Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tiling question (possible DIY content)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How easy is it to tile a kitchen wall? Quick/easy enough to learn it while doing it?

Or worth getting a tradesman in? How much would they charge to tile arround a kitchen worktop (64 ceramic tiles, each aprox 5"x8" in size). In Wokingham.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If the walls are flat/new plaster then you'll be fine DIY – but take your time and plan what your going to do. If the walls are not flat then maybe get a pro in. Did the walls and floors in our kitchen recently(about 300 4"x4" on the walls), with no previous experience and am very happy with the results….. but it did take about 3 times longer than I guessitmated.

jimmy

Tiling's a piece of piss. Get a proper tile cutter, though, if any funky cuts are needed. Think you can hire them.

benspoons
    Free Member

id always recommend hiring a tiler as thats their profession and if they werent good at it they wouldn't get paid.
    if the walls are truely flat, its worth having a go yourself if thats the kind of person you are and your handy with a trowel and a tile cutter.
    tools you'll need: trowel, grout float, tile cutter for edge cuts, angle grinder if your doing any internal cuts for say round a window frame, hack saw for cutting your trim, tape measure and pencil and plenty of tea! 3mm spacers, grout and adhesive and your rolling!

otherwise a pro tiler should charge around 100 (up north anyway) half a days work

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmmm, for £100 I may just be tempted to sit at work and do some overtime whilst he gets on with it.

benspoons
    Free Member

i couldnt possibly tell you how much it would cost as im not from down there, but if its only like 2 sq'm i cant see it being expensive.

mind you, sitting here like a tiler on the phone cant see the extent of the area they'll be working in. walls could be as flat as jordens chest, and have a miriad of plug sockets etc to cut round so who knows!

basically it cant harm to ring two guys up and get them to give you a quote!

midlifecrashes

It's very easy, electric tile cutter a must for cutting notches etc though.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

depends the state of your walls.( I know some tilers that will not touch a job unless it's been properly prepared by a plasterer or a joiner).

If your wall is uneven it will amplify any mistakes you make. Also it's important to think about setting out the job so that you can decide where to start and finish your run. You need to think where the focal point is, so that your cuts don't draw your eye.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>How easy is it to tile a kitchen wall? Quick/easy enough to learn it while doing it?<

Flat wall is straightforward but it depends on how good you are with your hands, how flat your walls are and how particular you want to be with the end result 🙂

If the walls are off the plumb, corner angles away to sh1t and you have to tile reveals etc it can end up becoming quite a challenge

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tiling question (possible DIY content)’ is closed to new replies.