Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Thinning out brake pads
  • comedyphil
    Free Member

Hi all

I recently put some new pads (for the first time) into my Hayes 9’s, and they seem to be rubbing against the rotors when i ride. At first, i thought it was all part of this “bedding in” process that i hear so much about, but after riding for several miles, it doesn’t seem to have gotten any better. It’s like riding in sand, the bike actually slows down whilst going downhill . . .

I’ve checked twice that the pistons are fully retracted, re-bled the brakes, all to no avail. It’s the same on both the front and rear sets. So my only conclusion is that the pads themselves are just a little bit too thick to start off with. If i wanted to rub a little bit off them, what’s the best way? Sandpaper? Glasspaper? Is there any specific kind that works well?

Any help/advice much appreciated!

perks

aaaaarrrrggghhh…it’ll put hairs on yer chest – ride through it lad, ride through it!

or a couple of hundred microns using some 500 grit…probably a thick batch…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

comedyphil – my ride on Weds night was ruined with new pads rubbing. had to pedal hard downhill!

my were Superstar Sintered – bedding in is tricky as they are so flippin’ grippy i couldn’t brake too hard for fear of over the bars incidents.

Seriously thinking of rubbing them down a bit tomorrow

bomberman
    Free Member

just get some BB7s and have done wth it

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i had the same problem with my hfx9s – i just let a bit of fluid out. just unscrew the beeld nipple and force the pads in, and a bit of fluid will dribble out.

should sort it.

if not your pads are faaaaaaaar too wide

ta

ben

grievoustim
    Free Member

i had to resort to sanding down some hayes pads once too

i don’t use hayes brakes anymore – the gap between pad and rotor is so small that rubbing seemed to be an almost constant issue.

MartinGT
    Free Member

I also have the same problem on Hayes, sanding em down is the only way I think

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Thinning out brake pads’ is closed to new replies.