Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Titus El Guapo
  • ScottChegg
    Free Member

These Titus El Guapo frames at On One. Has anyone actually got one? Plenty of recommendations on posts about all mountain bikes, but who has one?

And if you have got one; what are they like, then?

brant
    Free Member

I will see if I can round up some troops to give you feedback.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I have. (I’m a normal punter, not one of Brant’s troops….but I do also own a ti456 so like on-one work I guess)

Mine is one of the old stock (the last medium? bought from on-one in September)…the new ones are identical except for a tapered headtube ( I have 1.5″) and new, neater cable routing…a big improvement as I, like all titus owners, suffered ghost shifting and now run a full length outer zipped tied along a totally different root (down the downtube and along the chainstay)

The bike is great. I took it ‘home’ straight after biulding it…3 weeks in Phoenix thrashing South Mountain and the surroundings….it eats big, techie, chunky riding. It is a strong, stiff, confidence giving frame. it suits..no, it needs big forks. I run coil u-turn lyriks. the BB is low so I now run the forks at 160 all the time. the bike is very good climber so long forks are fine. I’d think the low BB would make anything less thna 160mm a bit of a pain on any chunky riding.

Oh and the monarch air shock is….going back to on-one and sram once I get around to posting it….the conversation I’ve had with on-one and sram tech support was not inspiring 🙁 I wish that on-one offered something differnt…a coil option would suit….or any shock that worked reliably.

Any specific questions?

Oh and it’s only £799 now isn’t it? I thoght the £899 I paid was a good deal….the nthey go and knock another 100 quid off….damn!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilnevill
    Free Member

BTW ScotchEgg where are you? If you are near London you can try mine out…once Wiggle sort out the lyriks (8 rides old and wearing stanchion) and CRC the headset replacment….if Brant had anything to do with Nukepoof’s **** headsets then I’m not a fan of his work after all!

hmm….other than the bad luck I’ve had with parts I like the bike!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its not one of the black and yellow NP HD headsets is it? I had one – worst designed product ever. The compression washer thing can’t be pushed down far enough by the top cap to tighten the headset. Took me months to figure it out… realised it was just pap and binned it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

err no, just black. a EOS warhead or something-or-other. keeps working loose no matter how tight the stem is done up (and I got pretty pee’d off and clamped that up way too tight!) I’ve asked CRC to refund me…I’ll have to go for a chris king instead I think, there isn’t much choice on 1.5″.

GW
    Free Member

not sure why anyone’d want all that travel on a steep, weak, high BB frame. 😕

neilnevill
    Free Member

??
    It’s none of those things.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sounds similar to the problem I had with mine.

Its the \____/ shaped washer. The cap that sits above it doesn’t push down on it enough to push it far enough inside the bearing to create a tight clamp around the steerer.
    I told Nukeproof – no reply. Shame as I love their bars and the other bits I’ve used of theirs…

lock
    Free Member

ive had one for 3 years i think,its done 3 trips to the alps (all up lifts) ,downhill days ,plenty jumps and drops and loads of long days in the hills,

its a very capable bike,very effeciant climber,if you have differant wheel/tyre combos its perfect,

6 inch bikes fall into 2 cats for me ones that feel like a small d/h bike.not so good on singletrack and climbs

or ones that feel like pumped up trail bikes,the el gaupo feels like the 2nd to me

anvilden
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be my choice for regular 20′ hucking, that would require a ful on FR rig but I agree with lock… “an all pumped up trail bike” that can take some aggressive riding. My usual riding grounds are nothing much to talk about but have taken the EG all over to natural gnarly descending trails in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand in the last 3 yrs.

I’ll make no denial here, am definitely bias when it comes to the EG, Just about 3/4 of my blog has something to do with it, from rides to components and setups…

emmodd
    Free Member

Without wishing to direct people elsewhere there is a Titus specific forum on MTBR which you might find of use. Got to be one of the best value fs frames on the market.

amphibian
    Free Member

GW – is it your mission in life to balance out a potential surplus of positive vibes in the universe? You and Cynic-al seem to take it in turns 🙄

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Long travel trail bike as opposed to a short travel Dh/ freeride bike? Just as the yeti ASR7 had frequently been described? Not a difficult concept to grasp. Oddily not all bikes with the same travel are built the same way or to do the same thing.

Recent “contributions” to the collective consciousness

Best armour for XC? None I don’t use em when I ride Dh, dirt jumps etc
    Best gloves? None, I don’t use em when I ride Dh, dirt jumps etc
    Best dropper post? None etc, they’re all crap and anyone who thinks different is an idiot.
    How do I learn to ride flats? Even a 4 yr old can do it.
    Ooh I think I’ve bullied Flow off the forum, go me.

Keep up the ego massaging, negative, zero value posts GW.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Luckily, I was after experience/opinion, not Dogma; so I can instantly tell who to ignore.

…high BB frame…

And yet, someone who has actually ridden one says the opposite. How odd.

Some good stuff there. If the Monarch is not the best shock choice, there should be a bit in the kitty for a swap.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

That’s a lot of words to type without any point that I can make out.

Do you have one then?

float
    Free Member

or for that matter ride XC on a super long travel full suspension bike in the first place.

not everyone can afford (or wants) more than one bike…

whats wrong with having a bike that’s jack of all trades?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

A couple of strangers who own and have ridden it you mean? And its an internet forum of course we’re strangers, I assume none of the OPs riding buddies own one hence the question. If you don’t value the opinion of strangers why are you on here?!

Why don’t you back up your opinions with argument based on your knowledge so we benefit from your posts? What is wrong with the geom and what do you consider good geom and why? What’s wrong with the frame build, are you aware of them breaking? Others have highlighted the shock which is useful point for the op to factor in any purchase decision.

neilnevill
    Free Member

with regards to the shock, the monarch is custom tuned to the bike and the damping adjustment left for the rider to alter the feel to his or her preference is tiny. This caused me no problems though, it seemed to work ok for me, but heavy riders running high pressures may find damping lacking.

My problem is the shock loosing air. I’ve also read (on here) of others having various other problems. However, when I searched the mtbr forum the monarch shock seemed to get good reviews.

Hopefully SRAM will fix mine, but I’ll probably get a fox dhx air or coil for it soon anyway.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

GW seems to have been removed from this reality.

Happy New Year!

shooterman

Don’t wish to hijack but I’m very interested in that ghost shifting post above.

I’m riding a Motolite which is a fantastic bike but I have serious trouble with ghost shifting when in the middle ring on the front. Are there any solutions to the issue?

Dark-Side

Hey Neil, fancy bringing the El Guapo up for a weekend to one and riding Snowdon in Spring?

Chris

kfother
    Free Member

Similar comments to neilnevill, although i just received mine on Xmas Eve so only a few rides on it so far.

I owned an On-One 456 Carbon before it.

Intial impression are stiff and agile. You dont need a Talas (i have a Fox 36 160mm RLC) on it (and i climb technical). Frame sizing is a bit different fit from the One one 456. Sizing on paper is the same, but your not as stretched out on the EG. Sitting much more upright, and my back tells me its the way to go!!

Still playing with the rear shock settings, but not bad so far. It certainly doesn`t wallow, or bottom out easily.

and for £799????

stuartie_c
    Free Member

shooterman,

I’ve got an ’06 Motolite and ghost-shifting has never been an issue UNLESS the mech hanger worked loose – loctite solves that problem. I’ve got the rear shift cable loosely cable-tied to the swing-link strut to limit its movement through the shock assembly and I keep the outers trimmed short on an XT shadow rear mech.

I’d first check for any lateral play in the mech which may be due to a loose or bent hanger or slop in the mech bushings.

shooterman

Thanks Stuartie. Off out to the garage now!

neilnevill
    Free Member

shooterman, I’m not sure if the motolite is similar to the EG but on the mtbr forum I read loads of comments about awkward cable routes and shifting trouble for the EG….I could understand messy looking routing, especially with bits of cable being a little long and bowing awkwardly when the suspension moves but couldn’t think how it ghost shifted unless people had the outer too short. I erred on the long side for my cables but still had some ghost shifting…hit a drop or big bump and pedal out the other side and …shift! I read on mtbr of a solution, full length outer and take it down the downtube and along the chainstay. I’ve now done that and it is a little neater and the shifting is better.

not sure GW was ever part of this reality. Perhaps he had the EG mistaken for another bike.

Chris, lovely idea. I’ve not done Snowdon and the EG should eat the Rangers path for breakfast. I’ve messaged you on FB

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and one more thing now I remember. front mech. The EG is designed for a bottom swing mech but since I had a top swing one to hand it got built with that and has caused no trouble. Which ever mech you fit, setting it’s height is awkward. Even with it in the correct position, if you use full travel on the back end while the mech is in granny gear position the swing arm will graze the mech cage slightly….if you set the mech too low it will thump it hard.

and just because….me and the EG on ‘The Waterfall’ on the Goat Camp trail, Phoenix.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Playing on some Sedona slick rock…

and typical South Mountain ‘chunk’ SoMo is/was the Titus test track, its probbaly less than 5 miles from Tempe. The EG was designed for SoMo’s National trail. This is the ‘Waterfall’ on National (original names eh!) You wouldn’t beleive it, but the hardest bit of the move is just about over in this photo!

neilnevill
    Free Member

more of National

and climbing too

Dark-Side

Great photos mate, looks ace.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Titus El Guapo’ is closed to new replies.