Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Thomson Whore……..;o)
  • ton

are you???

naokfreek
    Free Member

Becoming one…..

mk1fan
    Free Member

Yes

tazzymtb

getting rid of mine, it's too heavy going back to easton ec90 stuff or rotor components.

forge197
    Free Member

Quite possibly

Ton – are you I am thinking yes……

ton

i am indeed.
    for a reason tho.
    got a new bike last week, rode it twice in the week.
    the spesh seatpost is now bent…..i have never ever bent a thomson one.

it is **** gorgeous stuff, and looks great too.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Best seatposts and stems on the market, Easton are a close second.

khani
    Free Member

on one bike i am, not on all of them it would get boring

forge197
    Free Member

Ton – Good reason , I use it because it just works and to date I've not had issues with any of the kit where I have had issues with other seatpost specfically in the past.

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, not got a single one of their products.

Slogo
    Free Member

welll they only make 3 bike products and you can only use two of them at a time.

its nice stuff, machined very well. ive got a stem. wouldnt buy it full price mind!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What njee said, although I have owned lots of Thomson stuff in the past however nowadays I prefer lighter weight kit, which Thomson isn't by a long chalk.

montylikesbeer

'fraid so

momo

Yup, great kit.

njee20
    Free Member

although I have owned lots of Thomson stuff in the past however nowadays I prefer lighter weight kit, which Thomson isn't by a long chalk.

Yep, that's me too. I'm not tough on kit, there's much lighter stuff out there for the same money.

sheldona
    Free Member

Just sold a couple, I have them on all of my bikes except 1.

si-wilson
    Free Member

What is lighter and as tough/durable and desirable?

Houns

Yep, new stem popped on one bike yesterday and a masterpiece post on another bike couple of weeks back – Now that is light

njee20
    Free Member

I never said as tough/durable, I said that I'm not tough on kit, I've never broken any seatpost or stem, so I don't really care. As for desireable… A) WGAS? and B) are Thomson really desirable? Every man and his dog has them!

As for what is lighter for the same sort of money, Ritchey stems are far lighter, they may well do a lighter seatpost for the same money, I'm happy to spend a bit more and get something which is far lighter, New Ultimate alu seatposts are around £100 retail and 135g, their stem is also 99g and £75.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yup but feeling guilty. Just fitted a non thomson seat post to one of my bikes. will I ever be forgiven.

sheldona
    Free Member

Kent Eriksen.

solarider
    Free Member

I have Thomson Masterpiece seatposts on 9 bikes. 8 straight, 1layback. Absolutely swear by them.

Also a Thomson road stem on my Colnago and a 1.5inch 45mm shorty on my Intense.

BIG Thomson fan! Maybe not the lightest, but very strong, great looking and fit and forget. Wish they made more components.

cynic-al
    Free Member

"gorgeous and look great"

*sniggers*

njee20
    Free Member

I have Thomson Masterpiece seatposts on 9 bikes. 8 straight, 1layback.

Yeah but you also have ridiculous handlebars on some of those bikes, which voids your opinion 😉

ton

i just wished they made bars too.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup. Stem and post can't see me ever changing if they made other stuff I'd buy that too. Nothing to do with looks I just trust it not to break.

solarider
    Free Member

Only because Thomson don't make them!

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Just put a seatpost on my Anthem. I felt a bit silly when I weighed the old one and realised the Thomson was about 20g heavier 😆

It looks gorgeous though and my choices were limited by the need for a layback post and the 30.9mm diameter.

pedalhead
    Free Member

For some reason the Thomson stuff just looks "right"…and tends to stay that way IME.

brakes
    Free Member

X4 stem is my favourite bike part
    if their stuff was about 20-30% cheaper I'd be a total Thomson slut

gee
    Free Member

"It looks gorgeous though and my choices were limited by the need for a layback post and the 30.9mm diameter"

Shim a 27.2 one.

ton

quality cost's.
    and i dont mind paying for quality. 8)

pinches
    Free Member

i'm running a stem and post, but to be honest, the stem isn't long enough and they don't do an 80mm version of an X4 stem, which is what i really need!

thefallguy
    Free Member

I don't think it seems that expensive when you consider it is unlikely to break (how much for that Ritchey carbon post? FFS!), the finish lasts better than most and you'll be able to sell it for a good price when the time comes. Bargain IMO

si-wilson
    Free Member

they don't do an 80mm version of an X4 stem

Yes they do, got one on my bike 🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

bought a 2nd hand stem for £30 for my trance the other day.
    bought a 2nd hand post for £12.50 for my dh bike the other day.
    nearly bought a 2nd hand post for £25 for my trance the other day but i haven't made the purchase yet.

so yeah i am becoming one it would seem. hard not to at those 2nd hand prices though!

westkipper
    Free Member

I'm a bit obsessed with lightweight kit, so in theory, my choice of Thomson x2 stems on all my bikes seems a bit odd since they're a good 30 grams heavier than other manufacturers, BUT, its well worth it for the extra stiffness.
    Their Masterpiece posts are right on the money though, as good as any carbon post out there, and the only reason there's not one of them on my roadbike is that the seattube creaks a bit if a metal post is used.
    In theory, I should hate Thomson; go to their website and you'll find lots of quotes from dodgy 'philosophers' like Ayn Rand and other manifest destinarians….
    …but when I want a post or a stem that just works I seem to give in. 😕

br
    Free Member

Been there, moved on to lighter gear that's as strong.

njee20
    Free Member

It looks gorgeous though and my choices were limited by the need for a layback post and the 30.9mm diameter.

Really? Aside from shimming there's the Spesh offerings, as well as Easton, Ritchey, FSA and Truvativ off the top of my head!

You didn't look that hard did you!

PJM1974
    Free Member

they don't do an 80mm version of an X4 stem, which is what i really need!

They do, I have one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Thomson Whore……..;o)’ is closed to new replies.