Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • towing a small trailer
  • SaxonRider

What’s it like?

I used to have a fairly large tent-trailer and I hated it. I always felt like it would lift the back end of my car (a Volvo 740 estate) off the road, and constantly worried about simple manoeuvres like pulling in to a petrol station. (I probably should have got lessons from someone experienced.)

In any case, I now have a VW Caravelle T4, and think that a small trailer like this one could be perfect for hauling my camping gear on a long trip.

Any thoughts? Is a small trailer like this easier than a substantially bigger one?

franksinatra

I’ve always found when reversing, the bigger the trailer the better. Always helps to be able to see it

donsimon
    Free Member

Reversing with a small trailer is much harder than with a bigger (twin axle) trailer. Otherwise just remember it’s there, you’ll need to pull out and extra foot or so, so the trailer doesn’t cut the corners. There shouldn’t be a huge amount of weight so snaking shouldn’t be a problem and you won’t be going so fast that bouncing will be a problem, or will you?

SaxonRider

I promise I shall keep my speed at the limit or less.

donsimon
    Free Member

Pah! Just learn to take your foot off the accelerator, then floor it if the trailer does start snaking. 😉

scaredypants

I have a little trailer that I can’t see at all out of the back window

It’s fine in normal driving but you look a right tit undoing it rather than reversing with it (suppose I could learn to do it through wing mirors but it’s narrow too and only becomes visible at about 45 degrees)

SaxonRider

So, if I undo the thing to reverse, is it otherwise easy to drive with?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

They do bounce about a bit if unloaded or have a very light load on rough roads (see Sheffield).
    Found that sticking a small flag on an old tent pole helps me when reversing as I can’t see mine behind the ScoobyVelle. It also helps reduce your paranoia that it has parted company some miles back if you can see the flag waving to you.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

If you previous trailer felt like it was going to lift a Volvo estate off the ground you must have had it badly loaded. Slight bias towards the front, probably 50kg – 75kg max over your hitch would be about right.
    As far as the small ones are concerned, they are a bit of a pain, especially when you can’t see them in your mirrors. They are also much easier to jacknife the shorter the distance between the trailer wheels and the hitch.
    Fiamma / Thule roof box?

Muke
    Free Member

It will be too small, its simply trailer law, you always need one bigger than the one you bought 😕 Bigger trailers tow better as well.

Lots of towing/trailer advice on http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

Candodavid
    Free Member

Bought a 5×3 trailer off the bay for £100. Wouldn’t pay that kind of amount from halfrauds, just look a bit flimsy to me

stavromuller
    Free Member

Always had trouble reversing my small trailer until I put a small flag on an old fibreglass ariel on it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘towing a small trailer’ is closed to new replies.