fine on steep fast descents – I've used it ona few DH courses with absolutely no problems (part from lack of rider skill obviously).

gee
    Free Member

It's the latest trend for XC racing…

Single 38t ring and a 12-34 cassette. For when there are no steep ups/downs, but there are still ups/downs, if that makes sense. Surrey Hills would be a good example.

GB

rootes1

i run a 1×9 on my 29er

33t on the front, plus 11-34 on the rear

use fsa bash ring on the outside and an ngear jump stop to keep the chain from coming off – 33t is also a single speed ring with longer teeth also helps to keep chain on (Surly one)

also moved the bottom bracket acorss a little to bring the middle ring towards the bb shell a bit to improve chainline when in big sprockets

if lived in a hilly area would go 2×9 say 29-40 on the front and 11-34 on the rear

daim

My mate runs a single 34T on the front of his Reign and an 11-34T on the back. He says he never misses the granny but sometimes ponders sticking a 36T up front for more speed downhill.

I run 22-32T on the front of my Reign. I <3 my granny ring 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

36T up the front with a Gamut chain device. Light, pretty and it works.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I run a 30T up front on my 29er with 11-32 out back

No chain drop devise, just good chainline, short rear cage & chian as short as poss

rootes1

<<No chain drop devise, just good chainline, short rear cage & chian as short as poss>>

I found in really rough stuff the chain sometimes came off – only a few times, but spoilt a few runs, I als0 have a good chainline, short rear mech and short chain – might be as i run rigid forks?

househusband

I've got a similar setup to rootes1, above; bashring with an N-Gear Jump Stop. Works pretty well, but want to try an one of the new 1.x guides but CRC keep running out of stock of them in black!

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I run a 1×9 set up on both my bikes:

my XC RACE bike has a 37x(11-32) using an E.13 single ring, a MRP 1.x chain guide and a x.9 short cage mech. I also have a 34 and 36 tooth ring which I will put on if the course is really steep.

my TRAIL bike has a 36x(11-34) using an E.13 single ring and an E.13 LG1 + chainguide and a x.9 short cage mech.

both work great; reduced weight, more mud clearance, less chain bounce and a lot quieter are just some of the good things about it

shimano are rumoured to have a 12-36 cassette out next year, which will increase the range of gears even more, making a 38t ring feasable for normal riding.

rs
    Free Member

I run a 32 up front and only on steep climbs do I wish for a granny ring (or hammerschmidt thingy), never felt a need for more going down, thats what gravity is for.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Blackspire blackguard with bashring (non ramped chainring as well):

I added a stinger after riding at Aston Hill, when the chain was slightly slipping on the really rough rooty sections.

With stinger:

Its actually a really good system – never jumps or skips and is also pretty quiet. My mate has a gamut which is a lot noisier than this.

Having said that though, I didn't get an LG1 because of the price. With the bash, guard, chainring and stinger it all added up to about the same in the end.

bonesetter
    Free Member

First bike I had the 1×9 set-up on the chain never dropped once in two years. This had a 63mm BB shell, and a more in line chain

Latest bike has a 73. I have a Phil BB which allows for sideaways movement so can get the chainring close to the BB, keeping the chain line good. This has stopped the chain dropping – so far

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Trail Bike with Single Ring’ is closed to new replies.