Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ticks on a hound
  • anagallis_arvensis

Doglet got a couple in scotland when we were up there came back last sunday and I've found two more one today and one yesterday. How long do the little blighters take to become noticable, or could she have picked them up here? Just trying to sort out where they might have come from.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Sounds like she picked them up since you got back. They usually get full after a couple of days and drop off

anagallis_arvensis

Must of been the local woods then….. Is it a great worry and can I get anything to reduce the chances of picking them up, she already gets flea treatment regularly.

I already have a proper tick remorver thingy that works well.

haddock
    Free Member

twist them anti clockwise to get them off – dont pull them or the jaws stay stuck in – just had to dig the jaws out of my dogs leg after she scratched one off.

madal
    Free Member

Hey "AA", you and I are on THL 8)like already said, anti clockwise 😕

Drac

Love the twist anti-clockwise post people make about them, it makes no odds at all.

anagallis_arvensis

you and I are on THL 8)

eh?

Love the twist anti-clockwise post people make about them, it makes no odds at all.

Certainly instructions on my tick twister thingy dont say twist anti or counter clockwise, they just say twist.

So I dont need to worry too much about them?

Dobbo

If you have them locally get some Frontline from the vet or good pet shop and put it on the hound, it will kill any on him and prevent any for a month, we treat our neighbours dog that we look after.

geoffj

Local ghillies swear by a drop of dettol in the bath the night before going out, and smothering with vaseline once attached – they suffocate and drop off apparently.

flatfish
    Free Member

we found frontline didn't work so the vet prescribed advantix which seems to work a treat.

Dobbo

I think you can get different strengths of frontline, you can buy it off the shelf in the supermarket (low strength probably) we got it from a farmers supplies at Penrith and had to give name and address for them to sell us it! Works a treat but defo NOT cheap.

mAx_hEadSet

I often find with two sheepdogs here that slipping a metal spoon into the hottest water you can find a quick swipe of the hot spoon at the implant point causes the grub to loosen as it starts to feel the heat and then flop into the spoon.. the dogs never fuss and usually are expecting a stroke, by the time they realise it is not, the hot spoon is gone so is the tick with all it's bits

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ticks on a hound’ is closed to new replies.