Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • To Lycra or not?
  • spando
    Free Member

What do you prefer?
    I remember when I used to say I would never be seen dead in lycra. After a winter of commuting in nice comfy warm bib tights, I’m seriously considering hanging up the baggies for good. My MTB is a P7, I recon Lycra clad rider on a ferrous trail bike is a bit contradictory however I’m not bothered that much about looks and am erring more towards comfort and function over fashion.
    Which camp are you in Baggies V Lycra, Function V Fashion………..
    P.S I found great deals for biking wear at
    http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/

njee20
    Free Member

Lycra FTW. Unless you’re fat. Just to get in before someone else does:

PJM1974
    Free Member

Baggies.

Haze

Baggies off road, lycra on.

fasthaggis

I only wear baggies for popping down the shops 😀

Lycra keeps everything in the right place 😉

messiah
    Free Member

Lycra always… but with a very light, nicely designed baggy over the top to ensure I don’t look like a gimp.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Lycra for the road, baggies for the MTB.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wore baggies ont he touring bike last weekend and reminded myself why it’s such a bad idea. They catch on anything and everything (mainly the shifters), and baloon up on the decents. LYCRA FTW, only bother with baggies on the AM bike as they don’t fall apart in a crash so easily.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Lycra for Raod, MTB racing and training.

I hate baggies as they are clumsy and uncomfortable but I will sometimes wear them if it’s a slow pace social ride with people I don’t know as I’m quite shy! 😳

spando
    Free Member

Oh yeh never thought of the lack of protection when wearing lycra, could be a sore one if you come off!

MarkyG82

As my road rides are more touring and I dont care much for aero’, I wear padded shorts under baggies on whatever bike I’m on.

I like the comfort of padding and being held in by lycra, but also like the protected feel of baggies over the top. I have various degrees of weight in my baggie collection for different conditions.

GrahamS

Lycra under baggies here too.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Why not have your cake and eat it…

Baggies* over lycra

*the type that have detachable inners

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Lycra at all times here, it allows one to get off the back of the saddle, and more importantly, get back on it again!

One of the lads I ride with had a particularly nasty fall when his baggies caught on his shifter during a very slow climb.

And with legs like mine, why would I NOT wear Lycra??? 😉

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I never ride in baggies on or off road. Don’t care how it looks I just want to be comfortable when I ride and padded shorts give me that. I wear the cannondale ones, not cheap but durable and comfy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Oh yeh never thought of the lack of protection when wearing lycra, could be a sore one if you come off!

It’s not protection, you still get grazes through the material, I meant that my baggies are some kind of cordura type material, so it doesn’t rip, so after a crash your privates are still private. Lyrca just disintegrates if you hit the ground faster than walking pace.

Lifer
    Free Member

Lycra on road, baggies on mtb.

njee20
    Free Member

Lyrca just disintegrates if you hit the ground faster than walking pace.

On the road perhaps, not off road.

sofatester
    Free Member

Lycra*

*As long as your body fat is lower than 10% 😉

topangarider
    Free Member

Bibshorts under baggies for ‘normal’ rides. Lycra on its own for racing. Defo lycra for road riding.

I’d always go for bibshorts over non-bibshorts now. The increase in comfort in amazing.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I would never be seen dead in lycra

This. There really is never any excuse.

mountainman

Baggies* over lycra

*the type that have detachable inners

My favourite too,plenty of choice on the market.

13thfloormonk

All lycra, all the time. 8)

There’s some (Endura, noteably) thats thicker in the areas most likely to be landed on, so it lives up to a few crashes.

I hated the feel of wet, gritty and or muddy baggies flapping around my legs, slowly falling down, and catching on bits of the bike, just seemed so pointless.

That said, I’ve just bought a Pitch for some jumpy downhilly business, noteably a fortnight in B.C. I’ll NOT be wearing lycra for that…

headfirst
    Free Member

Can I just check something, do people actually wear baggies without padded lycra shorts underneath???

That seriously makes no sense to me. Why would you do that to yourself?

alpin
    Free Member

lycra unless you want mums outside the school to give you suspicious glances as you ride past.

i use work shorts over lycra as they are much harder wearing and cheaper than specific bike shorts… also you usually have lots of pockets for stuff.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

How baggie are these baggies you lot wear? MC Hammer pants or what? Flapping about? You’re not meant to look like a professional boxer, you know.

sam42
    Free Member

Baggies over lycra, been loving the thermal bib-longs over winter, could anyone reccomend some nice, sensibly priced bib shorts to continue the comfort through summer?

anc
    Free Member

This has been done a zillion times on here. Wear what you like and be happy :mrgreen:

kayak23

soundninjauk

Baggies over lycra. Endura 3/4 humvees (with the padded lycra liner that pops in and out) for me 🙂 Why anyone would ride around without padded shorts on is a mystery to me.

Lifer
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member

“I would never be seen dead in lycra”

This. There really is never any excuse.

U is jus jelus

LoCo
    Free Member

Lycra road

Lyrca with baggy shorts over the top for MTB.

just got a cyclo cross bike as well and am confused as to what to wear 😕

GlitterGary
    Free Member

U is jus jelus

Nope, just a cold as ice style icon.

IHN

Spring/summer/autumn – baggies over bibs (baggies may be waterproof jobbies if it’s wet) on MTB, bibs on road.

Winter – waterproof baggies over unpadded bib-tights over bibs on MTB, unpadded bib-tights over bibs on road

zovelo
    Free Member

Definitely always wear lycra all the time cos it works better, reduced chaffing and moves moisture away from skin quicker (if it’s a decent quality fabric) and has a chamois pad for people with boney behinds like me.
    If you don’t like the lycra look then have baggies on top. I usually have baggies on top so I get more pockets.

loum
    Free Member

“just got a cyclo cross bike as well and am confused as to what to wear”
    lycra over baggies

daveb
    Free Member

Lycra for road and mtb unless going out on a big group ride then normally bib shorts with baggies

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Lycra if you’re going out to ride your bike.

Baggies if you’re going out to sit in the trail centre cafe and chat about boring bike bike components whilst eating cake.

wellhung
    Free Member

Lycra on & off road, if you’ve got it flaunt it :0

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘To Lycra or not?’ is closed to new replies.