Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tinbred becomes Tinbrid…
  • the-muffin-man

For those of you who know me from old you will know how many variations of build this frame has been through – its been rebuilt more times than Triggers Broom! I can’t bear to part with it so It keeps evolving.

I’ve had it built up for a month but tonight was the first time I’ve ridden it*. Got the 700C rims as NOS of eBay and had them built on some old Hope sport hubs. Really does shift for a hybrid, especially with a fat knacker like me riding it!

(*its the first ride I’ve done in 4 months!)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

my old charge forks 🙂

TheGingerOne

Very interested as I commute on mine at present with 26inch slicks and am thinking about rebuilding the wheels with 700c rims. Does it make a noticeable difference going to 700c that makes it worthwhile in your opinion?

the-muffin-man

Hi GingerOne

Sorry missed your post last night. IMO its worth it (depending on how much you spend on the wheels of course!). Over the same 16m route I was 4 mins faster on this than the 26″ slicked up MTB I rode last winter, and there’s room for a quicker time as I’m not very fit at the minute.

The lighter rims, tyres and tubes make a difference to the rolling resistance.

It does depend on how far you are planning to ride – for a 5-10 mile commute I wouldn’t bother, but if like me you are using it as a alternative to a road bike its worthwhile.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i need to get some slicks for my hybrid hybrid mtb 😉 700 x 32c houffalaize CX tires on it … – 22miles each way so slicks FTW – also need to up the gearing…. 38-16 on a rohloff = spin city !

TheGingerOne

Cheers for the info. My commute is just under 10 miles and pretty flat, so it sounds on the edge of being worthwhile, but as I don’t have a road bike it would certainly be cheaper and better to get them for other road riding as well as just commuting.
    I think I am quite similar to you as I also feel the frame is a keeper as it is good and versatile. Mines done everything from the Tour de Mont Blanc to a 100 mile road sportive!! It’s currently got Reba’s on instead of the RC31’s and its 1×9.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Really does feel like it shifts for a hybrid

Dickyboy

the-muffin-man – very nice I like that alot, trouble is it now has me thinking about going 700c on my slick wheeled mtb 🙁

paul4stones

Ha, funny that. I spent last Sunday afternoon tinkering with a spare 456 frame and Crmo 29er forks and made something vaguely similar. I decided there wasn’t really enough clearance for the back tyre but that was with 35 small block 8s on. Might be ok with a gatorskin 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Are the forks standard 26″ corrected for 100mm of travel or are they specific 700c forks?

the-muffin-man

They’re just standard 26″ MTB forks – 100mm corrected, 440mm axle to crown.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tinbred becomes Tinbrid…’ is closed to new replies.