Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thorpe Arch/Wetherby/Spofforth cycle way
  • jennyh
    Free Member

Anyone ridden this that could let me know if it would be suitable for a kiddie trailer? I saw something that showed some very cycle unfriendly gates on the Spofforth end.

el_boufador

Yes you might have trouble depending on the width of the trailer. The spofforth end are mostly the A- shaped ones, which are about the width of road bike bars at the top, can’t get my mtb bars through without turning the wheel.
    Don’t know about Thorpe arch end (only ridden that once). Ps the Ginny green holes kids’ playground at the spofforth end is ace.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Thorpe arch end should bee fine if i remember rightly, but between spothforth and wetherby it was largely non cycle suitable cycle gates

jennyh
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. We are thinking of starting at the Thorpe Arch end to see how far we get, and Spofforth looks a much nicer place for the cafe stop. Playground would be good too, thanks for the tip, if we get there!

We can just fit the trailer through the horrible new A gates on the Leeds Liverlool canal near Rodley. Would’ve been very annoyed if not as we checked this width carefully before we spent a fortune on the trailer, then they changed the gates!

We’ll give it a go and see how far we get, will have to spend some time in Wetherby if we can’t get further.

As an aside, is there a traffic free option to Harrogate? I find the Sustrans website so difficult to use!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

From spothforth not really no. There’s a low traffic and off-road mix but not sure some of it would be great with a trailer. Spothforth isn’t a good call for a cafe – there isn’t one- but there used to be one signposted off the cycle way betwixt wetherby and spothforth.

jennyh
    Free Member

More very useful info, thanks. Looks like it’s a trip out to see how far we get and a caff stop in Wetherby 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

When you go from Thorpe Arch you can shout at the prisoners on A wing cos you pass the prison. 😉

igm

If the worst comes to the worst, the Crazy Tykes soft play place at Thorpe Arch is about 500m from one end of that cycle path.

As I recall, it’s OK up to Wetherby and much (but not all) of the way beyond.

antigee

times change must be around 8-9 years since rode to Spofforth from Wetherby with our little ones and their friends – seem to remember that there is some sort of castle ruins for the kids to play in and we had a good meal in a very friendly pub on the road leading to the castle from the end of the trail

jennyh
    Free Member

Update for anyone in the future – we managed the whole ride, the A gates were fine for our Croozer single trailer, we just had to uncouple the trailer to get through the last gate at Spofforth. No cafe (a definite business opportunity for someone there!) and the Castle Pub was being refurbished, but we did the extra couple of miles on a quiet road to Follifoot and found a nice pub for lunch.

Ginny Green Holes playground was a bit advanced for our 18 month old, but was good for a wander around looking at butterflies. The play area at Thorpe Arch was great though.

18 mile round trip with perfect weather 🙂

pennine
    Free Member

Hi Jenny, long time no see, and a youngster too 🙂

jennyh
    Free Member

Helloo Pennine! Great to see you’re still out riding, or at least reading forums about riding.. Yep, married and a mother!

pennine
    Free Member

Yes, still regularly riding the Yorkshire hills Jenny. You can catch up on Facebook.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thorpe Arch/Wetherby/Spofforth cycle way’ is closed to new replies.