Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Torridon
  • Kbrembo
    Free Member

Decided to give Fionnaraich & Lair loop that is in Kenny Wilsons Book a spin…..great Day!
    Started at Achnashellach and I was met with a very hefty headwind along the road…not fun!
    Turning up Coulags into Coire F the mountains gave me shelter and the going was nice with a bit of on off work until the top of the Climb
    Apologies for people-less pictures but i did this solo.

Met by stunning views of Liathach, Bienn Eighe and Glen Torridon with a huge run of awesome singletrack with hardpack path and natural rock slabs all the way down to Annat.

Liathach is a stunning mountain!

Right Turn at Annat i was again met with a strong wind but this time it blew me the 5 miles up glen Torridon!

Nice Gentle ride through Coulin Estate and start of long but not too steep climb to Coire Lair, some great scenery takes the mind of the climb.

Nearing Coire Lair the heavens opened so I took refuge in the Bothy Easan Dorcha before the final push.

OMG What amazing singletrack…no pictures could do it justice!

Once clear of the mountain it's a gentle roll back to the car just as the heavens open again!

Superb day and took me just over 5 hours.

grumm
    Free Member

Pics not working for me.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

That's strange…work for me…

Anyone else?

geoffj

no pics here 🙁

ton

pic deffo not working

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Ok here is a link….

Torridon Pictures

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

No pics here, but did that loop couple of months back on an amazing day and what a cracker…fantastic scenery and if you're lucky you'll see the white tailed eagles up at the Coulin estate. Unfortunately mrs EMC had problems over the thousands of drainage ditches up there and took a right strop at the summit of the Coulags climb. It's incredible how that descent back into Torridon can cheer someone up though 😀

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Nice. Looks great. I'm hoping to ride up there early September. Kenny Wilsons book arrived yesterday so I'll have a flick through this weekend.

mtbrDot
    Free Member

is this an ad for golden bike parts?

heihei

Nice – thinking about taking my motolite up there in october.

glynP
    Free Member

We went up last month and did two good loops that were in MBR a few months ago, probably the best days riding I've ever had. The weather was great and although there was a total of 6000 feet of climbing we were treated to two 6.5km descents. We were out for 10 hours, it was just incredible, we started from the youth hostle at Torridon itself. Whats the name of this book from Kenny Wilson and where do I get it?

Mike-E

pimpin' bars

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

glynP – where did you find the routes that MBR did as they are not in the mag that contains the article? Would be interested at looking at these.

I posted a request up on here last week about Torridon and andy@innerhaven who led the MBR trip offered to help with route advice (although I thought I'd flick through the book and buy an OS Map before contacting him).

The book btw, is like rockin' horse poo. The only place I found a copy was here:

http://www.ernest-press.co.uk/mtb_scot_highlands.html

StirlingCrispin

A thread was on here recently about getting copies of Kenny's book.
    There were a fair few available second hand.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/

jimmy

looks awesome. i've even ordered that book.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Gold parts make my bike look trashy and less pinchable
    😆

Next time I do this route I am going to take a right at Bealach na Lice and descend full force of Coire Lair…..

I got my book in Tiso Inverness

jojoA1
    Free Member

That's an excellent ride. Did it a couple of years ago and would love to do it again.

However it's not for nothing that the author of that book is known in this household as Kenny f**c*ing Wilson. He's not afraid of a bit of hike-a-bike 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

RE the Kenny Wilson book, I tried ordering from abe books and never got my copy, or even any response to several emails.

Got one direct from https://www.ernest-press.co.uk/ with no problems though.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I ordered a book from abebooks last year and never got it, had to contact the credit card company to get my money back. Great route tho'. If you can't get Kenny Wilsons book Phil McKane's book shares a lot of the routes.

grumm
    Free Member

Pics look amazing btw – It's now on my must-do list.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

jojoA1

"However it's not for nothing that the author of that book is known in this household as Kenny f**c*ing Wilson. He's not afraid of a bit of hike-a-bike "

Very true… also be prepared for some pushing and also be prepared for the terrain with Map, Compass and correct clothing!

I did Ben Alder a couple of days ago…that was a real uphill hike-a-bike !

clareymorris

WOW fab photos………..still planning on getting up there in september if any of the STW'ers are up for it> Jojo I know you said you were keen. I will start a new thread and guage interest (we are going anyway!!)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Clarey,

there was just such a thread a few weeks back:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-scotland-ride-follow-ou-to-stuartie-c-cairngorm-thread

Seems to be quite a few interested – maybe you could bump it and get things moving along again.

😀

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It's a great route – fantastic scenery and trails. I never thought I minded hike a bike much until we did 2 and a half hours of it a fortnight ago in the Lakes! The descent was brilliant but…..2 and a half hours was a bit too much…..lol

martinxyz
    Free Member

Hi Kbrem, martin that sold you the brakes here!

instead of dropping down to the road that leads into Torridon, what you want to do after the hike from the first bothy you passed is to continue up past the bothy,past the loch,hike/ride up and over the highest point,traverse around the mountain until you can see the top of the coire thats next to the one you just rode up.so instead of descending right down towards the ling hut you want to keep a real beady eye out to the right for a gap in the mountain.look closely and you will see a track creeping up towards it. its a bike on the shoulder job and then you are heading back down towards achnashellach.dont go all the way down to the road though, hang a left and descend DOWN the trail to the coulin pass that you rode up! Theres a fork in the track you cant miss just before it all goes steeper before dropping down into achnashellach.

..then hang a right back to achnashellach on the coulin pass once you pass the bothy.you managed the nice section back to achnashellach though, its amazing once it gets steeper over all the worn down rocks but i like the descent down to the bothy better.lots of options.

Was there the other night on the motorbike. that road towards coulags is nuts.its like a giant racetrack littered with deer.:O)

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Hey Martin…… noticed that trail at the top of Bealach na Lice and thats my plan for next time!

clowner
    Free Member

Anyone know if this is off one of Kennys routes in the area?

http://www.vholdr.com/video/torridon-descent-singletrack-heaven

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Looks like it is possibly part of the descent of Corrie Lair but also being ridden painfully slow…..

I think the picture below looks like part of the video at around 35secs….

It gets steeper and more technical after the video ends.

This looks like it..

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Torridon’ is closed to new replies.