Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tips for swapping hubs?
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

My front hub has a bent axle and is a bit rumbley so as a new XT hub is only £20 from CRC at the moment i though i would swap the whole thing instead of just the axle.

When I had to replace a rim someone suggesting taping the new rim to the old one and swapping one spoke at a time to keep it simple. I realise this won't be possible with the hubs but are there any tips for keeping it simple? I'll get the LBS to true it properly afterwards.
    cheers
    Mark

wwaswas

unless the bearing surfaces in the old hub are worn I'd just swap the internals fromt he new hub to the old one?

if you'e changing hub models then chekc the flange diameters as you may end up needign new spokes too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No shortcuts sadly.

If the cups are OK I'd just replace the rest, a rebuild is more complicated as you really want to re-use all the spokes inteh same orientation.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

i didn't have a good look at the faces when i had the axle out, but its not exactly smooth, although it does spin ok. It's only a year old, but i was working on the basis that if i have hit something hard enough to bend the axle i had probably pitted the faces with the balls too.
    It's the same hub model as before:
    CRC linky

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've heard cups can be swapped as they are a press fit (as campag) but I've not done it.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

You will have to relace the spokes into the new hub and do a rebuild. Its so easy to do though. Just go on you tube or Sheldon Browns website, or the many other sites on building wheels. They even show you hot to true and tension the wheels. If not then you might as well get the LBS to lace the wheel and true it. It will only be a tenner in difference if that, over a true up.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I think i will replace the whole thing, i have the new hub anyway and it shouldn't take that long. I did start building a wheel rig ages ago, maybe now would be a good time to finish it and learn to true them myself.
    LBS won't re-use spokes, they insist on only fitting new ones. I found this out when i needed to replace a rim. They are happy to true it though if you swap the rims yourself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tips for swapping hubs?’ is closed to new replies.