Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Traders on disguise
  • thatsmyyeti
    Free Member

Seller beware when flogging your bikes on internet forums that the hard luck story you are bring fed about just dropping the price a couple of hundred pounds isn't just some trader who as soon as he gets your bike strips it down and immediately sells for a fat profit in a different site.
    It isn't illegal just dishonest and not nice
    Be careful out there

tails
    Free Member

It isn't illegal just dishonest and not nice

I kind of agree but if you were happy with the money you were offered then thats okay, after all you could have stripped it down yourself and made more money.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Don't you understand capitalism?

tracknicko
    Free Member

ha ha ha. you SOLD IT. ITS GONE!

once its gone buddy its gone, you accepted your price and they took it. they are within their rights to crush it for fun or throw it in a lake!

if you think they are making money on it, put the effort in, split it yourself and reap the rewards!

wwaswas

if they've lied with the hard luck story then it might be considered fraud.

if they've just haggled hard and then made the effort to split then that's just the way things are.

Junkyard
    Free Member

why the cyncism to the OP
    I agree that if someone intends to split that is fair enough and if you agree the price again fair enough if they lie to get the price that is dishonesty. Especially if you think you are helping out a fellow MTBer as well – isn't trading against the rules?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yes, if someone's telling fibs to drive the price down then that's pretty unattractive. There's almost nothing you can do about it though.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Ahh, it's good to see this place is turning into ebay then. 😐

Those of you that think it's ok shouldn't be using the classifieds imo.

tracknicko
    Free Member

seems im out voted.

kimbers

if hes asking you to drop the price so he can use the bike to 'visit his dying gran in hospital' then yeah hes a twunt

chakaping
    Free Member

Give us the full story mate.

Names and full pack drill. I'll get the pitchforks ready.

uplink
    Free Member

If someone has spun you a sob story & then taken advantage of your good nature to secure a lower price – I hope it comes back at them in spades

It really is a slimy, under-hand thing to do
    Sometimes I think there's a sub-species of humans

sc-xc

Give us the full story mate.

It all started when he sold his bike to John Terry…

crispybacon
    Free Member

thatsmyyeti is Wayne Bridge & I claim my £5 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

I don't understand. The OP has only been registered on STW for 20 hours and this is his only post. Bizarre.

MrNutt
    Free Member

throw them in a lake!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

What Uplink said, but also what tails said.

GEDA
    Free Member

What is the point of just moaning? Looks like thatmyyeti just set up their account so they could moan but not actually see what the sale was and who did the deed. Either they don't have a water tight case or have not got what it takes to start a proper fight.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

do you complain everytime you go into a shop? book a holiday, go to a garage? they all buy low and sell high, its called profit and thats how any business works. Yes its wrong if they say they dont have enough cash because the dog just died (to getthe price down) but otherwise its fair game, you sell at a price your happy with, the shop then markts it up and sells it on.. thats life

tracknicko
    Free Member

or maybe im not out voted!

to be fair i'd missed the bit in the OP about haggling him down on the grounds of whatever…

but i dont think i'd ever personally do that. sorry to be harsh but if someone cant afford something, they shouldnt buy it. i wont drop prices for sob stories!

whytetrash

Yeah name & shame…we can all give him a sob story when we buy the bits…he could lose out big style 😉 agree it's a crap thing to do and is against the spirit of this place!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

so in a nut shell this is obv a STW regular who thinks someone has brought his bike and stripped it down and made a profit.. so who sold a yeti recently?

davidrussell
    Free Member

you are, of course, under no obligation to sell anything to anyone if the price doesn't suit you…

BigDummy
    Free Member

That is of course correct david, but in practice most people on here are basically decent and will forego some cash that they don't particularly need to hep someone who claims to be having a rough time. When that rough time is a fabrication that's an abuse of someone's generosity, which is shabby.

z1ppy

this 'type' of thread, moaning about traders generally (rather then traders spinning a sob storys) comes up a lot, Admin simply say if you believe some-one is trading report them to the Admins.. they'll take a look and ban em if they feel it is appropiate.

Report it! or bugger all gets done about it.

davidrussell
    Free Member

I do agree with the sentiment BD – STW does have a lot of philanthropic spirit and its a shame if some people are abusing that. It is up to the seller to judge this i guess…

We really need more details before the kangaroo court can sit formally, who will be representing the defendant? 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with buying and splitting IMO (particularly if, say, you're buying a complete bike for the frame only) but not if you get the price dropped through a sob story, etc.

cookeaa

I can feel very little sympathy for the OP (certainly without them giving more details as to why I should), harsh as it may sound.
    If you know the value of something, then why sell it for less?
    If you don’t know the value of what you’re selling try doing a little research before someone more savvy haggles you out of some money….

If genuine miss-representation has taken place and you thought you were being “Philanthropic” but were actually being mugged then tell the STW Admin…
    You may or may not get sympathy from the STW membership, but you will see no action from them…

If it’s simply a case of Kids flipping on parts/bikes via ebay/SDH/Bike radar where prices are normally over-inflated; then it has always happened, and always will, they’re smarter than you, get over it…

uplink
    Free Member

If nothing else at least these type of threads give me an idea of who I will & wont deal with in future 🙂

ken_shields
    Free Member

I'm all for helping folk out and I've given stuff away on here to folks I think are straight but some just come across as taking the p!ss.

I work hard to earn the money to pay for my shiny bike stuff so why would I sell it to someone cheaply just because they're having a hard time financillyt the moment. If you can't afford to pay the sellers asking price then don't buy it. You're just gonna have to ride your bike with LX stuff instead of XT.

I'm going to try the "I'm skint" line next time I'm in Tesco's to get some cash off my weekly shop.

woffle
    Free Member

cookeaa

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve benefited from good 2nd hand deals before (not on STW though) and I’ve sold things on for less than they were perhaps worth, even given some stuff away in the past, if I got diddled, well that’s my fault and I can live with it…

Whining like a sissy solves nothing; if you could afford to let an item go for less than you wanted, then you’ve not really lost much have you?
    And if you couldn’t actually afford the deal that you’ve gone and done, then what the hell is the matter with you?

Dylan08
    Free Member

Sold a DJ bike to a chap from a bike shop in Darlington (recenly in a newspaper story…think he got raided) – less than 24 hours after he bought the bike from me it was in bits on his ebay shop for 4 times what he had paid me! – thus is life good on him.

Some peops buy a bike for a few parts or just the frame etc – also some folks buy bike and change their mind etc – its all good fun as long as noone loses an eye!

🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

i`m with uplink 😕

ampthill

The ’spirit’ of our forum is one where users can turn their old, surplus or unwanted kit into extra cash to enable them to buy new bits to help them get out and continue riding. The Classified Forum is not a place where users can trade parts bought elsewhere and then sold at a profit. If we suspect that a user is exploiting our forum to earn additional income or solely for the purposes of making a profit then we are very likely to consider that as ‘Trade’ activity and we’ll ask you to stop. We will look at each instance reported to us or spotted by us on a case by case basis and then we will act at our discretion.

That said we do allow certain types of Trade Ads where we feel they will be of benefit to our users. Trade ads are allowed but only after following some very strict guidelines and rules. If you are in the bike industry and would like to know how you can use the classified forum to clear slow moving and old stock then get in touch with mark@singletrackworld.com.

I'd be interested to know if the site are happy tha traders are buying here. Its hard to legidslate for who can buy….

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Traders on disguise’ is closed to new replies.