Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Three day trip to Mt Ventoux – anyone done it?
  • Tinners

Inspired by Harry Metcalfe’s jaunts around Europe in tasty motors, four of us are planning a 3 day trip to Mt Ventoux in the summer (avoiding school hols). Travelling from Mid Wales to, probably, Bedoin via Eurotunnel by car. Plan is to travel down in a day, do Ventoux on hire bikes on day 2 and travel back on day 3. Sharing the driving and singing all the way down. Don’t want to stay in a tent or bunkhouse, but not a 5* either. Somewhere mid range will do, but crucially, authentically French and full of character. Anyone done it? Where’d you stay? Have been to the bike hire place at the start of the ride before and they seem pretty good but never stayed near to Ventoux or ridden it. Yes, we’ll ache, yes we’ll be tired and flying is probably easier, but sometimes life’s too short not to. Via Michelin says about 12 hours to get there by car. Any tips? We’ll be doing it in an old Merc petrol something or other if my mate gets it through his MOT. It’s apparently in good nick, although I haven’t seen it. None of us speak French so any pre- booking could be an issue. Thanks in advance of any replies. PS forgot to say – one of the group is disabled (and up for it) but can’t walk unassisted so we plan to tow him up (his suggestion rather than simply come along for the journey). Looking into tag along type thing to hire.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/HUWCeAzkc2Q[/video]

aP
    Free Member

It’s a lot of driving. Why not Roubaix or Flanders? Our go to the Ardennes?

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Doing this almost exact trip in two weeks except it’s for four days and we are doing alp d’huez as well

We’ve booked all the accommodation online so no parlez vous Francis required

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fly to Marseille? More riding less driving

titusrider
    Free Member

Did this drive last summer taking my golf gti down for some French mountain roads with the road bike in the back.

Driving Tips:
    Do route napolean (n85) even if it’s a detour
    Do try and order a French motorway toll tag
    Go up go gorge du verdon and col du vence

Riding: I did Club des cinque or however it’s spelt (3 times up and down)
    I think from looking at the bike shops at the bottom in Bedouin you wouldn’t find any adapted bikes
    Might have to hire in the UK and get In the car?

Staying: stayed at Les mas de baux through booking . Com
    Couldn’t get much more authenticity French, it was simple but great and friendly

And finally, Harry’s videos are awesome arn’t they 🙂
    They are quite few videos in that area, one of the Evo coty and chris Harris golf gti review are both quite local

antigee

Think it says in the intro to Simon Warrens 100 Climbs of TDF that he did most of them as weekend trips – I was impressed …. go for it

pirahna
    Free Member

It’s a lot of driving for a short ride up a mountain. Good luck towing your mate up 😀

Tinners

Thanks for the replies.
    Titusrider – that’s just what I need. Many thanks.
    (PS Harry’s just posted a new video featuring his 911 Turbo – 34,000 views in 2 days by the looks of it! I could listen to him talk about his classic cars all day long).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Three day trip to Mt Ventoux – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.