Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Toilet seat – quick survey…
  • oxym0r0n

So, in general does the top part (lid) of the toilet seat remain up or down in your house?

Mrs Oxym0r0n has a different opinion to me as to what is “normal”, so let the totally unbiased survey of a broad range of the population begin… 😀

Cougar

I close the lid when I remember, which is about half the time. It’s largely for practical reasons, I’ve a shelf above the throne and it’s quite easy to knock stuff off. Fishing deodorant cans out of the u-bend isn’t my idea of fun.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sc-xc

Up. Of course.

The bigger issue though is the hanging of the paper. My wife’s family hang it underhand – so that the paper hangs near the wall. Thus:

When surely in a civilised world we should be hanging in a more accessible manner?

Simon

Down. Cat drinks out of it otherwise.

yunki
    Free Member

up.. underhand.. anything else is pretentious

leffeboy

Underhand. The other way jams more easily and is only for fools

project
    Free Member

worked in a house and the seat closed slowly by itself, after just a small nudge.

Why anyone thought that was a good idea to make or design god knows.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Underhand is so bloody annoying!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What yunki said and paper definitely overhand.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Depends what sort of a mess you’ve left behind surely. If it’s nasty you’ve got to make sure the next user has the surprise…

tony_m
    Free Member

Down, although this really only applies when I use other people’s facilities as the lid on my own broke years ago. 😳

As for the paper, I’m 100% with sc-xc on this.

paulwf

I am pretty sure our toilet was designed by a woman as you are unable to flush without putting the seat down (the button is behind it)

brakes
    Free Member

down.
    it has a lid for a reason.

worked in a house and the seat closed slowly by itself, after just a small nudge.

Why anyone thought that was a good idea to make or design god knows.

to stop them banging when you knock it down.

yunki
    Free Member

unovolo
    Free Member

Seat down ,lid up, bog roll ideally overhand.

TheGingerOne

If you put the lid down it is then inconvenient for the next user regardless of their gender, so everyone is a winner loser.

Even though I live on my own, I have now developed the habit of putting the lid down and it has just become the routine!!

oxym0r0n

7 down
    4 up so far
    ish
    Oh, and I’d completely forgotten about the toilet roll – I’ll have to do another tally on that…

Lifer
    Free Member

Down – Overhand

stumpyjon

Overhand and 50:50, depends what state the kids have left it in. Thought it was only me who got knarked with the paper in the wrong orientation, maybe I’m not as retentive as I thought.

elaineanne
    Free Member

up or down in my house, i generally put the lid down but no-one else wud bother….both kids left the nest now so its just the two of us now.. men dont bother bout anything wen it comes to the toilet.
    just stop ruddy splashing !!!! ggrrrrrrrr :mrgreen:

sc-xc

No need for a tally oxy, overhand clearly wins.

I pity the underhanging fools. May their fingers scrabble around for the scraps whilst we overhangers feast on the goodness.

yunki
    Free Member

but how do you overhanders manage a clean one handed tear..?

Edukator
    Free Member

No seat and a sitzpinkler sign on the wall.

sc-xc

All in the wrist young man.

DickBarton

3 in our house, 2up and 1 down. Roll is correctly overhand in all 3 due to not having any loo roll holders.

rickmeister

“In this house” (League of Gentlemen,anyone..), we have all down, all overhanging and nicely folded points on the paper, Wednesday afternoons after the housekeeper has been round…

samuri
    Free Member

I can’t imagine why you’d need to close the lid. Stays open in our house.

Plus, I always regard a closed lid with suspicion. What’s it hiding?

talltom
    Free Member

‘soft’close lids in our house

stops the kids from banging the bloody thing at 4 in the morning

Their mum taught them to “lid down”

jordie
    Free Member

overhanders use more paper than underhanders = fact

AdamT

gotta be seat down….can’t say I’d given any thought to the over vs under hand loo roll tho.

project
    Free Member

worked with a chap once,we played a practical joke on him.

Start a day before chatting about crocodiles living in the sewers, say you saw it in the Daily Mail.

Next day continue the converation, and say you googled it and that there are dwarf ones living in the house sewers as large ones cant get round the bend in the bog.

Later that afternoon, put a plastic crocodile down the bog, with its mouth open, and tomatoe sause on its lips, now close the lid, and stick down with some Blu tack, get the victim to lift the lid, after saying the lid had stuck and the toilet was making funny noises.

Stand well back as the victim lifts the lid, as he will fly out screaming like a queen.

Or my victim did.

rossi46
    Free Member

worked with a chap once,we played a practical joke on him.

😆

My particular favourite is putting cling film over the china chair, its a bit messy though so make sure you’re not the one who has to clean it up afterwards!

Anyway, back to the matter…….. Seat up, bog roll overhand.

rossi46
    Free Member

Also turning out the lights and turning a can of WD40 into a small flamethrower under the door is a right hoot!!!
    Make sure you have good friends with a similar warped sense of humour though….

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Lid down of course – it’s feng shui innit? Something to do with cash flowing out and down the pan, or some such similar rubbbish!

Bunnyhop

Lid down, when flushing you don’t want any horrid things splashing over and out.
    As for paper, over, but our loo has one of those holders that holds 3 rolls and stays on the floor.

hoodie
    Free Member

Has to be over otherwise if your finger slips thru mid wipe, you leave a skid on the wall grabbing the nxt sheet

HermanShake
    Free Member

Lid down to contain the microbial treats when flushing. Our roll simply stands casually on a low shelf beside the throne. If on a holder, flap out. The transition from cylinder to vertical is far more pleasing to the eye.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

You leave it up every time you use it, she leaves it down every time she uses it

Thats an equal share of the domestic workload you’re doing there!

You should remind her about that, she should be praising you, not criticising you!

john_drummer
    Free Member

lid up, seat down, roll underhand (for no obvious reason, just that’s what we’re used to)

lid down will trap unwary middle-of-night users]

sc-xc I hope the “coffee” coloured tiles aren’t yours 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Toilet seat – quick survey…’ is closed to new replies.