Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Too heavy for Crests?
  • letmetalktomark

I’m 86kg unladen.

So maybe 90kg on the bike, but still slimming down.

Looking at the Crest in 29″ guise maybe in a Hope Hoops package.

Will it end in tears?

tony24
    Free Member

You weigh the same as me I’ve ridden crests in Wales etc and I ride pretty quick and don’t always stay on the floor… But in 29er you might find they twist when you lean them over.

Garry_Lager

A svelte 86 on a 29er? No need to worry about crests.

pjm84
    Free Member

106kgs and have these on my Trigger 1 29er. Gave them a bit of a battering on an lumpy XC route but no big air, and happy to report that they are still running straight and true.

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m 95kg and have 29er rapids (crests with eyelets), no issues, not even on the gulley at swinely.

dan45a
    Free Member

I weigh 68kg and managed to dent and bend my crests on 26″ build within 12 months riding I ride mainly south wales so I’ve changed to mavic crossmax and haven’t looked back.

tony24
    Free Member

Did you run them at silly low pressures or something

Northwind

I dent my rims all the time, then I straighten them- Stans or Specialized or Fulcrum or Mavic.

dan45a
    Free Member

30psi back, 25 front. ‘They were light but just found them soft compared to mavic.

I’d go for arch for the extra strength.

charliedontsurf

95kg and never had trouble with them.

daveb
    Free Member

81kg and running 29er crests. Have hammered them through rocky stuff and they are still running true. You should be fine.

Simpsan
    Free Member

Around 92 kg but had Crests on the Scandal 29er at about 97kg.
    I found them a little flexy. I use Arches and find the feel of these to be much better

coatesy
    Free Member

A lot depends on how you ride, rather than your weight. I used to ride with two guys, one 18st, one about 9st soaking wet, both using similar equipment. The heavier of the two was faster downhill, but rode with a lot of finesse, the lighter could trigger an earthquake riding off a kerb, thus damaging far more equipment, and making a mockery of the whole weight limit recommendations.I still wince at the thought of some of his landings.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You could always take the Arch EX option on the Hope Hoops for 70g extra weight in 29er format. extra stiffness for a little extra penalty.

I’m 85kg and race but choose Crests to keep the weight down, I’ve never bent one but do feel them twisting up a little on tight single track and berm sections, this maybe the SID forks though however, I’m going to get a set of Arch EX for trail riding on to see if I can feel the difference.

luket

A lot depends on how you ride

I’d echo this. I’ve had some crests built up only for a couple of months and have dinged the rear badly enough that I’ve bent the bed as well as the bead. I’m under 75kg but was running under 30psi. I’ll be rebuilding the rear with an Arch.

robsoctane
    Free Member

@the OP: I’m 80kg and have rode with Arch EX on Hope for a little over a year – no issues at all and I ride quite hard I’ve been told.

I also think it’s the way you ride though, seems absolutely fair to me.

Enjoy your Crests (if that’s what you’re going for, they’ll be great I’m sure. Stan’s rims are my favorites by far out of Mavic and Bonty’s.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Too heavy for Crests?’ is closed to new replies.