Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Do I need to bleed my brakes?
  • crispo
    Free Member

My rear Avid Elixir brake is being a right pain. Ive noticed that after a few uses on a ride it starts to squeal terribly especially on longer descents. It also doesnt quite feel like it is stopping how it used to, it seems to have nothing and then just lock up.

I have tried changing pads and cleaning the rotor, which I recently changed over onto a new back wheel. So I think it must need bleeding, although the front one is working prefectly still.

Any ideas before I fork out £45 for an avid bleed kit!

Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it spongy – thats a sign of a bleed. Squealing and not working could be contaminated disc and pads

crispo
    Free Member

Thats what I thought originally but I put new pads in and gave the rotor a really good wash. Its wierd as the squealing tends to develop as the ride goes on.

I guess it does feel a little spongy compared to how it did when new.

dnpadsy
    Free Member

If you’ve changed pads & rotor then chances are it will need a bleed, are your front & rear rotors the same size? If so swap them around & see if the problem changes to other wheel then new rotor time if not bleed them.

stevious

If you do go for the bleed option, you can get a kit for about £15 on ebay. I got mine from epic solutions and it does the job well (although the torx key you get with it is a PITA to use).

dnpadsy
    Free Member

Friend of mine went for the cheap option from ebay & bled the brakes without any problems definatly a better option than £45!!

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I got the Red Dog Racing bleed kit and it seems fine.
    Doesn’t make the Elixir bleed any less of a PITA though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Heat makes them squeal as I discovered on my previously silent juicy 7’s in the alps. Very bloody annoying.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Elixir bleed any less of a PITA though.

eh ? its not exactly hard

shite thing about avids is their pistons seem to come out at an angle with alarming regularity !

– spent last week maintaining 10 bikes recieving alpine abuse !

martinxyz
    Free Member

If you had one syringe + connection you could flush it through from bottom to top with the brake removed and get a firm brake without degassing the fluid.Just dont go shaking the bottle before filling the syringe.It wouldnt cost £15.

A brake can also feel spongy if the calliper is off-square.Even with a good bleed.

crispo
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Cant swap rotors, front is 203 and back is 180.

I wouldnt have thought its heat, was only on a blast around darwen moors and rivington.

Thanks for the replies about other kits, will have a look.

crispo
    Free Member

If the piston has gone a bit wonky whats the best way to try and remedy that?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Some brakes just squeel. If the lever feel is firm and it is not punmping out as they get hot, it dosn’t need bleeding.

To stop it squeeling, you need to change the resonant frequency of the system to one that is less annoying. Take it all apart, give it a good clean, swap some washers around. Might work, might not.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

To stop it squeeling, you need to change the resonant frequency of the system to one that is less annoying.

Also try reversing the polarity of the flux capacitor.

martinxyz
    Free Member

My marta on the rear of the hardtail can squeal if the hub (crossmax st) backs off a bit.There was a slight amount of play so i adjusted it by hand the first time it happened and cured it.It had nothing to do with the brake at all.. although the brake was the part making the noise! If that makes sense.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Check caliper alignment
    Check disc is central in caliper
    Clean pistons
    Pump in and out
    Clean pads

stevomcd
    Free Member

Get a Formula bleed kit instead – identical and half the price!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Do I need to bleed my brakes?’ is closed to new replies.