Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • This DX light is crap.
  • Mugboo

Having followed all the chat on here i bought a DX light for my helmet as a back up to my Vision 2. It seems like a nice torch but 900 lumens?

My Hope's are 480 lumens and there is no comparison, in fact my mate turned with a Lidl £5 light that wasn't much worse. Is mine a duff un?

I can't believe people can use these on there own if this is as good as they gets.

lowey

I run a trailtech 13w HID (dont know the lumen output sorry) and next to my mates DX light, there is no difference, infact I would say the DX is slightly brighter.

neil853
    Free Member

i think you've got a duff'un. I went out with my mate last night who has a hope HID and mine if anything is slightly brighter?

DickBarton

Have you got it on full blast or the lowest setting? Which light did you buy? My DX light has 3 light outputs, a flash and SOS, but most of the links on STW show a light with 2 settings…I can't speak for that one, but unless you shell out £400+ on a light, there isn't anything out there that can give a better brightness – perhaps some with a more usable spread, etc. but none that go any brighter without spending serious cash.

Was the battery charged?

Horses for courses, one of my riding mates refused to buy the DX light as he believed something that cheap couldn't work so well…ended up with a very expensive light (which is good, but doesn't seem any better than the DX light) that pumps out a similar light output and light spread.

Mugboo

It says SF-15 on it and using the button on the end it is on or off only, is this right?

daim

@Mugboo – Sounds like you have bought the wrong light.

My DX light is easily brighter than my old Lupine Edison 5 HID. (with the Lupine on full 16w)

is this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149 what you bought?

Lucas
    Free Member

You press the button on the back to turn it on and off (so it clicks) but press it with less force to cycle through the different light outputs (no click)

Mugboo

Hope not i followed a link on here where someone kindly posted up which torch/battery/charger/plug adapter.

DezB
    Free Member
    daim

Oh, you bought a torch. Sorry mate, I thought you were referring to the DX 'bastid' light (which is awesome).

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

Doh!

Mugboo

Strange. When i first tryed the torch at home it would only start in flasing mode. Last night on its first outing it must have only used low power.
    Sat here in front of the computer i've got it to cycle through its modes so dodgy switch or more likely user error!!!

Thanks for your help.

Mugboo
    lowey

Fail

DezB
    Free Member

Is it really crap though? For $30?

takisawa2

SKU12060 is the one to go for. I tried a 2-mode version & the low setting was a bit too low to be usable. It also failed completely…but only after my little lad switched it on to high & left it standing on the lens on the floor.!!!
    DX exchanged it with no questions.

I found that the Li-Ion cells need a few cycles to get to full strength also, one of the cells I use loses a load of power once it starts to drain. Both of the 12060's that I use are easily as bright as the Hope 10w HID I used to have. Mine have been in regular use for nearly a year now.

Once you get the hang of the gentle push on the switch you'll have no problems.

glenh
    Free Member

You'll never get 900lm out of that torch anyway – it's just not possible with that combination of LED and battery.

In fact if it really lasts 2.5 hrs on max, then you'll only be getting about 300lm.

Mugboo

DezB

Now i've worked out how to cycle it, Doh! i'm sure it won't be crap but if you want a fast answer on here just try slagging off DX lights…

Mugboo

Or bigging up Superstar!!

saladdodger
    Free Member

What happened to superstars led light ?

daim

@saladdodger

Octopus Light?

joemarshall
    Free Member

If the switch seems dodgy, take off the back cap, and you can see two little holes in the switch endy bit that let you unscrew it. Unscrew it a little, then screw it back up tight and make sure it is quite nice and snug.

You need something to stick in the holes, obviously a pin spanner or something made for the job is perfect, but if you haven't got one, use something random and pointy – I used the leads from a multi-meter, cos they were what I happened to have handy. If it is a little loose, you get weirdy stuff happening with the button – I know this from experience thanks to my urge to take things apart and my lack of care when putting it back together.

Joe

Kahurangi

I have the same torch as the OP. It's brighter than either a mate's Hope (Vision 2) 2xHID light and my Trustfire P7 (that gives 2 hrs). This torch doesn't give anywhere near 2 hrs on full power either.

If it's dim then it may not be thermally connected or a dodgy unit.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

My DX P7 out performs my Hope HID

Mugboo

Thanks joemarshall if it happens again i'll check it out

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘This DX light is crap.’ is closed to new replies.