Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Todays Scottish Independence thread
  • druidh
    Free Member

The most accurate and succinct analysis I’ve yet to see… http://www.nma.tv/scottish-independence-snp-salmond-cameron-referendum/

binners

Accurate?

Succinct?

We don’t want any of that nonsense! How is that supposed to promote tribal, repetitive, petty bickering and childish point-scoring?

Go and have a think about what it is you’ve just done

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

We’re preparing to defend our borders

donsimon
    Free Member

Can’t we just build a wall or something and have done with it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BBSB, TJ’s looking well buff and ting there.

Northwind

There’s no thread that can’t be improved with a judicious application of Zardoz.

onehundredthidiot

Just realised that if we get Independence. We get rid of Osborne, Clegg and CMD in on fell swoop.

I’ll take on RBS’ debts for that.

andrewh
    Free Member

Salmond isn’t really proposing independance though is he? It appears that he is just trying to move the government from London to Brussels. I’m not really sure that would help much…

TheFlyingOx

Am I mistaken in the following thinking…?

– Salmond has been bleating on about independence, joining the Euro and being a Celtic Tiger for a few years now. Westminster generally ignores him.
    – Now that the Eurozone is down the toilet and it would be a disaster for Scotland to be part of the Euro, Westminster are saying “fine, have a referendum. Difficulty: Yes or No options only.”
    – Salmond realises he’s been so focused on splitting from Westminster that he forgot to pay attention to the happenings in the Eurozone and that noone in Scotland with a brain in their head would now vote for independence and the subsequent joining of the Eurozone, so is now pressing for a third option of no actual proper independence but rather greater fiscal independence.
    – Westminster is enjoying Salmond’s back-pedalling and relishing the opportunity to put the Scottish independence question to bed once and for all.

EDIT: I may or may not have confused the Eurozone with Euro-using countries. I mean the latter.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

the opportunity to put the Scottish independence question to bed once and for all.

I wouldn’t of thought that the issue would go away just because a referendum was defeated. You’d still have the campaign for Devo-max or whatever you want to call it, and it would still come back in 20 or 30 years time I’d of thought, like it did after the vote in the 70’s.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Yes, you are mistaken.

Next question…

Junkyard
    Free Member

why not scots did not vote for the current lot they finished 3 and 4 th in scotland but get to rule due to literally english votes- they finished 2 3 in wales with only 11 seats combined v 26 for labour- you seem to think it is ok for england to decide the laws for wales and scotland despite them not being the most popular parties[ even combined].It is quite undemocratic

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I wouldn’t of thought that the issue would go away just because a referendum was defeated

+1

Eventually, this will only end one way – independence. Ideally, I’d like to see it in my lifetime though 🙂

Northwind

Ox- yes, you are quite mistaken.

druidh
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – it is remarkable how you have, in spite of the widespread recent media coverage, managed to completely miss what is actually going on.

Find the other threads on this and you’ll see some reasonable debate and explanation (on both sides of the independence argument)

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. federalism…

druidh
    Free Member

Meh. I was hoping to keep this one light-hearted rather then regurgitating the stuff from the past couple of days!

Junkyard
    Free Member

goo d shout that tbh to save the union

the figures are quite shocking with libs and cons being 3 rd and 4 th in scots uk election and 2 & 3 rd in wales – it does seem odd they should be ruled by who the english want

I dont think federalism within a more powerful EU is necessarily that bad an idea personally…..cant see uk politicians voting to reduce their power though
    Note not all constituencies are the same size as the lib dems get massive ones in scotland but have in reality only got 11 to labours 41 and only 1 tory and same in wales for labour – still its clear only England is tory.
    I think this is the crux of the issues Scotland will get tory govts but will never vote for them and that makes them dislike the union

oldnpastit

Scotland will get tory govts but will never vote for them and that makes them dislike the union

Scotland, like the rest of the UK, was ruled by Labour up until fairly recently. Did that then mean that support for the union grew during those years?

duckman

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    BBSB, TJ’s looking well buff and ting there.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

trailmonkey

why not scots did not vote for the current lot they finished 3 and 4 th in scotland but get to rule due to literally english votes- they finished 2 3 in wales with only 11 seats combined v 26 for labour- you seem to think it is ok for england to decide the laws for wales and scotland despite them not being the most popular parties[ even combined].It is quite undemocratic

no, you’re wrong, it’s not undemocratic at all, just a case of backing the losing side.

i don’t want a tory govt either but i’ve got one, think i’ll press for the peoples republic of denbury.

onehundredthidiot

Look we’ve taken back Gordo and might even let Darling back in what more do you want from us? Blair is oot o’ the country and Sean Canary might come back to live here but only if we don’t charge him any tax (so might “the Big Yin”) is this not enough penance. Suffering Brown and Darling must be worth the oil revenue alone.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

BORED NOW.

New subject please.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no, you’re wrong, it’s not undemocratic at all, just a case of backing the losing side.

i don’t want a tory govt either but i’ve got one, think i’ll press for the peoples republic of denbury.
    can you tell me when Scotland or wales last voted for a tory govt? I am not sure tbh but it will be only 1 or two examples in the last 100 years …thats not backing the loosing side that is getting who England picks rather than what their country picks…. you cannot really defend that in grounds of democracy . I am not sure you can compare a constituency to a country either but you are correct lots got a govt they did not want but that is not quite the same thing but obviously I can see your point

onehundredthidiot

But effectively we are states within a country so the democratic method means that those with the “most” votes rule.

To take it to extremis I didn’t vote Tory so…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

well yes but again if you were in a state that never votes tory would you want to stick with this union – it is hardly a good deal for you now is it ? this will just keep happening [ hence the calls for devolution /independence will keep occuring – lets not forget when they gave the country a parliament hey designed it specifically to never have a majority party as well
    I accept many in england did not vote for them either but they are not a country that will always be ruled by another country.it is more like the votes of france decided who rules you and you are destined to get a [Tory] govt you have never voted for

We are countries within a union I suggested states within a country as a possible solution – Devolution max so to speak but the govt the scots did not choose dont want to allow this option, how very democratic.

Scotland is a separate country within a union destined to keep getting a Tory govt they dont want and dont vote for…its not hard to see why this may annoy them and why they may wish to opt for a scenario that gives them the govt they do choose. Given this will occur I dont think the calls will ever die away tbh
    Comparing an individual or a constituency with a country is comparing chalk and cheese.

chewkw
    Free Member

If they gain their independence Tory will be in govt for a long time which also means putting all those lazy buggers to hard labour …

So please let the Scots have their independence …

Also once they got their independence they will be less competitive and the South being more competitive means more money and will be able to afford more 2nd home in Scotland … hahhahha …

Win, win …

donsimon
    Free Member

Wouldn’t some kind of coalition with Wales be beneficial for Scotland? Two countries against one which would clearly be in a position to maintain the United Kingdom name.

trailmonkey

If they gain their independence Tory will be in govt for a long time

would they though ? they way i remember things, people get fed up of govts and vote them out after a while regardless of what flavour they are.

maybe an england free of the union might one day be free of tory domination too ?

we can but dream.

PJM1974
    Free Member

@Junkyard

I’ve never voted for a Tory government and I keep getting the buggers. I’d happily throw in my lot with Scotland if they gained independence.

chewkw
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member

would they though ? they way i remember things, people get fed up of govts and vote them out after a while regardless of what flavour they are.

maybe an england free of the union might one day be free of the tories too ?

we can but dream.

Makes it harder to vote the other way as most Labour voters are from the North … so get rid of the lot of them it will be a paradise for Tory which means putting you lazy buggers to hard labour. Therefore, lazy buggers will immigrate to Scotland … the land of the free! Freedoommm!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Britain without Scotland is like a bicycle without wheels. Sorry, but the Union has achieved a great deal as a common entity and it would be tragic if we broke apart now.

chewkw
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member

Britain without Scotland is like a bicycle without wheels.

Yes and no.

Yes, if majority is worst off but I doubt it as the bulk of the population is in the South and I guess the contribution from Scotland might not be as high as everything might have thought.

No, if the South prosper while the North sucks … they choose that life style so be it.

We can always leave the door open for them to join again if they want …

donsimon
    Free Member

Britain without Scotland is like a bicycle without wheels.

Why not think that Scotland without Britain is like a wheel without a bicycle? A wheel in itself is a pefectly functioning unit.

chewkw
    Free Member

don simon – Member

A wheel in itself is a pefectly functioning unit.

To look at for the rich … 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

It strikes me as an exercise in futility. We’re all going to end up parts of a federalised Europe sooner or later (which I don’t believe to be a bad thing). Even England itself is a sum of it’s defunct constituent parts.

Scotland has brought Britain so much over the centuries; culture, engineering, statesmen & women. I do think that in every measure, Britain would be much poorer without Scotland. And vice versa.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Makes it harder to vote the other way as most Labour voters are from the North … so get rid of the lot of them it will be a paradise for Tory

Not really if you believe David Dimbleby on Question Time this week. He said that no Labour Government has ever needed the Scottish vote to gain a majority. Can’t remember the source he quoted. Completely blew Kelvin MacKenzie out of the water who was trying to argue that Labour would be out of power forever if Scotland got independence.

Really all these Scottish Independence threads are completely moot. Whenever the vote happens the turkeys are not going to vote for Christmas. The best Shrek can hope for is some extended form of devolution.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve never voted for a Tory government and I keep getting the buggers. I’d happily throw in my lot with Scotland if they gained independence
    IIRC TJ has a flat for rent, join him in the people’s republic

TheFlyingOx

The Flying Ox – it is remarkable how you have, in spite of the widespread recent media coverage, managed to completely miss what is actually going on.

Sorry all. Wasn’t meaning to offend. I’ve not been in the country since the middle of November and have only really been getting snippets of news.

zokes
    Free Member

can you tell me when Scotland or wales last voted for a tory govt?

It doesn’t matter. The populace of Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland voted in a General Election for Her Majesty’s Government, which sits in Westminster. The lot that are now in power got in because of how the UK’s population as a whole voted. That’s how it works.

In fact, I can almost certainly guarantee that no Lib Dem supporter has voted Tory, so if anyone has room to moan, it would be those voters…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Todays Scottish Independence thread’ is closed to new replies.