Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • To Lycra or not?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Oh, so the baggies go OVER the lycra? 😳

lunge

Lycra on the road.
    Baggies over lycra off-road.
    CX is road riding off the road so is lycra as well.

Ladders
    Free Member

just got a cyclo cross bike as well and am confused as to what to wear

You have to wear a longsleeve skinsuit, it’s the law!

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Baggies only as I don’t road ride and off-road rides are generally less than 2-3hrs so no real need for padding as my saddle is pretty comfy. Have a padded liner to go under the baggies for all-day outings if required.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Baggies for me. I don’t actually own any lycra that hasn’t worn out to the point of being see-thru though! (and neither do lots of other people i’ve noticed).

jmenorton
    Free Member

Baggies over lycra here aswell, although only just started wearing the lycra, still tryna find the best placement of ‘it’, Had to stop today and do abit of rearanging

spando
    Free Member

Just been out for a run in my nice Gore flash tights, soo comfy. Might give them a go with a padded short for MTB. Though the bib short mankini thing does look to be the comfy option. Would it be cool to go with the bib short relaxed look with the shoulder straps hanging down? 😳

hock

Can I just check something, do people actually wear baggies without padded lycra shorts underneath??? That seriously makes no sense to me. Why would you do that to yourself?

Why anyone would ride around without padded shorts on is a mystery to me.

Baggies over sport briefs in summer, tights over sport briefs when cold. No pads whatsoever.

Why?

1) I don’t want some kind of bulging nappy between me and the saddle
    Ever noticed these godsend saddles with that pressure relieve groove along the middle?
    Why would you want to fill that groove with foam from your shorts?
    Same applies to those “comfortable” saddles with soft padding by the way. Terribly uncomfortable they are!
    Luckily I don’t have any chaffing issues, well padded natural leather skin I suppose.

2) these pads provide no control of your private parts at all
    They don’t! It’s either in the way on the left or on the right. Or both. While good anatomic briefs merge everything in one central somewhat elevated position. If you know what I mean.

Anatomy seems to be a very individual thing! 😕 😉

What I still don’t get: why would you want to wear 2 shorts over each other (lycra shorts plus baggies). But I sense it’s the need for the padding… Why not try padded liners or padded boxers..?

user-removed
    Free Member

Since the advent of the Charge Spoon, I’ll occasionally ride without padded shorts. Anything more than a local bimble requires lycra shorts with pads.

The main reason most riders wear baggies over lycra is to minimise the ‘Oh my God – look at that’ effect.

Kevevs
    Free Member

despite riding my roadbike much more than my mtb bikes, even if I lost the flab I have and became micro-slim… you know the score, I still will never wear lycra. It’s for people that take fun and enjoyment and time off too seriously. It’s for people that may love riding bikes that want to really look like cyclists. naah, it’s too serious for me. I’ll keep sweating. (this opinion my change at any time)

rudedog
    Free Member

easygroove
    Free Member

road = lycra (always)

mtb = baggies is casual ride, lycra if racing or in enduro.

your ride style (lots of down and not much up) may lean you towards baggies, if you are pedaling a lot of up and generally ride a bit more of an xc flavour you may be more inclined to wear lycra – a bit of generalisation i know

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I wear lycra OVER baggies.

Not really. The lycra never comes out unless it’s really cold and then it’s tights with baggies over the top but the rest of the time it’s just baggies and no lycra. If I wore just lycra I’d:
    Destroy it by crashing
    Look gay
    And it would destroy me inside for knowinmg I would have looked like ‘that’.

nick3216
    Free Member

Lycra mainly. Baggies sometimes, but never on skinny tyres.

Also known to mix lycra kneewarmers with baggy shorts.

Kind of baggy-curious

Oh, and always skinny jeans in London.

jonba
    Free Member

lycra if racing on any type of bike. Baggies over lycra for social mtb and lycra for the road.

Was thinking of getting a skin suit for cross 😆

njee20
    Free Member

What an odd post.

officialtob
    Free Member

#awkward

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How bizzare, must be a troll login surely?

Oh, so the baggies go OVER the lycra?

Reminds me of a friend who always wore boardshorts under a wetsuit. Speedo’s in a hired wetsuit if you’re squeemish, but boardies?

binners

Any bloke who leaves the house clad only in lycra has no doubt had an extensive internal dialogue, wresting with whether they look like a sex offender or not, and concluded that they don’t. Sorry to inform you chaps. You were wrong

officialtob
    Free Member

Random. The post has now been deleted.

njee20
    Free Member

Even more odd!

mduncombe
    Free Member

With out a doubt the most comfortable things to wear on a bike are bib shorts. If you have only ever worn baggies or lycra shorts you really should try bibs, its a revalation.

Given a choice of lycra shorts or baggies with undershorts I would most likely go for the baggies.

But given the choice of wearing lycra bib shorts its a no brainer, bib shorts or bib 3/4 are simply the most comfortable thing on a bike.putting baggies over the top just makes them less comfortable and a bit too warm.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘To Lycra or not?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM