Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tick Bite Prevention Week
  • AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

I know we do the subject fairly often but you can never get too much prevention information when facing the very, very nasty lyme disease 🙂

This week is Tick Bite Prevention Week

Taff
    Free Member

Just seen the symptoms – fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, aching muscles etc. That’s me most days!

Other than the bullseye mark how and above how would you know you had it? I got bitten last year for first time since I was a nipper and wouldn’t know any different

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’ve already had to pull one out from 10 days ago, still got the bite mark. Thankfully I do not live in an area with lyme’s disease (yet).

I had applied 100% deet before the ride as I knew I’d be in the undergrowth as I was shooting some video.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Other than the bullseye mark how and above how would you know you had it?

More info on symptoms and diagnosis here:

http://www.bada-uk.org/homesection/about/diseases/tick-bornebacteria.php

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

I had applied 100% deet before the ride as I knew I’d be in the undergrowth as I was shooting some video.

Yep, I note that this week is supported by Mosiguard. Insect repellants do seem to give some protection but not 100%. In fact it makes them more likely to crawl somewhere you haven’t sprayed before they bite – potentially making them more difficult to spot (metion on the website about someone finding one in a belly button and amongst hair etc.

jdavies
    Free Member

Hi, just popped into my favourite bike forum to post about Tick Bite Prevention Week (yes I know, it’s the only thing I ever post here about:-)) and find you’ve beaten me to it!

A timely (some would say very useful) piece of news – Davina McCall has been to hospital in the US to have ticks removed and is on antibiotics. On twitter there were lots of stupid people telling her she should have burnt them, smothered them, etc, etc. I’m currently running the @tickbiteprevwk account as well as my own and spent most of last night putting people right!

Even if you think it doesn’t apply to you (it does), please visit the tbpw website, read people’s stories, get more informed, tell your kids, buy them the Jack, Scruffy & The Ticks book, order a few more packs of tick removers (I have one in each rucksack!), give the charity some support. They work tirelessly to inform people so you don’t have to suffer like they (we) have and do.

Many thanks
    Jan

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Thanks Jan,

Thinking about buying a box of the removers to leave at the local bike shops. Anywhere doing them in bulk / wholesale?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Seems that Skin So Soft can really help keep them at bay. Mate of mine is a real tick magnet (will get 5-10 on a ride where I get none) but seems to stay free of the buggers after a liberal application of SSS. Obviously used it for the midges but seems to have a beneficial side effect.

nick1962
    Free Member

I woke up one morning at a music festival to find one attached to my b*****ks 😯
    And no I did not burn it off!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tick Bite Prevention Week’ is closed to new replies.