Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Titanic – why why why ??
  • hels
    Free Member

Is it all over the news at the moment ? I know the it’s 100 years and all that, but why are people interested ? An have to assume they are as it’s all over the news.

A ship sank 100 years ago, some folk died, all very sad. A terrible film was made 10 years ago, also quite sad. But still, its very tedious…

And as for the saddos who are going on the recreation voyage on some other ship, that is nothing like the Titanic. I mean, if they were going to re-enact the sinking I could get on board (sorry) with the whole thing, but in reality they are on a modern cruise ship, sailing past where it sank.

I just don’t get it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I just don’t get it.

And yet you just HAD to post about it.

peterfile
    Free Member

I agree.

Let’s ignore stuff that’s happened more than, say, 19 years ago.

People should not be permitted to have any sort of interest in historical events. Their money and time would be FAR better spent on a 29er fixie (steel of course).

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m inclined to agree. a lot of it is excessively morbid, i find.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yes, it was a tragedy, but there are tragic things happening all the time which deserve just as much recognition. I can understand documentaries, etc. but it’s not news.

Having said that, these days the BBC news seems to be much more about plugging the BBC’s other ‘factual’ programmes rather than reporting actual news

King-ocelot
    Free Member

That terrible film was more than 10 years ago, unless there have been other terrible Titanic films that I an unaware if as I’m so effing cool.

hels
    Free Member

Captain Flasheart – I was hoping that in amongst the sarcasm and disdain there might lurk a gem of understanding and insight. And I’m off work, it’s raining, and I’m bored.

How ironic would it be if the recreation voyage sank, btw ? Now that would be proper actual Kate Adie Real News.

binners

Even when considering death, half-witted people need to wrap it all up in a warm fug of nostalgia. Thats all fine, if you have a sense of perspective

I’m not an expert in History, but I seem to recall that around about 100 years ago, there were a couple of world events that resulted in the loss of a few more lives than on a badly constructed ship

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m not an expert in History, but I seem to recall that around about 100 years ago, there were a couple of world events that resulted in the loss of a few more lives than on a badly constructed ship

I am an expert in history, I believe the events you are referring to are the construction of the pyramids and something that happened in Rome. HTH.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t care much about the Titanic, all the hype about it, or the moaning about the hype.

Just thought you’d like to know 😛

EDIT: Oh and a proper moan should go “Why, oh why?”.

chewkw
    Free Member

Send a U-boat to torpedo it … 🙄

That will create history.

Yes, yes, no iceberg but torpedo create more sparks.

hels
    Free Member

Now I feel bad for wishing a ship would sink. I am reminded of a quote from Rob Muldoon, Kiwi prime minister during the 70s re Kiwis emigrating to Australia and raising the average IQ of both countries.

hels
    Free Member

I’m doing a proper moan right now Al. Should I also let you know what I’m wearing ??

ohnohesback
    Free Member

All this fuss about the Titanic. What happened to the iceberg?

portlyone

At least it isn’t more on the bloody oxbridge boat race. How that’s still shown live on tv is beyond me.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’m not an expert in History, .. .. .. a badly constructed ship

not an expert in history but an expert in marine construction? so what were the elements of the ship that were “badly constructed?”

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Not so much bad construction as poor design.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye it was the design that was flawed, no?

Leading to separate partitions?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

so what were the elements of the ship that were “badly constructed?”

I hear some of the marquetry on the tables in 2nd class was, frankly, shocking, even for 2nd class standards

binners

I think its the fault of whoever vocalised the word ‘unsinkable’

Once that’s out in the open, there’s only ever going to be one outcome

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I had hoped never to hear that apalling Sealion Dion record again…

bikebouy
    Free Member

MwA y’all… there there now..

1.2.3 altogether now..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saalGKY7ifU[/video]

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I hear some of the marquetry on the tables in 2nd class was, frankly, shocking, even for 2nd class standards

to be fair, it is looking pretty shoddy now, and it’s not like it’s been used much

cynic-al
    Free Member

hels – Member

I’m doing a proper moan right now Al. Should I also let you know what I’m wearing ??

Pics please.

Harry_the_Spider

not an expert in history but an expert in marine construction? so what were the elements of the ship that were “badly constructed?”

Weren’t the rivets brittle resulting in their heads popping off on impact and causing the plates to separate?

ye it was the design that was flawed, no?

Leading to separate partitions?

Rudder was too small also.

However, I am not a metallurgist, marine architect, doctor, ice cream salesman or rabbi so I do tend to speculate or regurgitate stuff that I gave seen on the TV.

Kryton57

hels – Member
    How ironic would it be if the recreation voyage sank, btw ? Now that would be proper actual Kate Adie Real News.

Funny you should say that, I saw the BBC report this morning and the journo on the boat looked a tad nervous IMO….

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But there are no icebergs there at the moment…

martymac

if they hadnt said it was ‘unsinkable’ i doubt whether any of us would have heard of it.

emsz
    Free Member

I didn’t know until a couple of days ago, that there were two other ships, just the same, Gigantic and something else. And there was a nurse who survived the titanic and got sunk on another one, and she survived that!!

amazing

Harry_the_Spider

They didn’t say it was unsinkable before it sank. That tag was applied afterwards by the press, much like Tommy Simpson didn’t say “Put me back on the bike”, King Harold didn’t say “These buggers will have someone’s eye out” and Neil Armstrong didn’t say “F### me! It is made out of cheese”.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

if they hadnt said it was ‘unsinkable’ i doubt whether any of us would have heard of it.

Sadly that quote is an urban myth not said until quite a while afterwards by the media to hype up their coverage.

HarryTuttle

It wasn’t called “unsinkable”, nor was it “the biggest”, nor was it badly constructed etc.

The truth is it was the 2nd ship of the class. The Olympic was the 1st and biggest and the subject of all the press that today is attributed to the Titanic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Olympic

As for “badly constructed”; the Olympic was made side by side with the Titanic and was basicly identical. This ship actually sunk a U boat by ramming it as was known as “Old Reliable” in the war.

njee20
    Free Member

Weren’t the rivets brittle resulting in their heads popping off on impact and causing the plates to separate?

Indeed they were, iron not steel rivets.

I didn’t know until a couple of days ago, that there were two other ships, just the same, Gigantic and something else

You mean the Olympic and the Britannic?

There’s an interesting conspiracy theory that it was actually the Olympic that sunk, they ‘swapped’ the ships to avoid a costly repair on the Olympic. The iceberg bit wasn’t supposed to happen though.

Edit: I say ‘interesting’ in the mental sense, it’s all rather far fetched!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

A groundbreaking disaster movie in which the audience soon find themselves rooting for the disaster.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Spare a thought for the 4,375 people who died on the MV Doña Paz In 1987. Not much talk about that.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i hope leo survives this time x

Harry_the_Spider

i hope leo survives this time

You would have thought that as he’d spent most of the film trying to ride her like a lilo he would have taken the opportunity to do it once they hit the water.

Dancake
    Free Member

Spare a thought for the 4,375 people who died on the MV Doña Paz In 1987. Not much talk about that.

just read up on that. how terrible 😯

redfordrider
    Free Member

Yup, puts things into perspective.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not on the pictures I’ve seen (Dive magazines etc), and as a diver, anything to do with shipwrecks is interesting to me, and I’ve never seen any evidence of flawed rivets. That said, see below (so to speak)

However, I am not a metallurgist, marine architect, doctor, ice cream salesman or rabbi so I do tend to speculate or regurgitate stuff that I gave seen on the TV.

oh, ok then, seems fair enough. However, it’s worth bearing in mind that W Randolh Hearst (the Rupert Murdoch of his day) and Bruce Ismay (Chairman (and maybe MD) of the White Star Line) had fallen out over Ismay’s failure to co-operate with the press (ie Hearst) some years earlier, so given the chance to portray Ismay/White Star in a bad light, the Hearst owned press jumped at the chance, and press cuttings of the time are the easiest information source for later documentaries.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Titanic – why why why ??’ is closed to new replies.