• This topic has 95 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Top Gear – Senna
  • grahamt1980

Ok maybe top gear is childish at some points but the bit on senna was awesome

Hadge
    Free Member

Brilliant show tonight

Houns

One of the best ever episodes

ianpinder
    Free Member

1200bhp manual gearbox no downforce driving one handed around monaco, brilliant driver, not seen lewis speachless before either

the veyron was awesome too.

the-muffin-man

Ok maybe top gear is childish at some points but the bit on senna was awesome

+1

It would be nice to see Top Gear do more of this.

richcc
    Free Member

Agreed, great episode. Toureg and Veyron were awesome. Cruise and Diaz were great – can only assume they're fans? Senna piece was fabulous too and underlines that something has gone wrong with current state of F1

ianpinder
    Free Member

rich dare i say it, but the need to improve safety, and an ultimate persuit for the fastest car.

Houns

A fair few people on here knock Clarkson but he does some excellent documentaries

scotia
    Free Member

anyone know when its repeated? i cant watch it on iplayer as im not in the uk…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Great TV.

hora
    Free Member

First part was the same wobbly however the last section on F1/Hamilton was vintage Top Gear. I actually checked the channel thinking I'd hit on a sideshow for JC.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

excellent tonight, i'm a massive Top Gear fan but even i've tired of some of the challenge episodes…….tonight was a proper petrolheads show

pedalhead
    Free Member

Yeah that was a superb piece on Senna. It was ace to see a world champion F1 driver (Hamilton) so humble & excited at the chance to drive Senna's classic car.

kilo

Scotia, it's repeated tomorrow night on BBC2 at 19.00.

orena45

Amazing piece, really looking forward to seeing this film on his life later in the year

Conor
    Free Member

Agreed. The Senna bit should have been it's own 1 hour long show. It was funny to see Lewis laughing like a child and being speechless!!

And I really like the Cruise/Diaz bit. I normally flip over when the guests are on as they are dull as dish water but once Clarkson did the corporation plug the movie thing they were really funny and entertaining (mostly Cameron Diz though!). The look on Tom Cruise's face as Cameran set the fastest time was priceless!! It was a kinda "oh yeah, well done… damn you bitch I'd better beat you!!"

richcc
    Free Member

Ian. Understand the point about fastest car and safety – I suppose something would need to happen in the rules to introduce some overtaking – restrict aerodynamics in some way?

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Best. Episode. Ever. As stated wish the Senna part was the full hour. Never tire of watching the great man.

dawson

i agree – top show tonight – the bit about Senna made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

I could be being cynical, but major A-list celeb happens to go fastest???
    I know they do a number of laps, but in the lap he got 5th instead of 3rd a couple of times…

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Definitely one of the best episodes aired tonight. Veyron article was also great, really well produced too

gordimhor

A much better piece of tv tonight and the no bombshell end was a nice touch

highclimber
    Free Member

Very good episode. definately should have had more on senna. he was A true genius and is sadly missed.

rOcKeTdOg

i loved the bit when Hammy was giggling whilst drving senna's maclaren

RustySpanner

Watched the Senna section – was amazingly good for TG, non patronising and heartfelt.

Program on BBC2 now about the 1955 Le Mans race (and crash) is superb too.

Bez

"The Senna bit should have been it's own 1 hour long show"

If you've not seen it, here's the (nearly) hour-long documentary the Beeb made in 1995.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8027912.stm

The thought of being given the keys to his MP4/4 is quite something.

mboy
    Free Member

All I can say is…

"I WAS THERE" (Donnington 1993 that is)… For possibly his greatest ever showpiece!

Greatest talent ever to step in a car… Got a few pics of various McLarens (and a couple of Lotuses) of his at Goodwood the other weekend, including the all conquering MP4/4… What a machine, and what a driver! To see Lewis Hamilton totally awe inspired was remarkable, but all I can say is that we were witnessing a man sitting in his childhood idol's seat, driving his car!

druidh
    Free Member

Senna was undoubtedly gifted but why is that if you are German and intentionaly crash into your opponent you are a cheat, but if you are Brazilian you are commited and passionate?

richcc
    Free Member

Druid – obvious really – the Germans bombed our chip shop but everyone loves a Brazilian!

Drac

Cracking show and great piece, Clarkson really can do nice non geeky informative entertainment when ge wants. Rememer senna's driving was outstanding, his crash though was one of the reasons for the increased safety measures.

nickc

Arton Senna; almost as successful a driver as Alain Prost…. 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Had to be the best bit of TG in a long time. The only thing I thought they could have gone in to more detail on was Hamiltons comments on the difference in cars, it would have been good to have had more explanation.

And didn't the cars look so much better back then. You can see a lot of the mclarens from that era at the donnington motor museum.

I say make it more dangerous again. Stirring moss recently said modern go is dull and too safe etc and it was kind of hinted at last night.

RustySpanner

Senna was undoubtedly gifted but why is that if you are German and intentionaly crash into your opponent you are a cheat, but if you are Brazilian you are commited and passionate?

Must admit I found that bit slightly questionable myself, but then people tend to make many allowances for the dead – seem to remember he got quite a bit of stick for his driving ethics whilst alive.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

seem to remember he got quite a bit of stick for his driving ethics whilst alive.

He did yes, and rightly so. But still a superb driver, no question about that. And it was a very good episode of TG too, agreed. 🙂

richmars

This must be a Mclaren store of old F1 cars:

Drac

Sweet Richmars it's lke an Aladdin's cave.

ski
    Free Member

Any info on the Film about Senna JC hinted about at the end of the show?

1200bhp manual gearbox no downforce driving one handed around monaco, brilliant driver, not seen lewis speachless before either

Would have loved to see an cocpit view of Lewis doing Alap, he was like a school kid with the keys to THE candy shop 😉

richmars

There's a bit more about Hamilton's drive in this month Top Gear mag.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Very good episode.

Amazing how much clout TG now has – top Hollywood stars, they get first dibs on a £1.5m car and got Lewis H in a fundamentally lethal car that must be pretty much priceless. Think of the insurance costs!!!

Everywhen
    Free Member

Last episode of TG was little more than adverts for Cruise/Diaz latest film and the forthcoming Senna documentary.
    I find "Star in a…." the most boring bit of TG, it's biggest attraction being an opportunity to put the kettle on.
    There is enough fawining over celebrities on TV as it is.
    As Homer once said " Celebrities, is there nothing they can't do…."

Touareg piece was dull too. Devoid of the usual TG humour and quite obviously more contrived than ever.

Veyron bit was interesting, I was impressed at how stable the car was at 200+mph. Mind you it should be at £1.6million.

fbk
    Free Member

Agree with everything said here (apart from Everywhen).

TG at it's best. Touareg piece, whilst as staged as ever, had some great camera work in it, Senna documentary was inspiring and even the Cruise/Diaz section was entertaining after my initial serious doubts.

Great stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear – Senna’ is closed to new replies.