Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Top Tool Tips Please
  • barn
    Free Member

Hello,
    I need to change/replace headsets on a few bikes and want to do them with minimal faff!?
    Quite prepared to buy some tools, but Park stuff for all this lot is a bit scary.

1) Crown Race Removal / Setting – hammer and patience, or are there a good / cheap tools for these jobs?
    2) Head Cup Removal – ditto above?
    3) Headset Press – have seen ‘ghetto DIY jobbies which look good, do these work or do you have other suggestions?

Also, what cable cutters (ones that actually work)?

Thank you all.

Sven

1) Screwdriver for removal, and using the mounted new headset for ‘hammering’ it down.
    2) Best is an old steerer tube that you partly cut lengthwise a bit (3 or 4 cuts), bend it apart slightly and then insert into the headtube.
    3) DIY jobbies work okay but a mallet does the job, too.

Also, what cable cutters (ones that actually work)?

The best ones you can afford from a DIY store work fine and should still be cheaper than Park Tool ones (which work great as well, of course)

All in my opinion, of course.
    Sven

CraigW
    Free Member

The Cyclus headset press is good. About £30.

Milkie
    Free Member

IceToolz Crown Race Remover
    IceToolz Headset Cup Remover
    Park Tools Cable Cutters
    Cyclus Headset Press

Thats what I use, as above use the new or old headset for seating the crow race.

Garry_Lager

Crown race is easily and reliably dealt with ghetto style as noted – I use a plastic pipe to set them. Cups can be easily removed with a variety of improvisations, but the correct tool is cheap (a tenner?) and won’t damage the cups. Saying that I’ve not got round to getting one yet.

I’ve never enjoyed the hammer and 2×4 solution to headset installation, or homemade presses, and always get the shop to do it if the frame’s worth anything. If the cyclus press is as good as people say then it sounds like a great investment.

jamiep
    Free Member

cutters = cheapest ones from screwfix are fine

barn
    Free Member

Crikey you lot are good!
    I’ve just ordered what I need and saved a lot of cash and hassle.
    Brilliant – again.

Thanks all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Top Tool Tips Please’ is closed to new replies.