Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • This Forum – message reply/quoting
  • elzorillo
    Free Member

The procedure on this forum for replying to a post and quoting previous responder has to be one of the naffest, most archaic procedures I have EVER come across.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

’tis true

stumpy01

elzorillo – Member
    The procedure on this forum for replying to a post and quoting previous responder has to be one of the naffest, most archaic procedures I have EVER come across.

How so? Only takes about 5 seconds and you don’t end up with miles & miles of nested quotes like you do on some sites…..

EDIT – the procedure for posting in the correct forum is also pretty simple…… 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

really? simple enough to me

yunki
    Free Member

The procedure on this forum for replying to a post and quoting previous responder has to be one of the naffest, most archaic procedures I have EVER come across is too difficult for me and I don’t like it and I’m not doing it and I’ve got a note from my mum and everything so there!!.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t complain – you’ll have all the fanbois jumping out saying how much better this forum is than anywhere else and that things like this are either things you have to put up with to get that, or even that they’re what make it so great.

Edit: oh look, they’re here already

boxelder

The procedure on this forum for replying to a post and quoting previous responder has to be one of the naffest, most anarchic procedures I have EVER come across.

What’s anarchic about it?

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s not difficult but I agree it’s far from slick. There are a few features I see on other sites that I like but everything here is perfectly usable.

o96192083
    Free Member

What I don’t understand, why are some peopes name’s black, then you click member to view their profile, and others blue, and it goes straight there? Tis a bit odd.

joao3v16
    Free Member

you don’t end up with miles & miles of nested quotes like you do on some sites…..

This is justification enough for keeping it as it is.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I agree it is ‘usable’ but to have to copy paste the message you’re replying to and insert the quote tags is a pain.. It also makes following a conversation with more than one previous quote almost impossible to follow without faffing around splitting the posts up, inserting the users name etc etc

It’s plainly obvious when you compare it to just about every other forum our there that it leaves a lot to be desired.

Edit: Nested quotes is a good thing in my opinion. At least people can see who you are replying to and why.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I prefer the old fashioned forums, where you’d write something down on a piece of paper, scan it, then upload it to the page.

Quoting folk involved printing out their post, drawing a big box around it, scanning and uploading it.

It was all much more authentic.

jota180
    Free Member

I find it pretty much perfect TBH

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seriously though making quoting too easy, and having nested quotes, would become a complete and utter nightmare.

This is the perfect place for serial arguers and big-hitters due to the simplicity.

Garry_Lager

It is awful. I am generally a fanboi of the site’s style – but copy and paste someone’s text, with no facility to say who said what, is indeed archaic.

jota180
    Free Member

Garry_Lager – Member
    It is awful. I am generally a fanboi of the site’s style – but copy and paste someone’s text, with no facility to say who said what

Who said that?

Pook

nested quotes are shit.

joao3v16
    Free Member

copy and paste someone’s text, with no facility to say who said what, is indeed archaic

Can it be ‘archaic’?
    I didn’t think the interwebs had been around long enough …

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow Brant, you were an internet big-hitter back in the 90s!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What’s a forum?

aracer
    Free Member

I remember that, Brant (and also hardcore bicycle science) – 109 search results for me, and only 154 for Brant, so I was almost a big a hitter 😉

The thing is, quoting actually worked better with newsreaders than it does on here.

chvck
    Free Member

I might write a chrome extension that adds stuff like easy quoting (click quote on a post and it sticks the text in the reply box formatted and wrapped in quote tags), user ignore etc… if there’s interest and stw towers don’t mind me doing so!

grum
    Free Member

Sorry I agree with the OP – it’s especially annoying on a phone.

rootes1

I prefer the old fashioned forums, where you’d write something down on a piece of paper, scan it, then upload it to the page.

Quoting folk involved printing out their post, drawing a big box around it, scanning and uploading it.

It was all much more authentic.

Perhaps we should move to Monochrome BBS!

http://mono.org/ text based BBS ______\o/_______/(______

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘This Forum – message reply/quoting’ is closed to new replies.