Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Tow bars – HOW MUCH??
  • munkster
    Free Member

Anyone know a good reliable and hopefully reasonably priced place for having a tow bar fitted to an 03 Octavia hatch in the midlands, pref nearish Derby?

People seem to asking well over £200 for a single electrics tow bar. Pretty sure I paid under £150 for my last one.

Or is that just the going rate? If fitting one myself involves drilling the car then please don’t recommend I do that! I would be just tooooo worried about messing it up if so…

TIA, as always.

ziggy
    Free Member

Sounds reasonable to me, I got quoted £600 to have one on my Honda.

Begrudingly took it in to be fitted only to be called later to say that I couldn’t even fit a tow bar to my car as it would invalidate my warranty!

munkster
    Free Member

£600!!

Crikey, guess I’d better crack the credit card out then!

frogger
    Free Member

Get a Witter tow bar from eBay. They even have mobile fitters that come to your house to put it on for you. Job done.

morgs
    Free Member

+1 for ebay and a mobile guy.
    I’m about an hour away from you, but RPH Services in Nantwich are top notch. When i used to work in the cra game, i used him before my own workshop

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Mercedes once quoted me £500 for an A Class and Ford for my Focus quoted £250 and then gave me the number of the bloke they used who charged me £150 and came out to fit it.

totalshell

i think the octavia ( mines an estate and defo has) has a removable piece under the bumper that the tow bar mounts in its place only the electrics to do then bars on ebay for 80 quid plus postage .. should cost no more tha 170 fitted ready to go or diy will cost circa 120 asuming you can do the leccy work yourself.

munkster
    Free Member

Cheers for all this guys, will cogitate on these details.

parkesie
    Free Member

Not hugely difficult to fit yourself if you good with a set of spanners.
    I picked up a 2nd hand one for my honda for £30 an hour with the rear bumper off and ive got a towbar.

Spud

I’ve just used Tow Bars Nottingham for my E Class cost 585 all in at home. Great job. The kicker is Merc want just under that to update the fan! Don’t ask.

trickydisco
    Free Member

+1 for witter tow bar off ebay. Got mobile guy to fit it for me

Think it was £110 off ebay and £40 to fit it

nbt

Started to reply earlier but my interweb connection went down. Cost me 240 for a towbar with twin electrics last year. For an octavia, you need to remove the bumper, remove a big metal bar, replace it with the towbar then refit the bumper, cutting a notch for the towbar. I think single electrics would have been around 170. Can’t find it now but I did find a website that gave pretty accurate prices for the fitting of various towbars based on your specifics. Google will come up trumps.

supertramp
    Free Member

Ebay and fit it yourself, it’s generaly an easy enough job 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Fit it yourself. Just remember you need to get a type approved one for a car that age, if you want to be fully legal.

thegman67

Just had one fitted to my 53 plate Primera £220 all in with single electrics

molgrips
    Free Member

Remember that some of the high figures include a box of electronics to link the trailer in with the car’s stability program.

It’s not made clear when you talk to people IME.

supertramp
    Free Member

It’s the towbar that needs type approval, not your DIY fiting, the bar will come with a ‘certificate’ try this seller (as a strarting point I have ordered a few from them and had no problems:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Towbar-Towball-Boot-Cover-Red-Rear-Reflector-/380347881065?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item588e801669

Though bear in mind, this seller has nothing to do with me, I am not endorsing them, and there are other sellers out there who are probably just as good!

sparkerfix

Anker Towbars near Tamworth are reasonable no frills bars

bellerophon
    Free Member

Hmm, glad I saw this thread… I was quoted £450 for a tow bar with dual electrics, which funnily enough I didn’t think too bad, but looking at what other people are spending I best shop around.

qwerty
    Free Member

i’m afraid all your quotes are in the lightweight league, Audi Tetbury quoted me £1400.00 to supply and fit a bar to an A4 Avant, apparently the wanna strip out the interior and rerun the wiring!!!!!!!!!!!

quoted £310 to supply and fit a detachable Westafilia off the www

snakebite
    Free Member

The icehouse, Fenton Stoke on Trent, £160 for a Witter and single electrics…

munkster
    Free Member

The icehouse, Fenton Stoke on Trent, £160 for a Witter and single electrics…

If that’s correct then I think we have a WINNER!!!

😉

Do you work there or something?

restless
    Free Member

i had a tow bar with single electrics fitted for just under £200 last year. the mobile guy came from ‘Just Tow’ . i’m in Notts so they probably cover Derbys too.

redthunder
    Free Member

300 quid

ebygomm
    Free Member

apparently the wanna strip out the interior and rerun the wiring!!!!!!!!!!!

It took the best part of the day for them to fit my towbar, including numerous phone calls asking if I was sure my car wasn’t the Sport version. When I first went to pick it up pretty much all of the cars interior was outside 🙂 Didn’t cost anywhere near 1400 quid though, was around 185 but most of the other quotes I got were over 200.

snakebite
    Free Member

No, just used them for my last two cars and a couple of mates-couldn’t fault the service or price after shopping around a bit

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Tow bars – HOW MUCH??’ is closed to new replies.