Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • TOR – The Onion Router – quick question
  • Mintyjim

Hi,
    Will using TOR at work to surf the net mean that the Bof’s in the Bofcave can’t monitor what I’m looking at? For instance BBC website or STW?
    Cheers

alfabus
    Free Member

bofh ?

jam-bo

i would imagine if browsing sites like that breaches your T&C’s, then trying to cover it up does by another factor…

Mintyjim

Boffins.

It’s not a question of T&C’s, I just tend to leave both on permanently which has no impact on my productivity both it could be seen as a distraction.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yes you can use it to bypass most company firewalls (assuming they allow HTTP outbound from stuff other than the company proxy server), some firewalls have blacklists of known TOR routers they’ll block as destination as well. It also needs a client so could be detectable via a desktop scan if your company does that. Using it would likely be a disciplinary offence if you were caught.

TOR might be overkill for your needs anyway, you can just use a standard open proxy or install a remote control client on your home PC and connect to that remotely (via the web) and browse from your home PC.

z1ppy

”Official archive of Bar-steward* Operator from Hell episodes from 2000 onwards”

Your Friendly IT guy…

* or a very similar sounding alternative…

alfabus
    Free Member

(i wasn’t asking what it was… i was correcting the spelling 🙂 )

jfletch
    Free Member

Surely if you are just leaving a page open in the background (from a site that you are allowed to visit) then a scan of web traffic wouldn’t show it. You will still only load the page once even if it sits there un-looked at for a day.

What you need to worry about is a desktop scan and no amount of proxy servers will hide that.

Even if looking at the BBC and STW isn’t against your T&Cs I’d bet evading the company’s IT policy using a proxy server is. And since they can’t see what you are looking at they would assume the worst and fire your ass.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘TOR – The Onion Router – quick question’ is closed to new replies.