Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Toughest cable outers?
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

I’ve got some very nice looking Jagwire cables on one of my bikes, but after cleaning the bike yesterday, I noticed that the outers are already wearing through where they rub against each other – the cables only have about five shortish (2 to 4 hour) rides on ’em! (two rides were wet/dirty tho).

The options to re-route the cables are pretty limited, so when they’re completely shot, I think the best option is gonna be to replace with toughest cables I can find.

Based on experience, can anyone suggest any cables with tough outer covers?

p.s. Tried an offcut of Gore sealed outers, but they’re to fat to go through cable guides.

wwaswas

just wrap a bit of helicopter tape aroudn them where they touch or maybe a bit of heatshrink plastic tubing they use on electrical connections.

binners

Gore Ride Ons. Best cables out there by a country mile! Not cheap but all the benefits of full lengths without needing to start drilling frames

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I juust use the XTR stuff, bought byt he meter from CRC it’s pretty cheep and just re-use the ends off the last cbales.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

ta for the suggestions – hmm…a combination of XTR and heatshrink on the vulnerable sections sounds worth a go.

Gore Ride Ons. Best cables out there by a country mile! Not cheap but all the benefits of full lengths without needing to start drilling frames

Yes, my default would normally be Gore, but it’s a carbon frame and I don’t want any potential warranty issues by forcing the larger diameter outers into the dedicated cable guides/holes etc.

Nobby
    fattatlasses
    Free Member

Just got back up off the floor after seeing the prices for the above – Gore stuff looks positively cheap in comparison.

Also formed a mental picture of the stuff abrading through the frame to leave a hollowed out skeleton of components and cables lying on the ground (cue sound of cawing crows in the background)

leggyblonde
    Free Member

get some BMX linear cable.

ads678

I got these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22234 they seem pretty bombproof to me.

andrewh
    Free Member

Alligator mini I-link.
    Tough as anything andI’ve never had to service/clean mine. Pretty much the lightest available too. Running full-lengthfront and rear though so a bit pricey (about £80 per bike).
    Unfortunately too narrow to use a Powerchordz inner.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Toughest cable outers?’ is closed to new replies.