Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thoughts on Orange Five 29 S? trying to find my next bike
  • jacob46
    Free Member

can you get better for the money?

I like the fact that its cheap to service compared to the others due to single pivot on rear.

Bregante

Do they sell the frame only Five 29?

If so the answer to your first question will be yes. Orange full builds are generally pretty bad value for money IMHO.

toppers3933
    Free Member

The world and his grandma will be along shortly telling you that you can buy ‘more’ for your money but not necessarily ‘better’.
    Ride one. See what you think and go from there.

ji
    Free Member

I hated it. Loved the 27.5 though. Try before you buy.

phildowling
    Free Member

In thinking of the Five 29 as a Frameset option but also considering the Gyro as an option as well,
    Seems to be a lot if people racing Gyro’s at enduro etc.

jonk

Orange demo day is your best friend when trying to decide. I have a Gyro and its the fastest bike i’ve ever owned – really good on all types of terrain. I’ve also ridden the 5 29 and loved that but i also own an alpine so couldn’t justify owning a gyro and five.

jacob46
    Free Member

thanks guys,

I think 2500 is my limit. it was 2000 but ive upped it a little. test rode anthem X 29 last week and loved it but im keeping my HT carve pro and a lot of people have told to go for something more aggressive to what basically I already have. so its Orange Five, Gyro Or Stumpjumper(which is a fantastic looking bike). unless anyone can recommend me a bike?
    Leisure Lakes have a demo day at Cannock chase on 8th of march. phoned them today and they have all makes and models will be there.

cp

Whyte 129?

Just saw some in the lbs today. Tidy.

chestrockwell

I’ve got a 5 29 S and think it’s ace. The feel of the bike is very similar to my old 26″ 5 and it doesn’t feel it’s size at all.

Same pros/cons as all 29ers Vs 26″ i.e. it’s very, very fast and smashes anything you stick in front of it. It does everything the old 26″ did and does not make any harder work of it, including tight switchbacks. It’s not quite as much ‘fun’ as the 26″ though, given the right situation. You go out for a ride on it rather then go out to arse about if you know what I mean.

I can’t really see why you’d get a Gyro over a 5 29 as the 5 29 will cope easily with virtually all types of riding and gollops the miles as a cross county bike. Keep an eye on the Orange website as my mate got a one ride old ex-demo 5 29 S with repainted front triangle for £1800.

satchm00
    Free Member

The spesh fsr stumpjumper seems to be getting good reviews in mbr as an alternative option.

Try before you buy is the only way you’ll ever know to be honest. Personal preference counts for a lot.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

can you get better for the money?

Almost certainly

I like the fact that its cheap to service compared to the others due to single pivot on rear.

It’s one part of a bike with wheel bearings, BB bearings, headset bearings and a whole raft of other moving parts. The increase of a few more bearings will probably not increase the cost that much. I’d rather choose my bike on ride characteristics than a bearing change.

rOcKeTdOg

SC heckler, lighter, similar price frame only & also single pivot (27.5)

jacob46
    Free Member

The spesh fsr stumpjumper seems to be getting good reviews in mbr as an alternative option.

Try before you buy is the only way you’ll ever know to be honest. Personal preference counts for a lot.

they have a demo day in march. for the money you cant beat it IMO. will be doing my best to test it out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on Orange Five 29 S? trying to find my next bike’ is closed to new replies.