Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • This day in history
  • toomanybikes
    Free Member

A very emmotive subject this, but no matter which way you look at it, the ones to suffer are the innocent just going about their daily lives, whether they be the victims of American Bombing in Cambodia, of The Taliban Bombing of the Twin Towers, and lets not forget the bombings in London (though it would be interesting to ask Bush if he would have declared this international war on Terrorism if the London bombings had happened first) and the terrible Armagh bombing which left many civilians dead and injured. It seems the only ones to escape the consequences are the ones that started it, be they Bush, Blair, Bin Laden, McGuinness, Hitler, Stalin and the scores of other leaders down the ages.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

and anyway, today in History, was finally able to put a work safe picture on my STW calender, too many pc types around here for the arty September picture

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Bit off topic this, but seeing as toomanybikes just mentioned Stalin, I just thought I'd share this little gem with you. My wife recently started looking into her family tree, and although we were already aware that her mum's family originated in Russia, we only recently discovered that when her grandparents moved to England, they changed their surname to 'Stalyon' – anybody guess what it was originally?
    God bless great great grandaddy Joe is all I'm saying.
    Laugh – I nearly built a gulag.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

oh the irony, you're related to someone who sponsored terrorism

backhander
    Free Member

Ummmm with the risk of sounding like a pedant, I don't think it was Terry (talib) who drove aeroplanes into the towers.
    I think AQ might be more factual

toomanybikes
    Free Member

depends on how you look at it, Bush says the Taliban trained the Bombers, so therefore they were Taliban, just my take on things, please feel free to disagree, McBroon hasn't outlawed that yet

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Sponsored? that's like saying the Pope's a 'bit' religious. Now if only I could grow a nice thick 'tash…

toomanybikes
    Free Member

yeah, sponsored, his Red Army had the forms as they reeked havoc across europe in 1944/45

toomanybikes
    Free Member

The Pope was in the Hitler Jugend…………

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I'll give one rouble for avery dissident re-educated!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Arse! That was supposed to say 'every' – oh well, back to the state sponsored farm for me.

ivandrago
    Free Member

Barry Scott, Cilit Bang Phenomenon was born this day 1967.

backhander
    Free Member

Thats like saying Samsung won the premier league is it not?

enfht
    Free Member

If the taliban, who were running Afganistan at the time, attacked the twin towers I would see it as an act of war. But they didn't. The US bombing Cambodia was warfare not terrorism, because the two were in a state of war at the time. Japan strking Pearl Harbour was an act of war becuae it was carried out by Japan's armed forces. The IRA were terrorists because they didnt act on behalf of the irish government.

Anyhow Ernie getting back to your hero, was Che a terrorist?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If the taliban, who were running Afganistan at the time, attacked the twin towers I would see it as an act of war.

So you would not have seen it as an act of terrorism then !!!

Che you ask ? …….. no mate, I can't be bother to argue with someone about terrorism, if that person believes that the definition applies not to the "act", but only to the "individuals".

…………..unbelievable 😯

julianwilson
    Free Member

Wow, serious ancestry, Barnsleymitch! Stalin was his 'stage name' to give himself more political clout (it roughly translates as 'man of steel') -his original family name was Dzhugashvili and they were from Georgia, funnily enough his sons (given either or both names in 'istory
    books) fancied taking his more famous name on as their family name too… Interesting how many Eastern Europeans with less infamous names who settled here also changed or shortened their names (pesumably to sound less 'soviet' or be easily pronounced by locals).

enfht
    Free Member

If it was carried out by Afgani armed forces it would NOT have been an act of terrorism, you are correct

Anyhoo who's arguing. I'm simply asking your opinion and I guess if you don't want to give the answer then I know what your answer would be, afterall if you didn't think your hero Che was a terrorist then you'd be mortified by me calling him one wouldn't you…

Have you got any irish republican hero's?

8)

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘This day in history’ is closed to new replies.