Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Thule Racks and Carbon frames….
  • Kryton57

… is it possible to overdo the tightness of the “grabber” on the downtube and damage the frame?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I think officially they recommend not clamping or even holding a carbon frame on a bike rack using the frame tubes.

When I’ve had to put carbon frames on the roof, I’ve only done the gripper up just enough to hold it without movement but no tighter. I also drive a little more cautiously.

wwaswas

bit of helicopter tape around the grab point maybe to stop scuffing?

br
    Free Member

… is it possible to overdo the tightness of the “grabber” on the downtube and damage the frame?

Of course. Better to use some pipe insulation, that way you’ve ‘slack’.

Kryton57

I was going to use some innner tube.

Hmm, sounds like I’d be better of removing the wheels and sticking the frame on the back seat…

Northwind

Depends on the frame I suppose- On One say the C456 is fine with it, and that seems legit to me, it’s tough as old boots… Though the finish won’t stand for it.

ChrisL’s Mojo’s often been on his Thule rack and seems none the worse. Sturdy frames. But then not all carbon frames are like that, I’d be more wary of a superlight XC frame.

Kryton57

Northwind – its a Bianchi road bike…

wwaswas

Road bikes have to use a fork mount carrier and have a separate carrier for the front wheel.

It’s the law.

julians
    Free Member

My carbon mojo HD goes on my thule rack all the time, I havent taken any special precautions, just clamp it up the same as I did on my old alluminium bike.

Kryton57

Its the back seat then, I need to carry it Sunday and no time / money for a fork mounted rack.

*Thinks* Although I may have one tucked in the garage somewhere….

andyl
    Free Member

I think I’d go the upside down route with one of those saddle clamps and bar clamps on a carbon road bike.

Kryton57

When I’ve had to put carbon frames on the roof, I’ve only done the gripper up just enough to hold it without movement but no tighter. I also drive a little more cautiously.

I think I’ll do thism with some lagging or inner tube to protect the finish – its only 1 30 minute trip on Sunday. If the worst happens, I’ll have all the bits to build onto a Ribble frame…. :-/

iainc

It’s winter time, your carbon road bike must remain tucked up in the house 😀

nosedive
    Free Member

ive regularly had carbon mountain bikes in mine, and they have been fine despite, in one case, specific advice from the manufacturer not to do it. worth some helitape so the finish isn’t rubbed off though.

Kryton57

Well over the course of the day I’ve been researching the effects of damage on carbon, including vibration from roof racks and stone chips from the road.

I’ve changed my mind, its wheels off and in the backseat!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Stone chips from the road?? Is your car going to be churning up the ground that much that stones will be flying up over your roof?? 😉

Kryton57

Other people’s stone chips…..

gsp1984
    Free Member

If you can afford a bianchi road bike in carbon, you can afford an £89 Thule fork mounted rack ;-)… They are much more stable too

bencooper
    Free Member

Are carbon forks gong to be strong enough for that kind of thing?

gsp1984
    Free Member

Yep, no different to 60mph down a bumpy mountain A road.

They are designed for those forces, the frame not so much.

pjt201
    Free Member

hmm, not sure why i wouldn’t use one. If it’s good enough for cycling team cars then why not use the same system at home:

gsp1984
    Free Member

Free bikes, I’m sure they don’t care about anything others than getting the spare bikes off quickly as possible

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Thule Racks and Carbon frames….’ is closed to new replies.