Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Those who like bugs
  • roper
    Free Member

Say hello to our latest "things" in our house.
    Sandra and Jeffrey are Damon diadema
    They are a breeding pair so hopefully we will have lots of littl'ns running arround.

Sandra

Jeffry

and the happy couple

DezB
    Free Member

Eurgh! I'm hoping you don't live in the UK???

z1ppy

man there weird/scary looking, though there wiki entry makes them sound very interesting & totally harmless to humans – if a little strange to keep as a pet
    They avoid light by staying hidden in daytime and hunting at night

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_diadema

roper
    Free Member

This pair were from a breeder in the UK. 😀

They do tend to be nocturnal but like most arachnids don't like direct sunlight. Keep them in a shady part of the room and they are out and about most of the time smooching about.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Feel utterly sorry for the poor sods – couped up in a tank, bloody tragic IMO

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Gawd

nuke

Lovely 😐

Each to their own

DezB
    Free Member

Dylan08 – Member

😀 just imagine how bored an insect will get in a tank… ❓

Roper – how big are they? Pic for scale? On your nose maybe?

swamp_boy

just imagine how bored an insect will get in a tank…

I don't know, if there's two they can take turns to drive and work the gun

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

😆

roper
    Free Member

DezB the male is slightly bigger and about 4.5-5cm long and I'm guessing 8-10cm wide, but that depends if it is laying flat or standing up. They are quite fast but very easy to look after.

Dylan08
    Arachnids don't know as their enclosure is emulating their natural habitat and these are captive breed. However they won't get eaten, starve, diseases or dehydration and they don't have mites. Also as not so fluffy animals are often ignored when it comes protection understanding how and where they live will also improve their chances when it comes to protecting their natural habitat.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Roper – I don't think you even had to justify yourself!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm not keen on the idea of keeping arachnids just because they make poor pets as one might think of pets, if you like a project and a learning process they're ideal. They display no personality (other than being slightly more or less irritable) and generally dislike people. The problem is most people who get them seem to get them for their "ooh look I've got an odd pet" appeal, then rapidly get bored. But not everyoen does, and I'm sure they quite like not being stressed to death and getting regular food. They probably don't have the emotional and psychological need to explore outside their world.

DezB
    Free Member

They probably don't have the emotional and psychological need to explore outside their world.

I'm sure if you look closely you can see a tear in the corner of Sandra's eye

solarider
    Free Member

Each to their own, but I think I'll stock to my 2 cats thanks!

Still, LOL at swamp_boy!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My ex sister-in-law once tried to tell the original joke from which that was paraphrased.

She said 'there were these two fish in a bowl…'

Dozy cow.

roper
    Free Member

Coffeeking I think its something you don't understand or just don't get. Most people have them because they like them, find them fascinating and want to learn more. There are some bad owners showing off and handling them but that is not accepted by most organisations and breeders or owners. Also organisations like the BTS (British Tarantula Society) work very hard on protecting species and their habitat.
    They make great pets (if you like that sort of thing). They take up very little room, eat once or twice a week at the very most, don't smell and are cleaned out every 6 months or so. They know what they are doing and so care for themselves most of the time.
    I have met quite a few people who just don't get it though. That's fine each to their own and all that.
    I find them amazing myself.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Those who like bugs’ is closed to new replies.