Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Tonight after work
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

I am going to go out on my bike and try not to think about the fact that in a few weeks the chances are I won’t have a work to go out on the bike after.

takisawa2

Same here, more redundancies.
    🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

Bad luck.

But at least you could then go out on your bike before the work you dont have to go to.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Oh dear Clare. Sorry to hear that.

For what it’s worth, if you’re anything like me you’ve spent quite a lot of the last few years thinking that it might be nice if you lost your job and could get on with doing something more interesting, but couldn’t quite face actually ditching it. I’ve lost quite a few colleagues just recently. All of them, without exception, have ended up working considerably less hard for slightly less money and are a good deal happier. One even managed to take 2 months off to ride his bike in between jobs.

mrsflash
    Free Member

bigdummy can I not work considerably less hard for slightly more money instead? I think I’d prefer it that way round 😉

robbo1234biking

Well I’ll be watching the rugby, cooking dinner for the mrs and then going to speak to our wedding venue. Hoping that both of us can keep our jobs but not looking to rosey really!

sharki
    Free Member

Thats rough Mrsflash.

I’m now into my 5mth without working, though i did take almost a 3mth break in between with a broken collarbone, so don’t ride too much and too fast like me..

All the best

S

mrsflash
    Free Member

Rich is already drawing up a training plan for me to keep me occupied!

juan
    Free Member

Boo sorry to hear that 🙁
    See the good side more time to ride…
    Plus I am sure nasher would hire you 😀

mrsflash
    Free Member

bit of a long commute though Juan!

ourmaninthenorth

mrsflash – glad to hear you’re off out on the bike. That’s a postive step right now.

Worry less about the job. I reckon you’ll find something. Just don’t do what one or two friends of mine have done and spend a little too much time navel gazing at home. Instead, think of something to do with the rest of the summer and do it.

I had 5 weeks off between my last job and this one, and didn’t really do much with it. I regret that now, and if I was in the same position again would do (cheap) fun stuff and perhaps have a mini adventure.

So, plan ahead to what you might do with your time, and enjoy the ride tonight..!

juan
    Free Member

bit of a long commute though Juan!

See now you are just being picky 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

Its worth remembering that work is just a means to an end.

man did NOT descend from the trees in order to go to work

there are plenty of other jobs out there and the majority of people I know who have been in your situation have said, with hindsight, that it was a good thing not a bad one.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Actually, I am surprisingly un-worried at the moment Tom. The pills are definitely working! There’s sod all I can do to change the situation and I have taken some proactive steps already. And some time off would not go amiss, I’ve had 1 day off since Christmas, and that was to go to the funeral of my best mate from uni.

And at least it’s happening now and not in mid winter. I have plans to visit my dad for a decent amount of time, and also wife of said best mate from uni and various other things.

It’ll all be ok.

Oh and I’ve applied to be an Avon rep so I’ll be taking orders for the STW Skin-so-soft requirements very soon (have checked with the mods I’m ok to ask!)

ourmaninthenorth

Got any pills going spare, Clare? Could do with a ray of sunshine in Mcr right now….

Seems like you’ve got good plans already. Like it.

man did NOT descend from the trees in order to go to work

Yossarian – I like that. It’s my annual “performance development review” on Thursday. Let me see if I can work that in *and* keep my job…!

EDIT: one of my reviewers is a very serious Christian, so suggesting we came from the trees might cause some, er, upset..!

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

I got back from my holiday on Sunday night, back to work on Monday and within the hour I was told my job was done, within another hour I had a new job sorted out (it was actually just my previous job…) and the rest of the day was spend drinking. Cracking day.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive been riding my bike now for 2 months. Im glad the summers been sunny 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

Could do with a ray of sunshine in Mcr right now….

Really 🙁 Oh dear. Well I’m off to the docs for my review on Friday so I’ll see if I can get any extra and post em over!

Sounds like a very good day SRO!

J0N
    Free Member

Me too.
    Sorry to hear that. Times are bad

I’ve been surviving on 4 free days a week for months now. In four weeks time I will have 7 free days a week to bike. However, I wont be able to afford a bike, or my car, or my flat, Oh joy.
    🙁
    I’m getting worried and desperate now: Architect/Interior technician looking for a job in Scotland.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Oh that’s crappy Jon. We are in the very lucky position that as long as we don’t actually go anywhere or do anything we can eat and pay our bills without my money coming in, so I do know that things could be a lot worse.

footstomper
    Free Member

Oh and I’ve applied to be an Avon rep so I’ll be taking orders for the STW Skin-so-soft requirements very soon

Make sure you give it a good plug for the cream that also acts as a good midge repellent which a lot of people say works up in Scotland 😀

If the worst happens then good luck in getting sorted.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Another here, – Been out of work for three months now, with nothing on the radar – We’re not really in any financial worry till the end of the year, so I’ve become a house husband after basically working away for the last three years.

Its been great for the family as a whole, great for my relationship with the kids and my wife, I’m happier, I’ve lost 11lbs of hotel food derived chub, I’m substantially fitter and I get to ride regularly and have time to explore new trails on my regular patch and even culture a few new ones.

Suffice to say, its all been good and I don’t miss the disposable income in the slightest.

ourmaninthenorth

Nah, not so bad Clare. Just work related ennui, and the prospect that there aren’t any alternative jobs for the likes of me right now.

Could do with (a) putting some cash aside and (b) having a bit of a mini adventure with Dr (Mrs) North.

Bunnyhop

Oh no mrsflash. Maybe this time off is good timing , so to speak. Start your horse riding again maybe? Oh and start your veggie plot.
    We’re in the same position as you. Hubby is supporting me while I work very few hours. My small business is only just ticking over. However I’m one of the lucky ones, there are loads of women out there who have no work and don’t ride a bike in my trade.

Put me down as a customer for the Avon skin soft.

rOcKeTdOg

MrsFlash, i need some skin so soft for a scotland trip next month, you have my email

domino

More time for riding 🙂 but not having a job 🙁 not so. Mrdomino finishes his contract in a few weeks and although he planned financially for a gap, we have to hope that the gap doesn’t stretch beyoned the plan -new contracts seem thin on the ground at the mo.

Are you sure you want to go for a ride while the roads are like rivers, or is that just here in Skipton?

rOcKeTdOg

rivers? is the tarmac melting? it’s 27 degrees and borderline too hot to ride here!

jova54
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that mrsflash. Been there since January but mine had no forewarning.

I’ve managed to do a bit of freelance work but the redundancy has now finally run out and I’m desperate to find something new.

I know it sounds trite but if you have to work to pay the bills then your new job, when it happens, will be finding a new job.

Best of luck whatever happens, at least it’s summer time.

thepodge
    Free Member

after 3.5 months of no job i started a new one today, hold in there, it does get better

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well Mrs Flash it will be us enjoying your Tuesday daytime ride photos this time. Bad luck but am sure something will turn up in due course.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Ok so I went out on my bike. But as an added twist, I went out on my mountain bike! I’m ashamed to say that in 15 years of riding mountain bikes, that is the first time I have ever been out on a solo ride!

it was bloody lovely. Not the most exciting of rides, down to the Emmerdale set, into Harewood, then down to East Keswick and back through Shadwell to ours – lovely evening, saw a few other cyclists, saw lots of bunnies, took a few photos, came back with a smile on my face and a resolution to explore lots more when I have time 🙂

Domino that must have just been in Skipton, it was lovely!

The Avon lady is coming round tonight to sign me up, so Rocketdog you will have mail tomorrow 🙂

lowey

Glad you had a nice ride Mrs. F. Solo rides when you have a lot on your mind are ace. Pure therapy.

Sorry to hear about the job, I’m sure things will work out for the best. You could always demand to be a kept woman. I’m sure Rich would accommodate you :p

firestarter
    Free Member

thats a bugger claire. Glad you enjoyed your ride tho sounds a bit like one of my little loops. Ive still not managed to get back on the bike but in a few weeks i’ll be free to ride most mon tue and wed daytimes so should maybe get into it again. Will bob you a mail in a week or so. You sounded like you could do with a break the other week so i guess all in all it could have been worse and it will only get better 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

Yeah Mick it will be one you have done many times I’m sure. Give me a shout when you’re free in the daytimes and we can go out for a potter. A friend is going to show me some stuff in Hetchell woods as well as she is shocked I’ve only ridden in there a couple of times!

firestarter
    Free Member

ive only ever heard of it unless ive been with north leeds before and not known lol 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

You might well have been in with NL. Jules usually goes in when he does Darcy rides.

firestarter
    Free Member

name rings a bell. There were lots of local stuff ive done but as its was always dark i never remembered owt lol at least i can ride in the daytime soon 🙂 i might find some i can remember. That was kinda the reasoning of me getting the garmin edge but not ridden enough to figure the thing out yet. As you noticed in nidderdale i pass you goin the wrong way 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Tonight after work’ is closed to new replies.