Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Traffic light induction loops that don't detect bikes – ride through red?
  • miketually
    Free Member

I’m sure that cyclists can go through red traffic lights if the sensor isn’t detecting them, as the lights are effectively broken. Anyone back this up?

(With proper sources, please – an internet argument is at stake.)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My understanding is you cannot – a red light is a red light and you must not pass – even if its broken.

However:-

The traffic lights had malfunctioned, I waited on red for at least 5 minutes before I decided to move off. Immediately, I was stopped by a Police Officer who accused me of failing to comply with a traffic signal. Will I win my case?

If the lights are not working properly, then a potential defence is that they do not comply with the appropriate regulations and thus, you should not be prosecuted. However, it would be for the Defendant to establish that “to proceed with caution” was a reasonable action and that it was apparent that the lights were not working properly.

http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/traffic_lights.htm

donsimon
    Free Member

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! And muy you burn in hell for suggesting jumping a red!!! 👿
    Source: Fat bloke down the pub said so!

rewski
    Free Member

The sensor should pick up a cyclist, they pick up motorbikes.

miketually
    Free Member

Highway Code says (my emphasis):

You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is showing. Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right. If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care.
    (Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If you do jump the red, just make sure you’re on a bike with gears, not a 32:16t singlespeed, and that there isn’t a jobsworthy Babylonian biker lurking behind a bus…

soobalias
    Free Member

if you position the bike properly even the least sensitive ones pick you up, some are lined straight with the road, some run at forty five degrees, you can usually see the tar lines

but a complaint to the council will have them investigate to check its working as it should

Northwind

rewski – Member

The sensor should pick up a cyclist, they pick up motorbikes.

Not reliably. At least, the ones round here don’t.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I know a set near me that don’t even pick up motorcycles reliably – and never pick up an alloy bicycle no mater what you do

miketually
    Free Member

Some round here on a recommended bike route had to have special sensors fitted to pick up bikes.

rewski
    Free Member

Not reliably. At least, the ones round here don’t.

Really? The ones around here are mega sensitive.

Stoner
    Free Member

the curse of the carbon framed commuter

allthepies
    Free Member

The lights will cycle (no pun) through all the junctions they control over time, even those which are “empty”. You just have to wait longer 🙂

antigee

one near me never picks up bikes, it is a difficult ethical dilemma

I rationalise my evil, downright dangerous, pedestrian massacring toddle across the empty junction because i know with all my heart that the car I would otherwise have to sit and wait for to arrive to trigger the lights will have been speeding

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Allthepies – not the junction I am thinking of. its a large junction with 3 main roads and two small side roads. One of the side roads is controlled by sensors. I sat at it for 4 full cycles of the lights once.

stumpyjon

I know of two sets near me that don’t pick up bikes, especially not carbon framed road bikes. As for aligning the bike with the sensor, that sounds safe as some muppet comes down the hill behind you.

An alternate take on this is one of the sets of lights (which don’t detect me) are on an uphill section of road and it’s quite a big junction and the sequence delay os quite short. Depending on the number of pies I’ve stuffed down at lunch I can’t always get across before they’ve changed, even if ‘m off the line when they go to green, does this make me an RLJer?

pdw
    Free Member

Most can be triggered if you put the bike in the right place, which is not necessarily where you’d expect. Don’t go for the middle of the sensor, but instead line up your bike along one edge. Aluminium wheels are actually pretty good for triggering the sensors.

More info here: http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/detection.htm

Alternatively, report it:

http://www.fixmystreet.com/

I reported one near me that was insufficiently sensitive and it was sorted within a week.

miketually
    Free Member

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/9037309.Twenty_s_plenty_/

Anyone want to join in with wind up the numpty?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Traffic light induction loops that don't detect bikes – ride through red?’ is closed to new replies.