Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Tips for riding when it gets remote
  • ash

Where are you off to jhw?

I rode the Trans-Provence route solo in June 2009 (was the first full run-thru of the route).

Blog of the week is here. May not be of huge interest as there’s not really much on survival stuff in the blog and I was greeted by a loving wife and baby each evening at camp so it wasn’t out and out adventure. Riding into huge bits of very quiet wilderness every day on my own was still a huge buzz though 🙂

Alpha1653

May I refer the honourable Samurai to my previous post:

“…take an OS map so that if you do have to call for help you can give a grid of your location. Goes without saying that you need to be able to map read before…”

As for cheese, that entirely depends on the type. Afterall, edam would be rubbish. However, you could use a big block of cheddar to fashion just about any MTB component out there…god knows most manufacturers have tried it at some point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Samuri 100%

Its knowing the right cheese to take thats the skill.

epicyclo

TandemJeremy – Member
    …Any serious accident in a truly remote area could be fatal. ride not to crash

Says it all really.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Pick the level of adventure you are ready for. By “adventure”, I mean how uncertain the outcome is. Start small and work up. Be prepared for mishaps – they are the important learning experiences.

I especially enjoy solo adventures – time to think and see, no constraints. But be especially cautious in remote areas if you choose not to have people tracking you, because there will be no aid should you get in trouble. Complete self reliance is the ultimate part of the game, but make sure you really understand the risks.

Suddenly I feel the urge to do a three day mountain hike with camping gear on my back 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

My apologies Alpha, you did indeed point out the important stuff previously.

As to which cheese, well wars have been started over less but personally I would take a well matured Lancashire. I’m wanting crystals to crack between my teeth as I’m gnawing on it.

ash

FTW

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lancashire? LANCASHIRE!

Dunsyre blue or bunchester please

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best was a saying often bounded around our Troop.

messiah
    Free Member

Pick your days. Hellfests are for idiots. If conditions up high are poor stay low and have fun, be prepared to change your plans and think about escape routes and not pushing for that final peak or valley.

Local cheese ftw. A little local knowledge is always helpful.

BadlyWiredDog

I was almost killed by local cheese in the Picos, be wary of ultra-mature Cabrales, I was still trying to wash the taste out of my mouth 12 hours later. I think you have to make a considered decision on cheese while on the ground, simply assuming that the local cheese is better can be a massive error. In some cases it may make sense to stay with cheese that’s a proven quantity. Or go for one of the new ultra-lightweight survival cheeses that are starting to appear.

Alpha1653

Or go for one of the new ultra-lightweight survival cheeses that are starting to appear.

You mean Baby bel? They’ve been around for years. However, their funky waxy packaging means they’re ideal for a survival situation. Plus, you could use the red stuff as a fire lighter if needs be. Incidentally, cotton wool coated with a little vaseline makes a great fire lighter…

TheBrick
    Free Member

cotton wool coated with a little vaseline makes a great fire lighter

Best fire lighter!

Laughing cow is NOT suitable for a survival situation.

anjs
    Free Member

Again make sure you can use a map and compass to navigate right down to near zero vis.

jhw
    Free Member

Gruyere has my vote.

I’m planning various trips to the Alps (Northern) and Lakes next spring/summer – it’s a little sad but I just like poring over maps and picking out big options while watching telly of an evening! A lot of the routes I’m looking at doing are more exposed and remote than anything I’ve done before so this is a useful thread.

Blog looks amazing. Will read in detail.

Radio looks cool but will probably hold off and just ride safer. I have a little walkie talkie that works for 5km but that’s more for staying in touch with your ride/ski buddies if something goes wrong.

I use a tough GPS (an e-trex H) in conjunction with OS/IGN maps

Hellfests ARE for idiots. It takes such strength of will to change plans when the weather’s rubbish if you’re only in the area for 3 days anyway. But you have to do it.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A block of compressed dates remained for many years in the bottom of my backpack, way outlasting the original wrapping. The coating of fluff added dietary fibre, and the assorted washers and small screws stuck into it were potentially a valuable servicing resource. Not that I was ever so stuck as to risk it.

*Must try some as a firelighter*

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Tips for riding when it gets remote’ is closed to new replies.