Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • tilt shift effect.
  • nonk
    Free Member

can one of the many photographer bods on here explain just what the fek is going on with that? ta muchly.

Stoner
    Free Member

very good model making.

You can see the brushwork though.

brakes
    Free Member

these cows are small
    those cows are faaar away

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fivelittlefish
    Free Member

Tilt shift is where the plane of focus on a lens does not match the imaging plane. So for an example the front of the lens is mounted on a bellows or other flexible carrier. This enables the operator to move a point of focus around on the image, with the other areas falling off into de-focus. Part of the reason that big ‘view’ cameras with bellows mounted lenses are used for advertising. Sometimes called a Frazer lens on movie cameras.
    It looks like a model because a similar effect is apparent when using macro lenses, due to their narrow depth of field when wide open

nonk
    Free Member

my daughte thinks all aeroplanes are tiny. had a few father ted moments with that one.

nonk
    Free Member

got you little fish ta for that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

basicly……………..

In a normal lense everything X feet away from you is in focus.

In a tilt shift lense the plane of fiocus can be wherever you want it to be, usualy at an angle either horisontaly or verticaly.

The reason it looks like a model is that closeup photography results in a really narrow depth of field (distance within which stuff is in focus) so real life can be made to mimic this effect by creating a plane of focus that intersects with the subject at an unusual angle.

Alternatively you can do it in photoshop by bluring the top and bottom of the picture, for a really bad exmple of this look at dirts photo of the Fort William finish area this month, call me cycical but look at the big screen, the plane of focus somehow manages to cut through it perfectly horisontaly, either that or they’ve just tried to make a boring photo ‘interesting’.

Klunk
    Free Member
    marsdenman
    Free Member

Don’t mind the effect on stills, really wish they’d stop using the effect on TV though……

bigjim

yeah its quite easy to do in GIMP/photoshop etc, quite entertaining results.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/14014317[/video]

i love this video. so much so, that i did a whole essay on it!

alfabus
    Free Member

Definitely looks best with trains and buses…. I think it is my mind thinking that they are more likely to be models.

nonk
    Free Member

cheers klunk it was the current chainreaction team video from la bresse that got me wondering.

crazy-legs

I like this one of New York

m1kea
    Free Member

Tilt shift lenses are generally meant to get as much as possible in focus / on the same plane / remove converging lines.

If I ever spunk the cash for one, it’ll be for this purpose though I dare say I’d ****t about with the miniature effects that are de rigueur these days.

Trouble is £1900+ on a lens that won’t be used to make money is a difficult one to justify…….

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Own a shift lens but very pleased to say I’ve never tried that really annoying effect. Hope the TV producers find another effect to use soon.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Yeah,some of the effects software churn out are shocking. I was thinking about an FD canon tilt shift lens for my A1 a few years back but they were still very expensive. I had ideas about taking pics of a certain street rider in a more arty way using one of these lenses but i lost interest when i looked into it.. and found what people were doing to images at home on Photoshop. The thought of buying the lens,travelling and buying film etc when people could manipulate normal images with ease peeved me off and made my idea look pointless. It kind of spoilt it for me. I had ideas for Black & white shots using film. I think it would have been fairly exciting waiting to get them back from the development to see if any came out well or not. To have them on prints without any fake manipulation was also the attraction.

I feel like theres something special still there about real tilt shift photography after typing this.. and its kind of put the spark back into the idea. :O)

MrSmith
    Free Member

i have a nice canon TS-E 45mm tilt shift lens for sale if anyone fancies having a play, £600. nothing wrong with it just don’t use it as much as the 24 or 90.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

This was done using an online app

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

For a similar effect to Tilt Shift (but def not the same as) there is a very creative little lens called a Lens Baby, which can be bought for not much money

nealglover
    Free Member

A couple of mine. Not the best but I am pretty happy with the effect.

trickydisco
    Free Member

This one’s good

[video]http://vimeo.com/2317118[/video]

bencooper
    Free Member

A vaguely on-topic one 🙂

This was done with a Ukranian Arax lens…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘tilt shift effect.’ is closed to new replies.