Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Time spent in the car V time spent on the trail???????
  • xterramac
    Free Member

I made a rule a few years ago, that if I had to go by car to a get to a trail, id make sure my ride outlasted the time spend in the car… Does anyone else follow this rule and how far have you pushed it? (It was all well and good when i lived in the midlands, peaks=3.5hr round trip, north wales 4.5hr round trip, cannock/pines=2hrs and so on…A little tougher now im moving to Dorset :?)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Recently, i rarely drive to go riding, so its the perfect ratio.

but in the past I did once drive to Coed Y Brenin from Cambridge, in a really bad storm, ride for a couple of hours (too many trees down for much) and drive back again.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

0% time in a car V 100% time riding.

That’s living in the North Lakes 😉

However, quite often it’s a longer carry up than the ride down (in terms of time spent).

thomthumb
    Free Member

A little tougher now im moving to Dorset :?)

except all the good riding in dorset 😀

yunki
    Free Member

I only drive to ride half a dozen times per year so my carbon footprint is ace.. 🙂

xterramac
    Free Member

thomthumb good riding in Dorset, honest? I tried that cranborne chase killer out of an old mbr, what a let down as it was proper bob!
    Where else is there?

strike
    Free Member

time spent travelling to/from ride must equal time spent riding!

….otherwise I feel cheated

hora
    Free Member

My rule is as close to double as possible.

Or more than’ the combined drive there if its a really interesting drive.

Once upon a time I use to drive to the likes of Penmachno- enjoyable but ridiculous sitting on the motorway for 2hrs each way.

Or I’ll make it a combined-weekend- going to see friends in Edinburgh or London for instance.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The number of times I’ve driven anywhere to ride must be still in single figures this year. And thats riding at least once a week. Generally if I do drive anywhere, its either for a long weekend in the Scottish Borders or North Wales or 45 minutes to Cut Gate or Gisburn so riding still far outweighs driving time. If driving > riding ever happened, I’d have to rethink where I lived!

strike
    Free Member

Unsurprisingly, there’s a trend of people driving less (for wahetever reason!).

I used to do a 105mile round trip (including my 25mile trip to work) to ride at Thetford forest once a week – gave up on that this year, mainly due to fuel costs. It was a good thing, as it forced me to explore what’s much closer to my doorstep, and shortly I’ll be going trail building in some woods 20 minutes away!

timc
    Free Member

sometimes its the drive that stops me travelling, reason I have a road bike 😥

jam-bo

I rarely drive more than 20mins to ride. Do enough driving too and from work.

plenty of good riding in dorset and within a hour or so away.

thomthumb
    Free Member

mbr

that’s where you went wrong!!

lots of nice stuff on the purbecks. puddletown. uk bike park. natural stuff round blandford.

someone local would give you a better idea.

globalti
    Free Member

Road bike: Car time: 0 hours. Ride time: 1-5 hours.

purser_mark
    Free Member

I’ve been making the effort to explore more local trails lately. Time doesn’t always alow a long trip. Living in Essex it’s all a little flat

It’s sometimes suprising what is on your doorstep however, and there is something rewarding about riding a trail for the first time, even if it’s not the best in the world.

Try and leave the car at home more often I say, there might be some good stuff just down the road.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I live in the South Lakes so drive time is next to nowt/nowt and ride time is 100%

Saying that, going to scotland tomorrow, for the weekend though.

xterramac
    Free Member

thomthumb: natural stuff round blandford
    Ive hit ashmore a few times, but thats abit tracked out now,,,, where else should i head?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Time spent in the car V time spent on the trail???????’ is closed to new replies.